Communicating faith through the legacy media. Theological reflections and pastoral implication
Languages of publication
This paper is a reflection on the theological and pastoral implications of the communication of faith through the media. Its starting point is not based on the dichotomous categorisation of the media as either very beneficial, or very negative for the communication of faith; thus avoiding an either/or attitude which is very limiting. The hypothesis explored is that the language of faith is only communicated through the language of a medium and that such a translation, not to say incarnation, has to take into consideration the technological, organisational and cultural dimensions of the legacy or traditional media as well as their very important role in contemporary culture. The cultural and theological reflection will then be followed by the proposal of elements of a pastoral strategy that best respects the characteristics of faith and media as well as those of the audiences towards which both faith and media are directed.
9 - 24
- Appadurai, A. (2010). Modernity at large. Cultural dimensions of globalisation. London: University of Minnesota Press.
- Arheim, R. (1958). Film as art. London: Faber and Faber.
- Augustine, S. (2006). Confessions (F. J. Sheed, Trans.). Cambridge, MA: Hackett Publishing.
- Augustine, S. (2009). City of God (M. Dods, Trans.). Peabody, MA: Hendriskson Publishers.
- Baragli, E. (1973). Comunicazione, comunione e Chiesa. Roma: Studio Romano della Comunicazione Sociale.
- Baragli, E. (1981). The thinking of the Church on social communications in the formation of priests. Paper presented at Villa Cavalletti, Rome.
- Borg, J. (1995). It-tentazzjoni ta' ona 2000. Riflessjoni dwar il-Knisja u Ġ l-mass media. Malta: Klabb Qari Nisrani.
- Borg, J. (1999). Iż-Żiemel ta' Trojja, l-g o ol tad-deheb u ħ ġ t-tarf tal-mantar. In C. M. Martini (Ed.), It-tarf tal-mantar (pp. 5-16). Malta: Klabb Qari Nisrani.
- Buttrick, D. (1987). Homiletic: Moves and structures. Philadelphia: Fortress Press.
- Castells, M. (2001). The internet galaxy: Reflections on the internet, business and society. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Catholic News Service (2012, May 14). News Briefs. Faith in the footlights: Religion gets a curtain call on Broadway [Online news]. Retrieved from http://www.catholicnews.com/data/briefs/cns/20120514.htm
- Congregation for the Clergy. (1997). General directory for catechesis. Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana.
- Council, Vatican II (1963, December 4). Inter Mirifica. Decree on the Media of Social Communications. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_ council/documents/vatii_decree_19631204_inter-mirifica_en.html
- Croteau, D., Hoynes, W., & Milan, S. (2012). Media/society. Industries, images, and audience (4th ed.). London: Sage Publications.
- de Mello, A. (1982). The song of the bird. New York: Doubleday.
- Dunn, G. D. (2004). Tertullian. London: Routledge.
- Eisenstein, E. (1983). The printing revolution in early-modern Europe. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Eliade, M. (1963). Myth and reality. New York, London: Harper and Row.
- Farey, C., Linnig, W., & Paruch, J. (2011). The pedagogy of God. Its centrality in catechesis and catechist formation. Steubenville, Ohio: Emmaus Road Publishing.
- Fore, W. F. (1993). The religious relevance of television. In C. Arthur (Ed.), Religion and the Media (pp. 55-66). Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
- Geothals, G. (1981) The TV Ritual. Worship at the Video Altar. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Geothals, G. (1993). Media mythologies. In C. Arthur (Ed.), Religion and the media (pp. 25-39). Cardiff: University of Wales Press.
- Gevaert, J. (2005). Il dialogo difficile: problema dell’uomo e catechesi. Leumann (To): Editrici Elledici.
- Himmelweit, H. T., Oppenheim, A. N., & Vince, P. (1958) Television and the child: An empirical study of the effect of television on the young. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Horsfield, P.G. (1984). Religious television. The American experience. New York and London: Longman.
