Unintended Consequences : the Financial Assumptions and Economic Theory of Obamacare : the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
This article examines the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA,) often referred to colloquially as Obamacare, from a financial and economic perspective in order to analyze the potential efficacy of the system. Research was gathered pertaining to the stated objectives of the program, and economic theory was applied in order to reveal if the aims of the program are congruent with economic theory. It was found that the authors of the ACA did not anticipate or under-anticipated several economic effects of the legislation, which will hamper the implementation and effectiveness of the program. Furthermore, the economic theories employed by the Obama administration relied heavily upon classical economic theory, with little or no attention given to Transaction Cost Economics (TCE). Moreover, the law itself is overly complex and controversial due to a myriad of provisions added through the intercession of lobbyists from the healthcare, insurance and special interest sectors. The end result is that Americans may obtain a slightly improved healthcare system, but the United States will most likely still lag behind the rest of the industrialized world in many key health statistics.
- ACEP. American College of Emergency Physicians. 2014. Main Points of EMTALA, http://www.acep.org/content.aspx? id=25936 (access: 10.02.2014).
- AHA. American Hospital Association. 2011. Uncompensated care represents 6% of total hospital costs. American Hospital Association, Trends Affecting Hospitals and Health Systems 2011, Chapter 4, Slide 7, http://www.aha.org/research/reports/tw/chartbook/index.shtml (access: 12.02.2014).
- ANDERSON J.H. 2013. Gallup Poll: Obamacare is Costing Americans Jobs, http://www.weeklystan-dard.com/blogs/gallup-poll-obamacare-costing- americans-jobs-737014.html (access: 3.02.2014).
- BLANEY C. 2012. Critical Analysis of the Role of the Federal Government in Health Services Delivery in the United States. Journal of Global Healthcare Systems, 2(1), www.jghcs.info (access: 10.02.2014).
- CBO. Congressional Budget Office. 2010. Cost Estimate for Pending Health Care Legislation. Congressional Budget Office. March 20. Washington DC: Congress of the United States.
- CDC. Centers for Disease Control. 2013. CDCs Abortion Surveillance System FAQs. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/Data-Stats/ Abortion.htm (access: 10.02.2014).
- CNN. Cable News Network. 2009. Senate panel votes down public option for health care bill. http://edition.cnn.com/2009/P0LITICS/09/29/senate.public.option/(access: 3.02.2014).
- EMTALA. Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act. 1986. U.S. Code Title 42 Chapter 7 Subchapter XVIII Part E § 1395dd 42 U.S. Code § 1395dd, www.law.cornell.edu/us-code/text/42/1395dd (access: 10.02.2014).
- GAUVEY H.D. 2011. Public Option. National Journal, http://www.nationaljournal.com/njonline/public-option-20090810 (access: 10.02.2014).
- Guttmacher Institute Abortion resources, http://www.guttmacher.org/sections/abortion.php (access: 3.02.2014).
- Foxnews. 2014. House passes bill to ban abortions from being covered under Obamacare, http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/28/house- passes-bill-to-ban-abortions-from-being-covered-under-obamacare/ (access: 8.02.2014).
- HAMILTON K. 2013. Obama Bars Illegal Immigrants and Sticks Hospitals with the Bill. The Atlantic, http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/12/obamacare-bars-illegal-immigrants-and-sticks-hospitals-with- the-bill/282444/ access: 8.02.2014).
- HARRINGTON S. 2010. US Healthcare Reform: the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 77(3): 703-708. DOI: 10.1111/j.1539- 6975.2010.01371.x.
- HIMMELSTEIN D., THORNE D., WARREN E., WOOLHANDLER S. 2007. Medical Bankruptcy in the United States, 2007: Results of a National Study. American Journal of Medicine, 122(8): 741-746. DOI: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2009.04.012.
- NILC National Immigration Law Center. 2014. http://www.nilc.org/immigrantshcr.html (access: 7.02.2014).
- Obamacarefacts.com. 2010. http://www.obamacarefacts.com (access: 13.02.2014).
- OECD. 2013. Health at a Glance 2013: OECD Indicators. OECD Publishing. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1787/health-glance-2013-en (access: 10.02.2014).
- Office of the Actuary. 2010. 2010 ACTUARIAL REPORT ON THE FINANCIAL OUTLOOK FOR MEDICAID. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. United States Department of Health & Human Services. Washington DC: Office of the Actuary.
- Opensecrets.org. 2014. https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=c&showYear=a (access: 13.02.2014).
- Parenting. 2014. Hey America, Let's Not Leave Our Gifted Kids Behind! Babble.com/Parenting, http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/hey-america-let-39-not-leave-gifted-kids-203400321.html (access: 10.02.2014).
- Planned Parenthood. 2013. Planned Parenthood Annual Report 2012/2013. New York, p. 17, 18, http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/AR-FY13-111213-vF-rev3-ISSUU.pdf (access: 10.02.2014).
- PPACA. 2010. Compilation of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. 11th Congress, 2d session. Print 111-1. Office of the Legislative Council for the use of the U.S. House of Representatives, May 2010.
- REICH R. 2009. Why We Need a Public Health-Care Plan. The Wall Street Journal, http://on-line.wsj.com/news/articles/SB124580516633344953? mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fon-line.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB124580516633344953.html (access: 11.02.2014).
- Savethechildren.org. 2013. State of the World's Mothers report. http://www.savethechildren.org/ site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.8585863/k.9F31/State-of-the-Worlds-Mothers.htm (access: 1.02.2014).
- SHUFELT T. 2012. How the Productivity of Canada's Healthcare stacks up to the U.S. Huffington Post,http://busmess.fmancialpost.com/2012/06/18/how-the-productivity-of-canadas-health-care-stacks-up-to-the-u-s/ (accessed: 14.02.2014).
- TAUBMAN S., ALLEN H., WRIGHT B., BAICKER K., FINKELSTEIN A. 2014. Medicaid Increases Emergency-Department Use: Evidence from Oregon's Health Insurance Experiment. Science, 343(6168): 263-268. DOI: 10.1126/science.1246183.
- WILLIAMSON O. 1981. The Economics of Organization: The Transaction Cost Approach. The American Journal of Sociology, 87(3): 548-577.
- WND. 2014. 52 Reasons Obamacare Can't Work. WorldNetDaily, http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/52-shocking-reasons-obamacare-cant-work/ (access: 1.02.2014).
- WSJ. 2014. Obama delays employer mandate. Wall Street Journal, http://online.wsj.com/news/ar- ticles/SB10001424052702304558804579375213074082656?mg=reno64-wsj&url = http% 3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle %2FSB10001424052702304558804579375213074082656.ht ml (access: 14.02.2014).
Publication order reference