Burnout syndrome impacts on quality of life in nursing professionals: The contribution of perceived social support
Languages of publication
Purpose: To examine the impacts of burnout that has in health-related quality of life (QOL) in nursing staff in Greece. The association of social support with burnout and QOL is also investigated. Materials and methods: Individuals working in Mental and General Hospitals in the broader area of Athens participated in this study (N.139). The measurement tools include a) the Maslach Burnout Inventory (MBI), b) the SF-36 Health Survey and c. the Multidimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support. Burnout and QOL are expected to be related to the evaluation of social environment. Results: The results indicated the impacts that burnout has on quality of life and the positive effect of social support for nursing professionals in the levels of burnout. Conclusions: There is an association between burnout, quality of life and social support. Social support and socio-demographic factors appear to affect the levels of burnout to Psychiatric and General Hospital.
- Firth-Cozens J, Payne R. Stress in Health Professionals: Psychological and Organisational Causes and Interventions. U.K. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 1999.
- Belcastro PA, Gold RS. Teacher stress and burnout: Implications for school health personnel. J Sch Health. 1983 Sep;53(7):404-7.
- Greenglass ER, Julkunen J. Cook-Medley hostility, anger, and the Type A behavior pattern in Finland. Psychol Rep. 1991 Jun;68 (3Pt 2):1059-66.
- Daley MR. Burnout: Smoldering problems in protective services. Social Work. 1979; 24(5): 375-9.
- Freudenberger HJ. The staff burnout syndrome in alternative institutions. Psychol Psychother Theor Res Pract. 1975; 12(1):73-82.
- Barutçu E, Serinkan C. Burnout Syndrome of Teachers: An Empirical Study in Denizli in Turkey. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2013; 89:318-322
- Ptacek R, Celedova L, Kuzelova H, Cevela H, Kebza V, Solcova I. Stress and burnout syndrome in medical professions in the Czech Republic. Eur Psychiatry. 2011;26(Suppl 1): 1598.
- Kalandyk H, Penar-Zadarko B. A perception of professional problems by nurses. Prog Health Sci. 2013;3(2):100-9.
- Bakker AB, Killmer CH, Siegriest J, Schaufeli WB. Effort-reward imbalance and burnout among nurses. J Adv Nurs. 2000; 31:884-91.
- Sahraian Α, Fazelzadeh Α, Mehdizadeh ΑR, Toobaee SH. Burnout in hospital nurses: a comparison of internal, surgery, psychiatry and burns wards. Int Nurs Rev. 2008 Mar;55(1):62-7.
- Corrigan PW, Diwan SL, McCracken SG, Oliver K, Backs A, Rashid F, Campion J, Farmer RD. Organizational Correlates to Staff Attitudes about Behavioural Programmes. Behav Change. 2001 Jun;18(2):114-23.
- WHO. Measuring quality of life. The world health organization quality of life instruments. Geneva 1997.p 1- 13.
- Dyrbye LN, Thomas MR, Huschka MM, Lawson KL, Novotny PJ, Sloan JA, Shanafelt TD. A Multicentre study of burnout, depression and quality of life in minority and non minority. US medical students. Mayo Clin Proc. 2006 Nov; 81(11):1435-42.
- Lipovčan K, Larsen P, Žganec, N. Quality of life, life satisfaction and happiness in shift- and non-shift workers. Rev Saude Publica. 2004 Dec; 38 (Suppl): 3-10.
- Conrad D, Guentgher YK. Compassion fatigue burnout and compassion satisfaction among Colorado child protection workers. Child Abuse Negl. 2006 Oct; 30(10):1071-80.
- 1Bryant R, Madonna G. Multiple role balance, job satisfaction and life satisfaction in women school counselors.2006. [cited 2013 October 6] Available from www. the free library.com.
- Maslach, C. Burnout: The cost of caring. New York: Prentice Hall.1982.
- Pines A, Aronson E & Kafry D. Burnout: From tedium to personal growth. New York: The Free Press.1981.
