Narrative, Knowledge and Moral Character in Art and Literature
Languages of publication
Although the term ‘narrative’ has been subject to very loose usage, it should be clear that scientific theories cannot be considered as such in the same sense as literary and artistic works. But this clearly calls the latter into serious epistemic question. On the one hand, we are often drawn to saying that agents have learned or come to know (morally or otherwise) something from literary of other artistic fictions; on the other hand, their fictional status seems to preclude regarding this as knowledge. Drawing on insights from Plato’s Socratic and other dialogues, this paper argues that such learning from art and literature should be deemed genuine knowledge of an epistemically uncontroversial kind.
- Carr, David (2016). “Virtue and knowledge”. Philosophy 91, 357: 375–390.
- Gettier, Edmund (1967). “Is justified true belief knowledge?”. In A. Phillips-Griffiths (ed.) Knowledge and Belief. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Hume, David (1985). A Treatise of Human Nature. Harmondsworth: Penguin.
- Lyotard, Jean-Francoise (1984). The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge. Minneapolis, Minnesota: The University of Minnesota Press.
- MacIntyre, Alasdair (1981). After Virtue. Notre Dame: Notre Dame Press.
- Murdoch, Iris (2003). Metaphysics as a Guide to Morals. London: Vintage Classics.
- Nagel, Thomas (1989). The View from Nowhere. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Plato (1961a). Symposium. In E. Hamilton and H. Cairns (eds.) Plato: The Collected Dialogues. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Plato (1961b). Theaetetus. In E. Hamilton and H. Cairns (eds.) Plato: The Collected Dialogues. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Taylor, Charles (1989). Sources of the Self: The Making of Modern Identity. Harvard: Harvard University Press.
- Taylor, Charles (2007). A Secular Age. Harvard: Harvard University Press.
- Wilde, Oscar (2012). The Picture of Dorian Gray. Harmondsworth: Penguin Classics.
- Wolfe, Tom (2010). The Bonfire of the Vanities, Introduction. New York: Random House.
- Zeffirelli, Franco (1977). Jesus of Nazareth. DVD.
Publication order reference