The role of investment banking in systemic risk profiles. Evidence from a panel of EU banking sectors
Languages of publication
The goal of this study is to identify empirically how non-traditional activities affect directly the risk profiles and profitability of the banking sector. Through a dataset that covers 2678 European banks spanning the period 1996–2011 and the methodology of panel regression, the empirical findings document that investment banks have a negative effect on systemic risk in the banking sector. To show the heterogeneity of systemic risk determinants, the study sample was divided according to the economic development of a country into two groups: advanced and developing countries. We examine the implications of banks’ activity and risk-taking that manifest themselves as spreading and growing instability in the banking system. Then we explore the implications of the interaction between banking risk and structural, macroeconomic and financial market determinants. The findings have implications for both bank risk management and regulators. This paper advances the agenda of making macroprudential policy operational.
- Abiad Detragiache, and T. Tressel. 2008. “A new database of financial reforms.” IMF Working Paper. 08/266.
- Acharya, V., Pedersen, L., Philippon, and T. M. Richardson. 2010a. “Measuring systemic risk.” Working Paper.
- Acharya, V.V., and A.V. Thakor. 2010b. “The Dark Side of Liquidity Creation: Leverage-Induced Systemic Risk and the Lender of Last Resort.” New York University Working Paper.
- Akhigbe, A., and J. Madura. 2001. “Why do contagion effects vary among bank failures?” Journal of Banking & Finance 25, 657–680.
- Albertazzi U., and L. Gambacorta. 2009. “Bank profitability and the business cycle.” Journal of Financial Stability 5 2009. pp. 393-409.
- Allen, F., and D. Gale. 2000. “Financial contagion.” Journal of Political Economy 108, 1–33.
- Allen, F., and D. Gale. 2004. “Financial intermediaries and markets.” Econometrica 72, 1023–1061.
- Allen, Franklin, and Douglas Gale. 1994. “Financial Innovation and Risk Sharing.” MIT Press, Cambridge.
- Allen, Linda, Turan Bali, and Yi Tang. 2010. “Does Systemic Risk in the Financial Sector Predict Future Economic Downturns?” Baruch College Working Paper.
- Arellano, M., and S. Bond. 1991. “Some tests of specification for panel data: Monte Carlo evidence and an application to employment equations.” Review of Economic Studies 58, 277–297.
- Athanasoglou P.P., Brissimis S.,N., and M. D. Delis. 2008. “Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability.” Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money 18, pp. 121-136. Bank of England 2009. “The role of macroprudencial policy.” Discussion paper, November.
- Barth J.R., Caprio G. Jr., Levine R. 2006. “Rethinking Bank Regulation. Till Angels Govern.” New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Barth, J., Caprio, G., and R. Levine. 2004. “Bank regulation and supervision: what works best?” Journal of Financial Intermediation 13, 205-248.
- Beck T., Demirgüç-Kunt A. and R. Levine. 2005. “Bank Concentration, Competition, and Crises: First results.” The World Bank Development Research Group Working Papers, February.
- Beltratti, A., and R.M. Stulz. 2012. “Why did some banks perform better?” Journal of Financial Economics 105, 1–17.
- Berger, A., Herring, R., and G. Szegö. 1995. “The role of capital in financial institutions.” Journal of Banking and Finance 19: 393–430.
- Berger, A.N., and C.H. Bouwman. 2013. “How does capital affect bank performance during financial crises?” Journal of Financial Economics 109, 146–176.
- Bikker, J.A., and P. A. J. Metzemakers, 2005. “Bank provisioning behavior and procyclicality.” Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 15, 141–157.
- Billio, Monica, Mila Getmansky, Andrew Lo, and Loriana Pelizzon. 2010. “Econometric Measures of Systemic Risk in the Finance and Insurance Sectors.” NBER Paper No. 16223.
- Blundell, R., and S. Bond. 1998. “Initial conditions and moment conditions in dynamic panel data models.” Journal of Econometrics 87, 115–143.
- Bond, S., 2002. “Dynamic panel data models: a guide to micro data methods and practice.” Portuguese Economic Review 1, 141–162.
- Borio, C., Furfine, C., and P. Lowe. 2001. “Procyclicality of the financial system and financial stability: issues and policy options.” BIS Papers No. 1. Bank for International Settlements.
- Brewer E., Kaufman G., and D. Larry. 2008. “Bank Capital Ration Across Countries: Why Do They Vary?” Journal of Financial Services Research 34: 177-201.
