Fostering critical thinking skills among future teachers
Languages of publication
Today, a person who thinks critically is able to conduct a dialogue, determine the nature of any problem and find alternative solutions, and distinguish fact from assumption. This person is not afraid to question established opinions and judgments. That is why such kind of people are considered to be competitive and in demand on the labor market. The article, based on modern scientific positions, reveals the meaning of “critical thinking”. The development of critical thinking is based on observation skills; on the ability to ask questions and find the necessary resources; on the ability to check beliefs, assumptions and opinions, contrary to the evidence; on the ability to distinguish and identify a problem; on the ability to assess the validity of statements and arguments; and on the ability to find and make smart decisions, and understand the logic and logical arguments. The authors of the article found that the process of solving pedagogical problems was the basic unit of critical thinking skills among future teachers. The availability of critical thinking skills among future teachers is determined by using a critical thinking test, developed by Lauren Starkey, an American author (Starkey, 2004). The analysis of the survey results shows that the majority of respondents have an average level of critical thinking skills. The average level of critical thinking skills indicates that an average future teacher’s forms of thinking are unevenly developed. That is why it is difficult for a future teacher to make important decisions. We propose to foster critical thinking skills by solving pedagogical problems, which involves the use of modern interactive forms, methods and techniques of teaching.
- Academic preparation for college. What student need to know and be able to do. (1983). (Publication No. ED232517). College Entrance Examination Board. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED232517
- Bielkina-Kovalchuk, O. (2006). Formuvannja krytychnogo myslennja uchniv pochatkovyh klasiv u procesi navchannja [Formation of critical thinking of primary school pupils in the learning process] (PhD dissertation). Volyn State University named after Lesya Ukrainka.
- Brożek, A., & Jadacki, J. (Eds.). (2013). Kazimierz Twardowski. Myśl, mowa i czyn. Copernicus Center Press.
- Brushlinskij, A. (1996). Subekt: myshlenie, uchenie, voobrazhenie [Subject: thinking, teaching, imagination]. Institut Prakticheskoj Psihologii.
- Brushlinskij, A., & Tihomirov, O. (2013). O tendencijah razvitija sovremennoj psihologii myshlenija [About the tendencies of the development of modern psychology of thinking]. Nacional'nyj Psihologicheskij Zhurnal [National Psychological Journal], 2(10), 10-16. https://doi.org/10.11621/npj.2013.0201
- Dewey, J. (1999). Psihologija i pedagogika myshlenija. (Kak my myslim) [Philosophy and pedagogy of thinking. How we think]. Izdatel'stvo "Labirint".
- Gąsiorowska, B., & Gąsiorowski, P. (2019). Transforming 21st-century leader competencies by developing mindfulness. e-mentor, 5(82), 52-61. https://doi.org/10.15219/em82.1445
- Halpern, D. (2000). Psihologija kriticheskogo myshlenija [Psychology of critical thinking]. Piter.
- Hessen, S. (1973). Filozofia, kultura, wychowanie. Ossolineum.
- Khachumjan, T. (2005). Formuvannja krytychnogo myslennja studentiv vyshhyh navchal'nyh zakladiv zasobamy informacijnyh tehnologij [Formation of critical thinking of higher educational institutions students by means of information technologies] (PhD dissertation). H. S. Skovoroda Kharkiv National Pedagogical University.
- Kluster, D. (2005). Chto takoe kriticheskoe myshlenie [What is critical thinking]. CGL.
- Kolesova, O. (2010). Formuvannja krytychnogo myslennja u majbutnih ekonomistiv zasobamy interaktyvnyh tehnologij navchannja [Formation of critical thinking in future economists by means of interactive learning technologies] (PhD dissertation). Classic Private University.
- Konarzhevska, V. (2009). Formuvannja krytychnogo myslennja majbutnih oficeriv u procesi profesijnoi' pidgotovky [Formation of critical thinking of future officers in the course of professional training] (PhD dissertation). H. S. Skovoroda Kharkiv National Pedagogical University.
- Kostiuk, G. (1988). Izbrannye psihologicheskie Trudy [Selected psychological works]. Pedagogika.
- Kottrell, S. (2016). Iskusstvo myslit' i uspeh v uchjobe, kar'ere, zhizni. 500 uprazhnenij dlja razvitija mozga [The art of thinking and success in school, career, and life. 500 exercises for brain development]. EKSMO.
- Kuzmina, N. (2005). Specialisty - subekty izuchenija produktivnosti svoej dejatel'nosti (v svete akmeologicheskoj teorii fundamental'nogo obrazovanija) [Specialists - subjects of studying the productivity of their activities (in the light of the acmeological theory of fundamental education]. CSI Publishing House.
- Kyjenko-Romanjuk, L. (2007). Rozvytok krytychnogo myslennja students'koi' molodi jak zagal'nopedagogichna problema [Development of critical thinking of students as a general pedagogical problem] (PhD. Dissertation). Institute of Higher Education of APS of Ukraine.
- Lutsenko, E. (2014). Adaptacija testa kriticheskogo myshlenija L. Starki [Adaptation of L. Starkey's critical thinking test]. Visnik Harkivs'kogo nacional'nogo universitetu imeni V. N. Karazina. Serija: Psihologija [Bulletin of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University. Series: Psychology], 1110, 65-70.
- Marchenko, O. (2007). Pedagogichni umovy formuvannja krytychnogo myslennja kursantiv u procesi navchannja u vyshhyh vijs'kovyh navchal'nyh zakladah [Pedagogical conditions for the formation of critical thinking of cadets in the process of training in higher military educational institutions]. (PhD dissertation). V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University.
- Moliako, V. (2000). Psihologicheskaja sistema treninga konstruktivnogo myshlenija [Psychological system of constructive thinking training.]. Voprosy psihologii [Psychological Issues], 1, 136-141.
- Paul, R. W., & Binker, A. J. A. (1990). Critical thinking: what every person needs to survive in a rapidly changing world. Rohnert Park, CA: Center for Critical Thinking and Moral Critique, Sonoma State University.
- Pometun, E., Sushhenko, I., Pilipchatina, L., & Baranova, I. (2012). Kriticheskoe myshlenie dlja vseh: Samouchitel' [Critical thinking for everyone: a self-study guide]. Osvita.
- Popkov, V., Korzhuev, A., & Rjazanova, E. (2001). Kriticheskoe myshlenie v kontekste zadach vysshego professional'nogo obrazovanija [Critical thinking in the context of the problems of higher professional education]. MGU Publishing House.
- Rubinshtein, S. (2015). Osnovy obshhej psihologi [Fundamentals of general psychology]. Piter.
- Starkey, L. (2004). Critical thinking skills success in 20 minutes a day. Learning Express, LLC.
Publication order reference