UNESCO Architectural Objects on the Territory of the Republic of Macedonia
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
Stereotypically, international society identifies the Republic of Macedonia as a former Yugoslavian area marked by the independence stigma during tragic events in the Balkans. Therefore, various scientific publications appear (particularly in the fields of international law, political science or international relations), concerning mainly the Greek‑Macedonian conflict over the official name of the country. However, it is rather rare to find in Polish literature texts on remarkable cultural and architectural richness of this small but extremely important – for the Slavic‑Orthodox culture – country. It is possible to observe, in Polish works, compilations on art history of South and West Slavs, but it does not extend its own scientific discipline, except the indication of necessary legal or political background. In the following discourse several considerations on culture and art objects on the territory of the modern Republic of Macedonia (FYROM official name) are presented. The text consists of three main parts with an emphasis that the last part possesses also an internal structure. Basic information concerning the main tasks and aims of UNESCO is presented in the first part of the work. The following part is concerned with the historical context of the city of Ohrid. Finally, the third part of the paper contains considerations on the architectonical objects of UNESCO located in the historical city of Ohrid. The analysis ends with final conclusions.
- About Us’, UNESCO, at . ‘Antique theater in Varos (Ohrid)’, at .
- The Archaeology Department at the Institute for Protection of the Monuments of Culture and Museum – Ohrid, at .
- ‘Archived Content: Conduct of Public Diplomacy 2007 and later, including links to updated pages’, Public Diplomacy Alumni Association, at .
- Bierzanek R., Symonides J., Prawo międzynarodowe publiczne, Warszawa 2009.
- Bošković D., Osnovi srednjevekovne arhitekture, Beograd 1947.
- ‘Church of “All Saints”’, at .
- ‘Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage’, UNESCO – WHC, at .
- ‘European Heritage Events’, European Heritage Days, at .
- Explorations of the ‘Explorations of the site Zlastrana’, at .
- Forlati F., Brandi C., Froidevaux Y., ‘Saint Sophia of Ochrida. Preservation and Restoration of the Building and its Frescoes. Report of the Unesco Mission of 1951’, Unesco, 1953, at .
- ‘The Hague conventions and declarations of 1899 and 1907, accompanied by tables of signatures, ratifications and adhesions of the various powers, and texts of reservations’, at .
- Koco D., ‘Crkvata Sveta Sofija vo Ohrid’, Godišen zbornik na Filozofskiot fakultet, No. 2 (1949).
- Koco D., ‘Umetnost u Makedoniji’ in Istorija naroda Jugoslavije, Vol. 1, Zagreb 1953.
- ‘Konwencja w sprawie ochrony światowego dziedzictwa kulturalnego i naturalnego, przyjęta w Paryżu dnia 16 listopada 1972 r. przez Konferencję Generalną Organizacji Narodów Zjednoczonych dla Wychowania, Nauki i Kultury na jej siedemnastej sesji’, Dziennik Ustaw, 76.32.190.
- Kuman P. (ed.), Analysis and Reformal of Cultural Heritage Policies in South East Europe, Council of Europe Publishing, Strasbourg 2008.
- Macedonian Archaeological News, Vol. 2, No. 7 (2010), at .
- Molè W., Sztuka Słowian południowych, Wrocław 1962.
- ‘NATO ASI, Orhid 2014, Arithmetic of Hyperlliptic Curves, August 25 – September 5, 2014’,
- NATO Advanced Study Institute Ohrid, 2014, at .
- ‘Operational Guidelines for the Implementation of the World Heritage Convention, The world Heritage Convention’, UNESCO – WHC 05/2, 2 February 2005, at .
- ‘Porta in Ohrid’, at .
- Serafimova A., ‘The urbanization of Lychnidos’, Ohrid – World Heritage Site, at .
- ‘Sites and Attractions of Ohrid’, Macedonia Experience, at .
- ‘Unrest Instead of Spiritual Serenity at Plaoshnik in Ohrid’, Independent.mk, 5 June 2014, at .
- Vićić E., Konzervatorski radovi na crkvi sv. Sofije u Obridu, Beograd 1955.
- Zloković M., ‘Stare crkve u oblastima Prespe i Ohrida’, Starinar, Vol. 3, No. 3 (1924/1925).
Publication order reference