Privacy Risk - not a risk for Romanian Online Shoppers?
Languages of publication
Online shopping has been intensively studied in connection with perceived risk, which is known to be a deterrent of e-commerce. Perceived risk in e-commerce is a multi- dimensional construct composed of several types of risks such as: financial risk, product risk, social risk, psychological risk, delivery risk and privacy risk. One of the dimensions of perceived risk that is worth investigating is privacy risk. Online shops, nowadays, register all the data of their buyers and set up client databases that sometimes are sold to third parties. Thus, personal data can be used without the buyers' approval and fraud is possible to happen. A serious threat is credit card data theft, whereas at a lower level of importance, the buyers can be spammed with unwanted offers that invade their privacy. The present study aims to determine the relative influence of privacy risk on intention to adopt e-commerce in comparison with other types of risk. To identify the influence of privacy risk on intention to adopt we used a structural equation model and confirmatory factor analysis.
- Bauer R.A., Cox D.F.: Consumer Behavior As Risk Taking. In: Risk Taking and Information Handling in Consumer Behavior. Ed. D. Cox. Harvard University Press 1967.
- Cox D.F. & Rich S.U.: Perceived Risk and Consumer Decision-Making: The Case of Telephone Shopping. "Journal of Marketing Research" 1964, 1(4).
- Cox D.F.: Risk Handling In Consumer Behavior - An Intensive Study Of Two Cases. In: Risk Taking and Information Handling in Consumer Behavior. Ed. D. Cox. Harvard University Press 1967.
- Crespo Á.H., Bosque del I.R. & Salmones Sánchez de los M.M.G.: The Influence Of Perceived Risk On Internet Shopping Behavior: A Multidimensional Perspective. "Journal of Risk Research" 2009, 12(2).
- Featherman M.S. & Pavlou P.A.: Predicting e-services Adoption: A Perceived Risk Facets Perspective. "International Journal of Human-Computer Studies" 2003, 59(4).
- Forsythe S., Liu C., Shannon D. & Gardner L.C.: Development Of A Scale To Measure The Perceived Benefits And Risks Of Online Shopping. "Journal Of Interactive Marketing" 2006, 20(2).
- Gefen D., Karahanna E. & Straub D.: Trust and TAM in Online Shopping: An Integrated Model. "Mis Quarterly" 2003, 27(1).
- Jacoby J. & Kaplan L.B.: The Components Of Perceived Risk. In: Proceedings of the Third Annual Conference of the Association for Consumer Research. Ed. M. Venkatesan. 1972.
- Liebermann Y. & Stashevsky S.: Perceived Risks as Barriers to Internet and Ecommerce Usage. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal 2002, 5(4).
- Loehlin J.C.: Latent Variable Models: An Introduction to Factor, Path, and Structural Analysis. Mahwah, Erlbaum NJ, 1992.
- Mitchell V.-W.: Consumer Perceived Risk: Conceptualisations And Models. "European Journal of Marketing" 1999, 33, 163-195(33).
- Roselius T.: Consumer Rankings of Risk Reduction. "The Journal of Marketing" 1971, 35(1).
- Tabachnick B.G., Fidell L.S.: Using Multivariate Statistics (3rd ed.). Harper Collins College Publishers, New York 1996.
Publication order reference