- Innis, H. A. (1951). The bias of communication. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- John Paul, PP. II. (1979, October 16). Catechesi Tradendae [Apostolic Exhortation]. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_exhortations /documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_16101979_catechesi-tradendae_en.html
- John Paul, PP. II. (1990, December 7). Redemptoris Missio [Encyclical letter]. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/edocs/ENG0219/_INDEX.HTM
- Johnson, N. (1972). The careening of America. The Humanist, July/August, 11.
- Jungmann, J. A. (1983). Kerygmatic theology. In M. Warren (Ed.), Sourcebook for modern catechetics (Vol. 1). Winona, Minnesota: Saint Mary’s Press – Christian Brothers Publications.
- McLuhan, M. (1962). The Gutenburg galaxy: The making of typographic man. Toronto: Toronto University Press.
- McLuhan, M. (1964). Understanding media. The extensions of man. New Jersey: A Signet Book.
- McQuail, D. (2010). McQuail’s mass communication theory (6th ed.). London: Sage Publications.
- Mitchell, J. P. (1999). Visually speaking. Radio and the renaissance of preaching. Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Muggeridge, M. (1977). Christ and the media. Toronto: Hodder and Stoughton.
- Negroponte, N. (1996). Being digital. New York: Vintage Books.
- Ong, W. (1970). The Presence of the word. New York: A Clarion Book.
- Ong, W. (1977). Communications as a field of study. In S. Bamberger (Ed.), The 1977 multimedia international yearbook (pp. 7- 25). Rome: Multimedia International.
- Paul, PP. VI (1971, May 23). Communio et Progressio. Pastoral Instruction for the Application of the Degree of Vatican II on Social Communications. London: Catholic Truth Society.
- Paul, PP. VI. (1975, December 8). Evangelii Nuntiandi [Apostolic Exhortation]. Retreived from http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_p-vi_e xh_19751208_evangelii-nuntiandi_en.html
- Pinsky, I. M. (2007). The Gospel according to the Simpsons. Louisville, Kentucky: Westminster John Knox Press.
- Pius, PP. XII. (1957, September 8). Miranda Prorsus. [Encyclical letter]. London: Catholic Truth Society.
- Plato (1973). Phaedrus and letters VII and VIII. (W. Hamilton, Trans.). New York: Penguin Books.
- Pontifical Council for Social Communication, (1991, February 22). Aetatis Novae.
- Pastoral Instruction on Social Communications on the Twentieth Anniversary of Communio et Progressio]. Retreived from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils /pccs/ documents/rc_pc_pccs_doc_22021992_aetatis_en.html
- “Playboy Interview: Marshall McLuhan.” Playboy, March 1969, pp. 26-17, 45, 55-56, 61, 63.
- Postman, N. (1982). Amusing ourselves to death. New York: Delacorte Press.
- Schoenbach, K. (2001). Myths of media and audiences. European Journal of Communication, 16(3), 361-376.
- Tonelli, R. (2002). La narrazione nella catechesi e nella pastorali giovanile. Leumann (To): Editrice Elledici.
- Vatican Council I. (1870, July 18). Pastor Aeternus [Dogmatic Constitution on the Church of Christ]. Retrieved from http://w2.vatican.va/content/vatican/it.html
- Vatican Council II. (1964, November 21). Lumen Gentium [Dogmatic Constitution on the Church]. Retrieved from http://w2.vatican.va/content/vatican/it.html
- Vatican Council II. (1965, November 18). Dei Verbum [Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation]. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_ council/documents/vat-ii_const_19651118_dei-verbum_en.html
- Vatican Council II. (1965a, December 7). Gaudium et Spes [Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World]). Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_c ouncils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_cons_19651207_gaudium-etspes_en.html
- White, R. A. (2007). The media, culture, and religion perspective. Communication Research Trends, 26(1), 3-24.
- XIII Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops. (2012, October 28). Message to the People of God. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/documents/rc_synod_doc_20121026_message-synod_en.html
Publication order reference