Cancer of the gallbladder – own experience
Languages of publication
Gallbladder cancer is a relatively rare cancer of the gastrointestinal tract, most commonly detected (approximately 95% of cases) in the most advanced clinical stage IV and burdened with high mortality rate. This is mainly due to the nonspecific symptoms in the early stages of the disease. The remaining cases of gallbladder cancer are usually detected after surgery due to gallstone disease. Gallstones, their size and pancreatic juice reflux into the gallbladder are risk factors in the development of gallbladder cancer. In this paper the authors carried out a retrospective research based on an evaluation of a group of 38 patients treated surgically due to the gallbladder cancer in the years 2005-2012 in the Second Department of General and Gastroenterological Surgery in Białystok Medical University Hospital. In this group there were 29 women and 9 men, in age between 48-86 years. Although women suffered from gallbladder cancer more often than men, their survival rate was significantly better after the surgery. The research showed some benefits of extended surgical procedures even in patients with advanced stages of the disease, while the effectiveness of surgical treatment depends mainly on the possibility of radical resection of the primary lesion and, eventually, the resection of lymph nodes and other infiltrated tissues.
- Wright BE, Lee CC, Iddings DM, Kavanagh M, Bilchik AJ. Management of T2 gallbladder cancer: are practice patterns consistent with national recommendations? Am J Surg. 2007 Dec;194(6):820-6.
- Gourgiotis S, Kocher HM, Solaini L, Yarollahi A, Tsiambas E, Salemis NS. Gallbladder cancer. Am J Surg. 2008 Aug;196(2):252-64.
- Liang JL, Chen MC, Huang HY, Ng SH, Sheen-Chen SM, Liu PP, Kung CT, Ko SF. Gallbladder carcinoma manifesting as acute cholecystitis: clinical and computed tomo-graphic features. Surgery. 2009 Nov;146(5): 861-8.
- Qu K, Chang HL, Liu SN, Liu C, Xu XS, Wang RT, Zhou L, Tian F, Wei JC, Tai MH, Meng FD. Prognosis and management for gallbladder cancer with hepatic invasion: long-term results of 139 patients from a single center in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2012;13(3):1015-8.
- Memon MA, Anwar S, Shiwani MH, Memon B. Gallbladder carcinoma: a retrospective analysis of twenty-two years experience of a single teaching hospital. Int Semin Surg Oncol. 2005 Mar 17;2(1):6.
- Ishida J, Ajiki T, Hara S, Ku Y. Gallbladder calcification leads to discovery of carcinosarcoma of the gallbladder. Surgery. 2012 Nov;152(5):934-5.
- Tyagi AK. Surgical management of carcinoma of gall bladder. Med J Armed Forces India. 2012 Jul;68(3):293-5.
- Antonakis P, Alexakis N, Mylonaki D, Leandros E, M Konstadoulakis M, Zografos G, Androulakis G. Incidental finding of gallbladder carcinoma detected during or after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2003 May; 29(4):358-60.
- Yildirim E, Celen O, Gulben K, Berberoglu U. The surgical management of incidental gallbladder carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2005 Feb;31(1):45-52.
- Miller G, Jarnagin WR. Gallbladder carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2008 Mar;34(3):306-12.
- Pilgrim CH, Usatoff V, Evans PM. A review of the surgical strategies for the management of gallbladder carcinoma based on T stage and growth type of the tumour. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009 Sep;35(9):903-7.
- Pilgrim CH, Usatoff V, Evans P. Consideration of anatomical structures relevant to the surgical strategy for managing gallbladder carcinoma. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009 Nov;35(11):1131-6.
- Shrikhande SV, Barreto SG, Singh S, Udwadia TE, Agarwal AK. Cholelithiasis in gallbladder cancer: coincidence, cofactor, or cause! Eur J Surg Oncol. 2010 Jun;36(6):514-9.
- Cho SY, Han SS, Park SJ, Kim YK, Kim SH, Woo SM, Lee WJ, Kim TH, Hong EK. T-category reflects the histopathologic chara-cteristics of gallbladder cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2012 Jun;38(6):537-42.
