China’s technological transformation and the future of Sino-American competition
Languages of publication
This article aims to explore the significance of China’s technological transformation for the future of the Sino-American superpower competition. It examines determinants, motivations, strategies, and policies introduced by the Chinese authorities with an aim to close the technological distance to the most advanced economies. The author also attempts to assess policy initiatives and efforts made by China in relation to its main economic rivals, particularly the United States. The paper concludes that technological transformation remains at the forefront of China’s development strategy, and its successful implementation will be the key to achieving the superpower status and effectively address domestic and international challenges. The article concludes that China has made a significant progress in some specific areas such as R&D expenditure, Global Innovation Index, ICT industry or patents. However, contrary to the Party’s bold rhetoric, reliance on foreign technology, especially on imported advanced machinery and semiconductors, has remained.
- Allison G. (2017), Destined for War: can America and China escape Thucydides trap? London.
- Art R. J. (2010), The United States and the Rise of China: Implications for the Long Haul, “The Journal of Public and International Affairs”, 2010, v. 125 No. 3.
- Beckley M. (2012), China’s Century? Why America’s edge Will Endure, “International Security”, 2012, v. 36, No. 3.
- Blackwill R.D., Harris J.M. (2016), War by Other Means. Geoeconomics and Statecraft, Cambridge-Massachusetts.
- Cai F. and Chan K.W. (2009), The Global Economic Crisis and Unemployment in China, “Eurasian Geography and Economics”, 2009, v. 50, No. 5.
- China Power (2019), Are patents indicative of Chinese innovation?, URL = https://chinapower.csis.org/patents/.
- Christensen T. J. (2015), The China Challenge: Shaping the Choices of a Rising Power, New York.
- Ding X. and Li J. (2015), Incentives for Innovation in China. Building an Innovative Economy, London-New York.
- Friedberg A. (2011), A Contest for Supremacy. China, America and the Struggle for Mastery in Asia, New York.
- Gao Y. (2012), China as the Workshop of the World. An analysis at the national and industrial level of China in the international division of labour, London-New York.
- Han C., Thomas S.R., Yang M., Ieromochnachou P., Zhang H. (2017), Evaluating R&D investment efficiency in China’s high-tech industry, “The Journal of High Technology Management Research”, 2017, v. 28 No. 1.
- Hanemann T. and Huotari M. (2017), Record Flows and Growing Imbalances: Chinese Investment in Europe in 2016, “MERICS Paper on China”, URL = https://www.merics.org/sites/default/files/2017-09/MPOC_3_COFDI_2017.pdf
- Hanemann T., Gao C., Lysenko A. (2019), Net Negative: Chinese Investment in the US in 2018, URL = https://rhg.com/research/chinese-investment-inthe-us-2018-recap/.
- Holmes T. J., McGrattan E.R., Prescott E.C. (2015), Quid Pro Quo: Technology Capital Transfers for Market Access in China, “The Review of Economic Studies”, 2015, Vol. 82, No. 3.
- Hong J., Feng B., Wu Y., Wang L. (2016), Do government grants promote innovation efficiency in China’s high-tech industries? “Technovation”, 2016, v. 57-58.
- Hsü I.C. Y. (1990), The China Without Mao: kThe Search for a New Order, Oxford.
- Hu A.G., Jefferson G.H. (2009), A Great Wall of patents: What is behind China’s recent patent explosion? “Journal of Development Economics” 2009, v. 90, No. 1.
- Hveem H. and Pempel T. J. (2016), China’s Rise and Economic Interdependence in: China in the Era of Xi Jinping: Domestic and Foreign Policy Challenges, ed. R. Ross, J.I. Bekkevold, Washington D.C.
- Ikenberry J.G. (2008), The rise of China and the future of the West. Can the liberal system survive? “Foreign Affairs” 2008.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) (2019), World Economic Outlook: Global
- Manufacturing Downturn, Rising Trade Barriers, URL = https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/WEO/Issues/2019/10/01/world-economic-outlookoctober-2019.
- Kerr D. (2006), Has China abandoned self-reliance? “Review of International Political Economy”, 2006, v. 14, No.1.
- Kharas H., Kohli H. (2011), What Is the Middle Income Trap, Why Do Countries Fall into It, and How Can It Be Avoided?, “Global Journal of Emerging Market Economies”, 2011, v. 3, No. 3.
- Koleski K. (2017), The 13th Five-Year Plan. “U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission”, URL = https://www.uscc.gov/sites/default/files/Research/The%2013th%20Five-Year%20Plan_Final_2.14.17_Updated%20 (002).pdf.
