Practices and Challenges of Kindergarten Education in Addis Ababa City Administration: Ethiopia
Languages of publication
The intention of this study was to assess the practices and challenges of kindergarten education in Addis Ababa city administration. The core intentions of the study were to check the appropriateness of the instructional material, teacher quality and the physical environment of the schools. For this study, the researcher used a descriptive survey research method and both qualitative and quantitative research approaches were employed. The data gathered from 22 kindergartens, 116 teachers, 21 principals, 5 education quality, audit and inspection experts. The findings of the study revealed that in most kindergartens the key inputs, such as indoor and outdoor materials, were insufficient, there was a lack of qualified human resources and instructional materials, constituting a major bottleneck, awareness creation on the part of stakeholders was low and limited support from educational expertise to private schools were among the challenges. Therefore, Addis Ababa Education Bureau ought to be revising, preparing and distributing curriculum materials based on the interest and developmental level of the children. The city administration, in collaboration with different college and Universities, are supposed to provide training for kindergarten teachers and other personnel to enhance their capacity. In addition, the city administration may promote investors who participate in the sector to construct buildings which may function as kindergartens; “woreda (section of district)” education office in partnership with schools and other stakeholder ought to support small enterprises to produce indoor and outdoor materials. Moreover, joint training, workshops, seminars and awareness amongst pertinent stakeholders should be promoted in a coordinated manner.
- Addis Ababa Education Bureau. (2010). Kindergarten Education Standard. Addis Ababa Printing Press.
- Amelework, H. (2007). Evaluation of Kindergarten Curriculum Implementation in East Shewa Zone (Unpublished master’s thesis). Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
- Best, J. W., & Kahn, J. V. (2005). Research in Education. New Delhi: Prentice.
- Copple, C., & Bredekamp, S. (2009). Developmentally Appropriate Practice in Early Childhood Programs: Serving Children from Birth through Age Eight (3rd ed.). Washington, DC: NAEYC.
- Curtis, A. (1998). A Curriculum for the Preschool Children Learning (2nd ed.). London, Rought Ledge.
- Demeke, G. (2007). Historical and Philosophical Foundation of Early Childhood Education in Ethiopia: Proceeding on the 7th National Conference of Ethiopian Psychologist Association: AAU. Printing Press.
- Dereje, T. (1994). An Assessment of the Implementation of the Children, Youth and Family Welfare Organization (FWO) Policy Guide in Providing for the Education Opportunity of Preschool Age Children in Addis Ababa. AAU. Press.
- Educational Statistics Annual Abstract. (2003) Addis Ababa City Administration.
- Emine, E. (2010). Problem that Preschool Teachers Face in Curriculum Implementation. Middle East Technical University. MA thesis: Retrieved from
- Gezehagn, A. (2005). The Relevance of Kindergarten Curriculum and Its Implementation in South Wollo (Unpublished master`s thesis). Addis Ababa University,Ethiopia.
- Foster, J. & Headley. N. (1959). Education in the Kindergarten (3rd ed.). American Book Company, New York.
- Iain Macleod and Brudenell. (2004). Advanced Early Year Care and Education. Heinemann Education Publisher. Halley court: Jordan Hill Oxford OX2 8Ej Part of Harcourt Education.
- Kari, A. D. (2002). Influence of Teaching in an outdoor Classroom on Kindergarten, Thesis University of Louisiana, Lafayette.
- McDonnell, J. (1999). New Hampshire Early Childhood Professional Development System. Guide to Early Child Careers: New Hampshire, USA.
- MoE (2007).The Status of Early Childhood Care and Education in Ethiopia. Addis Ababa: Ultimate Printing Press.
- MoE (2010/11). Educational Annual Abstract. Addis Ababa; Printing Press.
- MoE. MoH. and MoWA. (2010b). Strategic Operational Plan and Guideline for (ECCE) in Ethiopia. Addis Ababa: Ultimate Printing Press.
- MoE (2002). Curriculum Frame Work for Ethiopia Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) in Ethiopia. Addis Ababa: Ultimate Printing Press.
- MoE. MoH. and MoWA. (2010a). National Policy Framework for Early Childhood Care and Education (NPE-ECCE) in Ethiopia. Addis Ababa: Ultimate Printing Press.
- MoE (2010/11). The Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten Program. Ontario. Retrieved from:
- MoE (2010). Kindergarten Education Syllabus. Addis Ababa Printing Press.
- Morrison, E. & Perry. (1961). Kindergarten Primary Education Teaching Procedures. New York: the Ronald Press Company.
- Montessori. (1963). Education for a New World. Madras: India Vasanta Press.
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (2005). Promoting Excellence in Early Childhood Education 1313 L St. N.W. Suite 500, Washington DC. Retrieved from:
- Serejent, F. I. (1959). From Day to Day in the Infant School. Blackie and Son Limited, London and Glasgow Printing.
- Smith, (2001). Education in the Early Years Working With Children With Specific Learning: Difficulties In the Early Year Eastern Avenue. AQER: Publication.
- Teshome, G. W. (1979). Education in Ethiopia: Prospects and Retrospect. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press.
- Tina Bruce. et al. (2006). Child Care and Education. Filmsetting Limited, Manchester.
- Tina Bruce. (2011). Early Childhood Education (4th Ed.). Custom Road Landon.
- Tirusew, T. (2007). Early Childhood Education in Ethiopia. Proceeding of the 7th national Conference of Ethiopian Psychological Association. Addis Ababa. AAU. Printing Press.
- UNESCO (2010). EFA Global Monitoring Report: Reaching the Marginalized. Paris. UNESCO.
- Wills and Stegeman. (1956). Living in the Kindergarten. Follett Publishing Company: Chicago.
- Yemane, G. (2007). The Quality of Preschool Education Program in West Wollega Zone. (Unpublished master`s thesis). Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
- Yalew, Z. (2011). Practice, Challenges and Provision of Kindergarten Education in Attachment With Government Primary School in Addis Ababa (Unpublished master’s thesis). Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
- Zeray, G. (2011). Practices and Challenges in Accessing Preschool Education in Tigray Regional State of Ethiopia: the Case at Mekelle Zone (Unpublished master’s thesis). Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
Publication order reference