LEARNING ENGLISH LISTENING AND SPEAKING THROUGH BBC VOA PODCASTS: AN APP REVIEW
Languages of publication
Knowing another language other than the first language is stereotypically regarded as a prestigious feature, distinguishing an individual from the rest of the community while providing him/her with more job opportunities. Nowadays, language classes are easily available through the expansion of recent technologies such as MALL (Mobile-Assisted Language Learning) and language learning applications (apps). App developers have been competing to design the most efficient apps to facilitate meaningful language learning by focusing on oral production and auditory reception to increase language learners' communicative competence. A characteristic app of the kind is Learning English Listening & Speaking BBC/ VOA News which offers learners a massive archive of updated BBC and VOA podcasts both online and offline. The current review intends to present a detailed description of the important features of this app.
- Brown, H. D. (1994). Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall Regents
- Burston, J. (2013). Mobile-assisted language learning: A selected annotated bibliography of implementation studies 1994–2012. Language Learning & Technology, 17(3), 157-224.
- Godwin-Jones, R. (2011). Mobile apps for language learning. Language Learning & Technology, 15(2), 2-11
- Hasan, M. M., & Hoon, T. B. (2013). Podcast applications in language learning: A review of recent studies. English Language Teaching, 6(2), 128-135.
- Kim, H. S. (2013). Emerging mobile apps to improve English listening skills. Multimedia-Assisted Language Learning, 16(2), 11-30.
- LeLoup, J. W. & Ponterio, R. (2007). Listening: you’ve got to be carefully taught. Language Learning & Technology, 11(1), 4-15.
- Makiabadi, H. & Abdi Navokhi, S. (2018). MosaLingua: A multilingual mobile language learning application. Roshd Foreign Language Teaching Journal, 32 (3), 29-36.
- Masalimova, A. R., Porchesku, G. V., & Liakhnovitch, T. L. (2016). Linguistic foundation of foreign language listening comprehension. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 11(1), 123-131.
- Mendelsohn, D. (2006). Learn how to listen using learning strategies. In U. J. Esther & A. Martines Flor (Eds.), Studies on Language Acquisition: Current Trends in the Development and Teaching of the Four Language Skills (pp. 75-90). Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.
- Rost, M. (2002). Teaching and Researching Listening. Harlow: Longman.
- Shen, R., Wang, M., & Pan, X. (2008). Increasing interactivity in blended classrooms through a cutting-edge mobile learning system. British Journal of Educational Technology, 39(6), 1073-1086.
- Vandergrift, L. (2007). Recent developments in second and foreign language listening comprehension research. Language Teaching, 40(3), 191-210.
- Yeh, C. C. (2017). An investigation of a podcast learning project for extensive listening. Asian-Focused ELT Research and Practice: Voices from the Far Edge, 87.
Publication order reference