- Muratore A, Polastri R, Capussotti L. Radical surgery for gallbladder cancer: current options. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2000 Aug;26(5):438-43.
- Duffy A, Capanu M, Abou-Alfa GK, Huitzil D, Jarnagin W, Fong Y, D'Angelica M, Dematteo RP, Blumgart LH, O'Reilly EM. Gallbladder cancer (GBC): 10-year experience at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre (MSKCC). J Surg Oncol. 2008 Dec;1;98(7):485-9.
- Wood R, Fraser LA, Brewster DH, Garden OJ. Epidemiology of gallbladder cancer and trends in cholecystectomy rates in Scotland, 1968-1998. Eur J Cancer. 2003 Sep;39(14):2080-6.
- Boutros C, Gary M, Baldwin K, Somasundar P. Gallbladder cancer: past, present and an uncertain future. Surg Oncol. 2012 Dec;21 (4):e183-91.
- Rossi M, Bencini L, Calistri M, Manetti R, Farsi M. Gallbladder neoplasm: a single institution experience according to the standard current management. Minerva Chir. 2012 Oct;67(5): 389-97.
- Thomas MB. Biological characteristics of cancers in the gallbladder and biliary tract and targeted therapy. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2007 Jan;61(1):44-51.
- Yoshida T, Matsumoto T, Sasaki A, Morii Y, Ishio T, Bandoh T, Kitano S. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in the treatment of patients with gall bladder cancer. J Am Coll Surg. 2000 Aug;191(2):158-63.
- Whalen GF, Bird I, Tanski W, Russell JC, Clive J. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy does not demonstrably decrease survival of patients with serendipitously treated gallbladder cancer. J Am Coll Surg. 2001 Feb;192(2):189-95.
- Choi SB, Han HJ, Kim CY, Kim WB, Song TJ, Suh SO, Kim YC, Choi SY. Fourteen year surgical experience of gallbladder cancer: validity of curative resection affecting survival. Hepatogastroenterology. 2012 Jan-Feb;59 (113):36-41.
- Behari A, Sikora SS, Wagholikar GD, Kumar A, Saxena R, Kapoor VK. Longterm survival after extended resections in patients with gallbladder cancer. J Am Coll Surg. 2003 Jan; 196(1):82-8.
- Coburn NG, Cleary SP, Tan JC, Law CH. Surgery for gallbladder cancer: a population-based analysis. J Am Coll Surg. 2008 Sep;207 (3):371-82.
- Lai CH, Lau WY. Gallbladder cancer- a comprehensive review. Surgeon. 2008 Apr;6 (2) :101-10.
- D'Hondt M, Lapointe R, Benamira Z, Pottel H, Plasse M, Letourneau R, Roy A, Dagenais M, Vandenbroucke-Menu F. Carcinoma of the gallbladder: patterns of presentation, prognostic factors and survival rate. An 11-year single centre experience. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013 Jun;39(6):548-53.
- Ishak G, Ribeiro FS, Costa DS, Bahia LA, Dias EM, Assumpção PP. Gallbllader cancer: 10 years of experience at an Amazon reference hospital. Rev Col Bras Cir. 2011 Mar-Apr;38(2):100-4.
- Smith GC, Parks RW, Madhavan KK, Garden OJ. A 10-year experience in the management of gallbladder cancer. HPB (Oxford). 2003;5(3):159-66.
- Ong SL, Garcea G, Thomasset SC, Neal CP, Lloyd DM, Berry DP, Dennison AR. Ten-year experience in the management of gallbladder cancer from a single hepatobiliary and pancreatic centre with review of the literature. HPB (Oxford). 2008;10(6):446-58.
- Koh CY, Demirjian AN, Chen WP, McLaren CE, Imagawa DK. Validation of revised American Joint Committee on Cancer staging for gallbladder cancer based on a single institution experience. Am Surg. 2013 Oct;79(10):1045-9.
Publication order reference