- Brownlees, Christin and R. Engle. 2010. “Volatility, Correlation and Tails for Systemic Risk Measurement.” Working Paper NYU-Stern.
- Brunnermeier, M. K. and L. H. Pedersen. 2009a. “Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity.” Review of Financial Studies 22: 2201-2238.
- Brunnermeier, M., 2009b. “Deciphering the liquidity and credit crunch of 2008–2008.” Journal of Economic Perspectives 23, 77–100.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K., Gang Dong, and D. Palia. 2011. “Banks’ Non-Interest Income and Systemic Risk.” Working Paper.
- Calmès Ch., and R. Théoret. 2013. “Market-oriented banking, financial stability and macro-prudential indicators of leverage.” Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money. Volume 27, December, Pages 13-34
- Campello, Murillo. 2002. “Internal capital markets in financial conglomerates: Evidence from small bank responses to monetary policy.” Journal of Finance 57, 2773–2805.
- Cetorelli, Nicola, and L. Goldberg. 2011. “Global banks and international shock transmission: Evidence from the crisis.” International Monetary Fund Economic Review 59 number 1, 41–76.
- Chan-Lau J. 2010. “Regulatory Capital Charges for Too-Connected-to-Fail Institutions: A Practical Proposal.” IMF Working Paper 10/98.
- Claessens, Stijn and Neeltje van Horen, 2012. Foreign Banks: Trends and Impact. IMF
- Cont R. 2010. “Measuring Contagion and Systemic Risk in Financial Systems.” Working Paper. Columbia University.
- Coval, Joshua, Jakub Jurek, and Eric Stafford. 2009. “The economics of structured finance.” Journal of Economic Perspectives. 23, 3–26.
- De Bandt, O., and P. Hartmann. 2000. “Systemic risk: a survey.” European Central Bank Working Paper 35.
- DellʼAriccia Giovanni, Luc Laeven, and R. Marquez. 2014. “Real interest rates, leverage, and bank risk-taking.” Journal of Economic Theory, Volume 149, January, Pages 65-99.
- Demirguc-Kunt, A., Detragiache, E., and T. Tressel. 2008. “Banking on the principles: Compliance with Basel Core Principles and Bank Soundness.” Journal of Financial Intermediation 17, 511-542.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A., and H. Huizinga. 2009. “Bank activity and funding strategies: The impact on risk and return.” Center Discussion Paper 2009-09.
- Dreher, A. 2006. “Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index on globalization.” Applied Economics 38, 1091-1110.
- Drehmann Mathias and Nikola Tarashev 2011. “Measuring the systemic importance of interconnected banks.” IMF Working Papers, No. 342. European Central Bank. 2009. “The concept of systemic risk.” Financial Stability Review December, 134–142.
- Fahlenbrach, R., Prilmeier, R., and R. Stulz. 2012. “This time is the same: using bank performance in 1998 to explain bank performance during the recent financial crisis.” Journal of Finance 67, 2139–2185.
- Fonseca, A.R., and F. González. 2008. “Cross-country determinants of bank income smoothing by managing loan-loss provisions.” Journal of Banking & Finance 32, 217-228.
- Foos D., Norden L., and M. Weber. 2010. “Loan growth and riskiness of banks.” Journal of Banking and Finance 34, pp. 2929-2940.
- Gai, P., Haldane, A., and S. Kapadia. 2011. »Complexity, concentration and contagion.” Journal of Monetary Economics 58, 453–470.
- Gennaioli, Nicola, Andrei Shleifer, and R. Vishny. 2012. “Neglected risks, financial innovation, and financial fragility.” Journal of Financial Economics 104, 452–468.
- Goldsmith-Pinkham, P. and T. Yorulmazer. 2010. “Liquidity, Bank Runs and Bailouts: Spillover Effects during the Northern Rock Episode.” Journal of Financial Services Research (372-3), 83-98.
- Gonzalez, F. 2005. “Bank regulation and risk-taking incentives: an international comparison of bank risk.” Journal of Banking and Finance 29, 1153-1184.
- Goodhart, C.A., and H. Huang. 2005. “The lender of last resort.” Journal of Banking & Finance 29, 1059–1082.
- Gorton, Gary, and A. Metrick. 2012. “Securitized banking and the run on repo.” Journal of Financial Economics 104, 425–451.
