Postęp techniczny a rola zasobów naturalnych w procesie produkcji
Technological Progress and Natural Resources in Production Process
Languages of publication
The ongoing technological progress creates many new possibilities for the use of natural resources. Economic theory does not give a straight answer to questions on the role of resources in the production process - it is unclear if natural resources are complementary or substitutive with other factors. A natural question on the impact of these facts on longterm economic growth arise. There are opinions that technological progress will provide solution to all the problems associated with the depletion of the resources. The purpose of this paper is to attempt to answer questions about the theoretical relationship between long term economic growth, technological progress and the consumption of natural resources, taking into account the modern theory of growth and ecological economics. The main subject of research is the impact that role of natural resources (complementary or substitution) to the other factors of production can have on growth. An additional question is about role of exogenous technological progress.
- Cleveland C.J., Ruth M., When, where and by how much do biophysical limits constrain the economic process? A survey of Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen's contribution to ecological economics, "Ecological Economics" 1997, No. 22.
- Constanza R., Daly H.E., Natural Capital and Sustainable Development, "Conservation Biology" 1992, Vol. 6, No. 1.
- Dasgupta P., Natural Resources in the age of substitutability, in: Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, eds. A.V. Kneese, J.L. Sweeney, ESP B.V. 1993.
- Dasgupta P., Heal G., The Optimal Depletion of Exhaustible Resources, "Review of Economic Studies" 1974, Symposium volume.
- Georgescu-Roegen, The Entropy Law and the Economic Process, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, 1971.
- Growiec J., Schumacher I., On technical change in the elasticities of resource inputs, "Resources Policy" 2008, No. 33.
- Lin C., Meng H., Ngai T., Oscherov V., Zhu Y., Hotelling revisited: Oil prices and Endogenous Technological Progress, "Natural Resources Research" 2009, Vol. 18, No. 1.
- Solow R., Intergenerational Equity and Exhaustible Resources, "Review of Economic Studies" 1974, Symposium volume.
- Stiglitz J., Growth with Exhaustible Resources: Efficient and Optimal Growth Paths, "Review of Economic Studies" 1974, Symposium volume.
Publication order reference