Probabilistic models for analyzing the availability and profit of a deteriorating 2-out-of-4 system
Languages of publication
This paper deals with modelling and evaluating the availability and profit of a linear consecutive 2-out-of-4 system exposed to three consecutive stages of deterioration before failure. The system will pass through three consecutive stages of deterioration: slow, medium and fast before failure. The failure and repair times are assumed to be exponentially distributed. Explicit expressions for the system availability, the probability of a repairman being busy due to the failure of a unit, or due to the replacement of failed units, and the profit function have been derived using a probabilistic approach. The impacts of the failure and repair rate on system availability and profit have been investigated. The results of this paper will enhance system performance and ensure the timely execution of appropriate maintenance and improvement, and thus is a major tool for decision making, planning and optimisation.
- BARRON Y., FROSTIG E., LEVIKSON B., Analysis of r out of n systems with several repairmen, exponential life times and phase type repair times: an algorithmic approach, Eur. J. Oper. Res. 2006, 169, 202.
- GRALL A., BERENGUER C., DIEULLE L., A condition-based maintenance policy for stochastically deteriorating systems, Rel. Eng. System Safety, 2002, 76, 469.
- KHATAB A., NAHAS N., NOURELFATH M., Availbilty of k-out-of-n:G systems with non identical components subject to repair priorities, Rel. Eng. System Safety, 2009, 94, 142.
- SHAO J., LAMBERSON L.R., Modeling shared-load k-out-of-n:G systems. IEEE Trans. Rel., 1991, 40 (2), 2005.
- TANG Y., LAM Y., A δ shock maintenance model for a deteriorating system, Eur. J. Oper. Res., 2006, 168, 541.
- TRIVEDI K.S., Probability and Statistics with Reliability, Queuing and Computer Applications, Prentice-Hall, Eaglewood 1983.
- YUSUF I., HUSSAINI N., Evaluation of reliability and availability characteristics of 2-out of-3 standby system under a perfect repair condition, Am. J. Math. Stat., 2012, 2 (5), 114.
- YUSUF I., YUSUF B., Evaluation of reliability characteristics of two dissimilar network flow systems, Appl. Math. Sci., 2013, 7, 1983.
Publication order reference