- Yap MB, Devilly GJ. The role of perceived social support in crime victimization. Clin Psychol Rev. 2004 Mar; 24(1):1-14.
- Uchino BN. Understanding the links between social support and physical health a life-span perspective with emphasis on the separability of perceived and received support. Perspect Psychol Sci. 2009 May; 4(3): 236-55.
- Cherniss C, Dantzig S. Preventing and managing job-related stress. In R R. Kilburg, PE. Nathan, RW Thoreson (Eds.), Professionals in distress: Issues, syndromes, and solutions in psychology. Washington D.C.: American Psychological Association.1986.
- Maslach C, Jackson SE, Leiter, MP. Maslach Burnout Inventory manual. 3th ed. Palo Alto, California: Consulting Psychologists Press; 1996.
- Lenert L, Kaplan R. Validity and interpretation of preference-based measures of Health-Related Quality of Life. Med Care. 2000 Sep;38(9 Suppl): II 138-50.
- McDowell I, & Newell C. Measuring health: a guide to rating scales and questionnaires (2nd ed.). New York: Oxford University Press; 1996.
- Canty-Mitchell J, Zimet GD. Psychometric properties of the multidimensional scale of perceived social support in urban adolescents. Am J Community Psychol. 2000 Jun;28(3): 391-400.
- Cecil H, Stanley M, Carrion P, Swann A. Psychometric properties of the MSPSS and NOS in psychiatric outpatients. J Clin Psychol. 1995 Sep;51(5):593-602.
- Chou KL. Assessing Chinese adolescents’ social support: The multidimensional scale of perceived social support. Pers Individ Dif. 2000; 28(2): 299-307.
- Zimet G, Dahlem N, Zimet S, Farley G. The Multidimensional scale of perceived social support. J Pers Assess. 1988;52:30-41.
- Eker D, Arkar H, Yaldiz H. Generality of support sources and psychometric properties of a scale of perceived social support in Turkey. Soc Psychol Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2000 May; 35(5):228-33.
- Theofilou P, Zyga S, Tzitzikos G, Malindretos P, Kotrotsiou, E. Assessing social support in Greek patients on maintenance hemodialysis: Psychometric Properties of the Multi-dimensional Scale of Perceived Social Support. In Chronic Kidney Disease: Signs/Symptoms, Management Options and Potential Compli-cations. Ed. Rasheed A. Balogun, Emaad M. Abdel-Rahman, and Seki A. Balogun. Nova Publishers. 2013. p 265-79.
- Suñer-Soler R, Grau-Martín A, Font-Mayolas S, Gras E, Bertran C, Sullman M. Burnout and quality of life among Spanish healthcare personnel. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2013 Apr; 20(4):305-13.
- Umberson D, Montez JK. Social relationships and health: a flashpoint for health policy. J Health Soc Behav. 2010; 51 Suppl: S54-66.
- Douvanas A, Mpaliou M, Pandelaki A, Pousderki P, Marvaki Ch. A pilot study about the burn out investigation of PICU medical and nursing personnel for a pediatric hospital. Rostrum of Asclepius. 2011 Jul;10(3):373-88.
- Bellali Th, Kontodimopoulos N, Kalafati M, Niakas D. Exploring the effect of professional burnout on health-related quality of life in Greek nurses. Arch Hell Med. 2007;24(Suppl 1):75–84.
- Celalettin S, Keziban K. Defining the Quality of Life Levels of the Nurses: A Study in Pamukkale University. Procedia - Soc Behav Sci. 2013 Oct; 89:580 - 4.
- Kheiraoui F, Gualano MR, Mannocci A, Boccia A, La Torre G. Quality of life among healthcare workers: A multicenter cross-sectional study in Italy. Public Health. 2012 Jul; 126(7):624-9.
- Anis Tu Haque M, Sohail T. Stress, social support and burnout in nurses. Pakistan J Psychol Res. 1997;12:77-86.
- Jenkins R, Elliott P. Stressors, burnout and social support: nurses in acute mental health settings. J Adv Nurs. 2004 Dec;48(6):622-31.
Publication order reference