- Gropp, R., Duca, M.L., and J. Vesala. 2009. “Cross-border bank contagion fin Europe.” International Journal of Central Banking.
- Hempell H.S. and C.K. Sorensen. 2010. “The impact of supply constraints on bank lending in the Euro area induced crunching?” ECB Working Paper No 1262.
- Huang X., Hao Zhou, and H. Zhu. 2009. “A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions.” Journal of Banking and Finance Vol. 33, No. 11, pp. 2036–2049.
- Jarrow, Robert, Li Li, Mark Mesler, and Donald van Deventer. 2007. “CDO valuation: Fact and fiction.” Kamakura Corporation Paper.
- Kaminsky, G. L., and C. M. Reinhart. 1999. “The Twin Crises: Causes of Banking and Balance of Payments Problems.” American Economic Review, (893), 473-500.
- Karkowska R., 2012. "Measuring Systemic Risk in the Polish Banking System by Means of the Risk-Based Balance Sheets Method," Folia Oeconomica Stetinensia, De Gruyter Open, vol. 12(2), pages 7-18, December.
- Kashyap, Anil, and J. Stein. 2000. “What do a million observations on banks say about the transmission of monetary policy?” American Economic Review. 90, 407–428.
- Kaufmann, D., Kraay, A., and M. Mastruzzi. 2009. “Governance matters VIII: aggregate and individual governance indicators, 1996–2008.” Policy Research Working Paper. No. 4978, The World Bank.
- Kim, Baeho and K. Giesecke. 2010. “Systemic Risk: What Defaults Are Telling US.” Working Paper Stanford University.
- Laeven, L., and G. Majnoni. 2003. “Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns: too much, too late?” Journal of Financial Intermediation. 12, 178-197.
- Laeven, L., and R. Levine. 2009. “Bank governance, regulation and risk taking.” Journal of Financial Economics 93, 259-275.
- López-Espinosa G.; Rubia A., Valderrama L., and A. Miguel. 2013. “Good for one, bad for all: Determinants of individual versus systemic risk.” Journal of Financial Stability 9(3):287-299, DOI: 10.1016/j.jfs.2013.05.002.
- Mannasoo, K., and D. G. Mayes. 2005. “Investigating the Early Signals of Banking Sector Vulnerabilities in Central and East European Emerging Markets.” Bank of Estonia Working Papers, No 08.
- Mendoza, E.G., and V. Quadrini. 2010. “Financial globalization, financial crises and contagion.” Journal of Monetary Economics 57, 24–39.
- Nijskens, R., and W. Wagner. 2011. Credit risk transfer activities and systemic risk: how banks became less risky individually butposed greater risks to financial system at the same time. Journal of Banking and Finance 35, 1391–1398.
- Pasiouras, F., Gaganis, C., and C. Zopoundis. 2006. The impact of bank regulations, supervision, market structure, and bank characteristic on individual bank ratings: A cross-country analysis. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting 27, 403-438.
- Perotti, E., and , J. Suarez. 2009. Liquidity Risk Charges as a Macroprudential Tool. Mimeo-graph.
- Pozsar, Z., Adrian, T., Ashcraft, A.B., and H. Boesky. 2010. Shadow Banking. Staff Report No. 458. Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ratnovski, L. 2009. Bank liquidity regulation and the lender of last resort. Journal of Financial Intermediation 18, 541–558.
- Shehzad, C.T., De Haan, J., and , L.J.R. Scholtens. 2010. The impact of bank ownership concentration on impaired loans and capital adequacy. Journal of Banking and Finance 34, 399-408.
- Shin Hyun Song. 2009. Reflections on Northern Rock: The bank run that heralded the global financial crisis. Journal of Economic Perspectives. 23, 101–120.
- Shleifer, A., and R. Vishny. 2011. Fire sales in finance and macroeconomics. Journal of Economic Perspectives. 25, 29–48.
- Stein, J.C. 2011. Monetary policy as financial-stability regulation. Working Paper. Harvard University. Valencia Fabián. 2014. Monetary policy, bank leverage, and financial stability. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control. Volume 47, October 2014, Pages 20-38.
- Van den Heuvel, S.J. 2009. The Bank Capital Channel of Monetary Policy, Federal Reserve
- Zhou, C. 2010. Are Banks Too Big to Fail? Measuring Systemic Importance of Financial Institutions, International Journal of Central Banking, 64): 205-250.
Publication order reference