CONSTRUCTION OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE INDEX USING DEA
Languages of publication
There is wide range of environmental performance indicators. The more sophisticated they are, the more arbitrary viewpoint they take. The EPI weights are established based on experts’ judgments form Yale University and Columbia University team. In the article was analysed the changes in the EPI when the weights had been replaced with the weights determined by Data Envelopment Analysis. DEA determines weights that maximize the performance of each unit with some assumptions. Not for every European country this approach turned out to be the better option.
- Callens I., Tyteca D. (1999) Towards indicators of sustainable development for ﬁrms. A productive efﬁciency perspective, Ecological Economics, vol. 28, issue 1, pp. 41–53.
- Charnes A., Cooper W.W., Rhodes E. (1978) Measuring the Efficiency of Decision Making Units, European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 2, issue 6, pp. 429–444.
- Chodakowska E., Komuda M. (2010) Zgodność rankingów jednostek sektora edukacji uzyskanych za pomocą metody obwiedni danych, Prace Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wrocławiu, Taksonomia 107, pp. 492–500.
- Emerson J.W., Hsu A., Levy M.A., Sherbinin de A., Mara V., Esty D.C., Jaiteh M. (2012) Environmental Performance Index and Pilot Trend Environmental Performance Index. New Haven: Yale Center for Environmental Law and Policy. Available: http://www.epi.yale.edu/.
- Hsu A., Emerson J., Levy M., Sherbinin de A., Johnson L., Malik O., Schwartz J., Jaiteh M. (2014) The 2014 Environmental Performance Index. New Haven, CT: Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy. Available: www.epi.yale.edu.
- Hsu A., Johnson L.A., Lloyd A. (2013) Measuring Progress: A Practical Guide From the Developers of the Environmental Performance Index (EPI). New Haven:Yale Center for Environmental Law & Policy.
- Meng F.Y., Fan L.W., Zhou P., Zhou D.Q. (2013) Measuring environmental performance in China’s industrial sectors with non-radial DEA, Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 58, issue 5-6, pp 1047–1056.
- Nazarko J. (2010) DEA method in efficiency assessment of public higher education institutions, Performance Management and Measurement with Data Envelopment Analysis, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, pp. 177–182.
- Ramanathan R. (2003) An introduction to Data Envelopment Analysis: a tool for performance measurement, Sage Publications, New Delhi.
- Tyteca D. (1996) On the Measurement of the Environmental Performance of Firms —
- A Literature Review and a Productive Efﬁciency Perspective, Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 46, issue 3, pp. 281–308.
- Zhou P., Ang B.W., Poh K.L. (2008) Measuring environmental performance under different environmental DEA technologies, Energy Economics, vol. 30, issue 1, pp. 1–14.
- Zhou P., Poh K.L., Ang B. W. (2007) A non-radial DEA approach to measuring environmental performance, European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 178, issue 1, pp. 1–9.
Publication order reference