Single European Market after Brexit
Languages of publication
Present economic situation in the EU after the crisis of 2008–2010, escalating protectionism among EU Member States, voices in favour of reindustrialization of the EU economy in a traditional style of the 1970s and the 1980s, and the British leadership in services and new business models are the most important challenges for the future development of the EU Internal Market, as well as for the EU economy, as a whole. Therefore, the aim of the paper is to evaluate changes in the structure of the EU economy and intra EU trade in the context of Brexit. To this end, we will analyse changes in values and shares of selected sectors directly linked to the EU Internal Market in value added and intra EU trade in 2010–2014. Moreover, in order to grasp potential consequences of Brexit, we will compare data for the EU-28 and the EU-27 (without the UK). Our research allows us to conclude that Brexit may result in reduced supply of innovative and business services with the highest added value in favour of higher shares of regular manufacturing sectors within the internal market of the EU (both in value added and intra EU-27 trade). Therefore, after the UK leaves, the EU-27 will lose its competitiveness and a strong position in intra EU trade vis-à-vis third countries.
- Ambroziak A.A., Handlowe skutki ewolucji prawa swobodnego przepływu towarów. Bilans dwudziestolecia istnienia rynku wewnętrznego UE, „Studia Europejskie”, no. 65/2013, pp. 75–100.
- Ambroziak A.A., Handlowe skutki ewolucji prawa swobody świadczenia usług. Bilans dwudziestolecia istnienia rynku wewnętrznego UE, „Studia Europejskie”, no. 66/2013, pp. 55–74.
- Ambroziak A.A., Renaissance of the European Union’s Industrial Policy, “Yearbook of Polish European Studies”, no. (17)/2014, pp. 37–58.
- Ambroziak A.A., Europeanization of Industrial Policy: Towards Re-Industrialisation? in: Europeanization Processes from the Mesoeconomic Perspective: Industries and Policies, eds. P. Stanek, K. Wach, Cracow University of Economics, Kraków 2015, pp. 61–94.
- Ambroziak A.A., Reindustrialization or servitization: trade tendencies in the European Union internal market, in: Unia Europejska wobec wyzwań przyszłości. Aspekty prawne, finansowe i handlowe, eds. E. Małuszyńska, G. Mazur, P. Idziak, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Poznaniu, Poznań 2015, pp. 225–240.
- Antonelli C., Localized technological change, new information technology and the knowledge-based economy: The European evidence, “Journal Of Evolutionary Economics”, no. 8(2)/1998, pp. 177–198.
- Balassa B., Trade Liberalization and “Revealed” Comparative Advantage, “The Manchester School of Economic and Social Studies”, no. 33(2)/1965, pp. 99–123.
- Broadberry S., Market Services and the Productivity Race, 1850–2000: Britain, the United States and Germany, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2007.
- Buera F.J., Kaboski J.P., Scale and the Origins of Structural Change, “Journal of Economic Theory”, no. 147/2012, pp. 684–712.
- Castellacci F., Technological paradigms, regimes and trajectories: Manufacturing and service industries in a new taxonomy of sectoral patterns of innovation, “Research Policy”, no. 37(6–7)/2007, pp. 978–994.
- Castellacci F., Structural Change and the Growth of Industrial Sectors: Empirical Test of a GPT Model, “The Review of Income and Wealth”, no. 56(3)/2013, pp. 449–482.
- Chang H.-J., Andreoni A., Kuan M.L., International industrial policy experience and the Lessons for the UK, Future of Manufacturing Project: Evidence Paper 4 Foresight, Government Office for Science 2013.
- Circia D., Palma D., To what extent are knowledge-intensive business services contributing to manufacturing? A subsystem analysis, “IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation”, no. 2/2012.
- Deardorff A.V., International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation, “Review of International Economics”, no. 9(2)/2001, pp. 233–248.
- European Commission, Upgrading the single Market: more opportunities for people and business, COM(2015) 0550.
- Evangelista R., Lucchese M., Meliciani V., Business service, innovation and sectoral growth, “Structural Change and Economic Dynamics”, no. 25/2013, pp. 119–132.
- Francois J.F., Producer Services, Scale, and the Division of Labor, “Oxford Economic Papers”, no. 42(4)/1990, pp. 715–729.
- Freund C., Weinhold D., The Internet and International Trade in Services, “American Economic Review”, no. 92(2)/2002, pp. 236–240.
- Fuchs V.R., The Growing Importance of the Service Industries, “Journal of Business”, no. 38(4)/1965, pp. 344–373.
- Gawlikowska-Hueckel K., Polityka przemysłowa i spójności wobec planów reindustrializacji Unii Europejskiej. Wnioski dla Polski, “Gospodarka Narodowa”, no. 273(5)/2014, pp. 53–80.
- Guerrieri P., Meliciani V., Technology and international competitiveness: The interdependence between manufacturing and producer services, “Structural Change and Economic Dynamics”, no. 16(4)/2005, pp. 489–502.
- Hill T.P., On goods and services, “Review of Income and Wealth”, no. 23(4)/1997, pp. 315–338.
- Jones R.W., Ruane F., Appraising the options for International trade in services, “Oxford Economic Papers”, no. 42(4)/1990, pp. 672–687.
- Kuznets S., Modern economic growth: Findings and reflections, “American Economic Review”, no. 64(3)/1973, pp. 247–258.
- Markusen J.R., Trade in Producer Services and in Other Specialized Intermediate Inputs, “The American Economic Review”, no. 79(1)/1989, pp. 85–95.
- van Marrewijk Ch., Stibora J., de Vall A, Viaene J.-M., Producer services, comparative advantage, and international trade patterns, “Journal of International Economics”, no. 42(1–2)/1997, pp. 195–220.
- Melvin J.R., Trade in Producer Services: A Hecksher-Ohlin Approach, “Journal of Political Economy”, no. 97(5)/1989, pp. 1180–1196.
- Mokyr J., The rise and fall of the factory system: technology, firms, and households since the industrial revolution, “Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy”, no. (55)1/2001, pp. 1–45.
- Murphy K.M., Sheifer A., Vishny R.W., Industrialization and the Big Push, “Journal of Political Economy”, no. 97(5)/1989, pp. 1003–1026.
- New Industrial Policy of the European Union, ed. A.A. Ambroziak, Springer, Switzerland 2017.
- Nordås H., The Impact of Services Trade Liberalisation on Trade in Non-Agricultural Products, OECD Trade Policy Papers, No. 81, OECD Publishing, Paris 2008.
- Rowthorn R., Ramaswamy R., Growth, Trade and Deindustrialization, “IMF Staff Papers”, no. 46(1)/1999, pp. 18–41.
- Wolfmayr Y., Export Performance and Increased Services Content in Manufacturing, “National Institute Economic Review”, no. 220(1)/2012, pp. 36–52.
- Zhang X., Producer Service and the Added Value of Manufacturing Industries. An Empirical Research Based on Various Industries of Different Countries, “International Journal of Economics and Finance”, no. 1(2)/2009, pp. 21–26.
Publication order reference