- Lee K.F. (2018), AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley and The New World Order, Boston-New York.
- Luttwak E.N. (1990), From Geopolitics to Geo-Economics: Logic of Conflict, Grammar of Commerce, “The National Interest”, 1990, No. 20.
- Malik K. (2012), Why Has China Grown so Fast for So Long, New Dehli.
- Mearsheimer J. J. (2014), The Tragedy of Great Power Politics, New York.
- Nye J.S. (2011), The future of power, New York.
- OECD (2020), Gross domestic spending on R&D, URL = https://data.oecd.org/rd/gross-domestic-spending-on-r-d.htm.
- Paszak P. (2017), Chinese investment policy in Europe between 2011 and 2017: Challenges and threats to the security of European Union countries, “Polish Journal of Political Science”, 2017, v. 4 No. 3.
- Paszak P. (2019), Ewolucja percepcji Chin w strategiach bezpieczeństwa USA w latach 1987-2006, “Wiedza Obronna”, 2019, v. 266-268, No. 1-2.
- PRC National People’s Congress (2011), China’s Twelfth Five Year Plan (2011-2015), translated by The Delegation of European Union to China, 2011, URL= https://cbi.typepad.com/files/full-translation-5-yr-plan-2011-2015.doc.
- PRC State Council (2019), China’s National Defense in the New Era, URL = http://english.www.gov.cn/archive/whitepaper/201907/24/content_WS5d3941ddc6d08408f502283d.html.
- Regis P. J. (2019), Changing structure of the Chinese economy in: China in the Local and Global Economy, ed. S. Brakman, C. Van Marrewijk, P. J. Morgan, N. Salike, London-New York.
- Ross R.S. (2006), Balance of Power Politics and the Rise of China: Accommodation and Balancing in East Asia, “Security Studies”, 2006, v. 15, No. 3.
- Schweller R. (2018), Opposite but Compatible Nationalisms: A Neoclassical Realist Approach to the Future of US–China Relations, “The Chinese Journal of International Politics”, 2018, v. 11, No. 1.
- Shifrinson J. (2018), The rise of China, balance of power theory and US national security: Reasons for optimism?, “Journal of Strategic Studies”, 2018.
- SIA (2019), 2019 Factbook, URL = https://www.semiconductors.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019-SIA-Factbook-FINAL.pdf.
- Skarżyński R. (2017), Geoekonomia: kryzys czy upadek teorii stosunków międzynarodowych?, Warszawa.
- VerWey J. (2019), Chinese Semiconductor Industrial Policy: Past and Present, “Journal of International Commerce and Economics”, URL = usitc.gov/publications/332/journals/chinese_semiconductor_industrial_policy_past_and_present_jice_july_2019.pdf.
- Wei L. (2019), Towards Economic Decoupling? Mapping Chinese Discourse on the China–US Trade War “The Chinese Journal of International Politics”, 2019, v. 12, No. 4, 519-556.
- Wildau G. (2018), China’s Xi Jinping revives Maoist call for ‘self-reliance’, “Financial Times”, URL = https://www.ft.com/content/63430718-e3cb-11e8-a6e5-792428919cee.
- WIPO (2019), Global Innovation Index 2019: Creating Healthy Lives — The Future of Medical Innovation, URL = https://www.wipo.int/publications/en/details.jsp?id=4434.
- World Bank (2010), Supporting China’s Infrastructure Stimulus Under the INFRA platform, URL = http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTSDNET/Resources/5944695-1247775731647/INFRA_China_Newsletter.pdf.
- World Bank (2019), GDP, PPP (current international $), URL = https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.PP.CD.
- Xi Jinping (2016), Speech at the Work Conference for Cybersecurity and Informatization, URL = https://chinacopyrightandmedia.wordpress.com/2016/04/19/speech-at-the-work-conference-for-cybersecurity-and-informatization/.
- Zenglein M. J., Holzmann A. (2019), Evolving Made in China 2025: China’s industrial policy in the quest for global tech leadership, “MERICS Papers on China”, No. 8, URL = https://www.merics.org/sites/default/files/2019-07/MPOC_8_MadeinChina_2025_final.pdf.
- Zhao S. (2015), A New Model of Big Power Relations? China–US strategic rivalry and balance of power in the Asia–Pacific, “Journal of Contemporary China”, 2015, v. 24, No. 93.
Publication order reference