Metaphysics and the Limit of the Natural Sciences Explanatory Power
Languages of publication
The article concern is the problem of natural sciences – metaphysics relations. The criterion of metaphysical knowledge as the knowledge about fundamental objects is formulated. It is argued that natural sciences and mathematics do not meet this criterion. They cannot be metaphysics being engaged in the study of exclusively non-fundamental entities. The inference is made that only the speculative metaphysics (if such metaphysics is possible) has the means to solve metaphysical problems relying entirely on its own foundation.
- Andersen, F. & Becker A. J. R. (2016). Metaphysics Within Science: Against Radical Naturalism. Metaphilosophy, 47(2), 159–180. doi: 10.1111/meta.12175
- Bennett, K. (2016). There is no special problem with metaphysics. Philosophical Studies, 173(1), 21–37. doi: 10.1007/s11098-014-0439-0
- Benovsky, J. (2013). From Experience to Metaphysics: On Experience‐based Intuitions and their Role in Metaphysics. Noûs, 49(3), 684–697. doi: 10.1111/nous.12024
- Bradley, F. H. (1916). Appearance and Reality: A metaphysical Essay. London: Allen & Unwin.
- Chakravartty, A. (2013). On the Prospects of Naturalized Metaphysics. In D. Ross, J. Ladyman & H. Kincaid (Eds.), Scientific Metaphysics (pp. 27–50). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Esfield, M. (2006). The Impact of Science on Metaphysics and its Limits. Abstracta, 2(2), 86–101.
- Faye, J. (2012). The Role of Philosophy in a Naturalized World. European Journal of Analytic Philosophy, 8(1), 60–76.
- Hawking, S. & Mlodinow, L. (2010). The grand design. New York: Bantam Books.
- Ladyman, J. & Ross, D. (2007). Every Thing Must Go: Metaphysics Naturalized. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Lowe, E. J. (2011). The rationality of metaphysics. Synthese, 178(1), 99–109. doi: 10.1007/s11229-009-9514-z
- Morganti, M. (2015). Science-based Metaphysics: On Some Recent Anti-metaphysical Claims. Philosophia Scientiæ,19-1, 57–70. doi: 10.4000/philosophiascientiae.1038
- Paul, L. A. (2012). Metaphysics as modelling: the handmaiden's tale. Philosophical Studies, 160(1), 1–29. doi: 10.1007/s11098-012-9906-7
- Weinberg, S. (1992). Dreams of a final theory. New York: Pantheon Books.
- Wilson, J. (2016). The Question of Metaphysics. The Philosophers' Magazine, 74, 90–96. doi: 10.5840/tpm201674107
Publication order reference