Translating News Texts During Wars and Conflicts: Challenges and Strategies
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
This paper examines the characteristics of news translation during wars and conflicts. There is limited research available concerning the issues of English-Arabic news translation, especially during conflicts. Based on an analysis of 11 CNN news headlines and Al-Jazeera parallel translations during the 2003 Iraq War, this study discusses the mechanics of news translation and interpretation and the strategies and challenges involved. Particularly, the paper explores news translation in the context of global information flows across the boundaries of space, language and culture. Building on existing research on news translation, and employing critical discourse and framing analyses, the study shows how news coverage of the Iraq War was framed to serve the competing narratives of war chroniclers as active participants in the conflict.
- Al-Mohammadi, Shaker. 2014. “Foreign Labor in the Arab Gulf and Its Impact on Language, Culture, and Identity.” Who Defi nes me: Negotiating Identity in Language and Culture. Ed. Yasser F. Selim, and Eid Mohammed. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 138–151.
- Baker, Mona. 2006. Translation and Confl ict: A Narrative Account. London and New York: Routledge.
- Baker, Mona. 2010. “Interpreters and Translators in the War Zone: Narrated and Narrators.” The Translator 16.2: 197–222.
- Baker, Mona. 2014. “Reframing Confl ict in Translation.” Social Semiotics 17.2: 151–169.
- Bielsa, Esperança. 2009. “Translation in Global News.” The Translator Studies in International Communication 15.1: 135–155.
- Bielsa, Esperança. 2010. “Translating News: A Comparison of Practices in News Agencies.” Translating Information. Ed. Roberto A. Valdeon. Oviedo: U nivers idad de Oviedo. 31–49.
- Bielsa, Esperança, and Susan Bassnett. 2008. Translation in Global News. London and New York: Routledge.
- Derbel, Emira. 2017a. Iranian Women in the Memoir: Comparing RLT and Persepolis (1) and (2). Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Derbel, Emira. 2017b. “The African Novel: The Ongoing Battle against Literary and National Neo-Colonialism.” International Journal of Information Technology and Language Studies 1.1: 39–51.
- Derbel, Emira. 2019. “Feminist Graphic Narratives: The Ongoing Game of Eluding Censorship.” Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences. 10.1: 49–57.
- Entman, Robert. 1993. “Framing: Toward Clarifi cation of a Fractured Paradigm.” Journal of Communication 43: 51–58.
- Entman, Robert. 2004. Projections of Power: Framing News, Public Opinion, and U.S. Foreign Policy. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Hall, Stuart. 1978. “The Social Production of News.” Policing the Crisis: Mugging, the State, and Law and Order. Ed. Stuart Hall, Chas Critcher, Tony Jeff erson, John Clarke, and Brian Roberts. London: Macmillan. 50–61.
- Khanjan, Alireza, Mohammad Amouzadeh, Abbas Eslami Rasekh, and Manoochehr Tavangar. 2013. “Ideological Aspects of Translating News Headlines from English to Persian.” Meta: Translators’ Journal 58.1: 87–102.
- Mhamdi, Chaker, Mostafa Al-Emran, and Said A. Salloum. 2018. “Text Mining and Analytics: A Case Study from News Channels Posts on Facebook.” Intelligent Natural Language Processing: Trends and Applications, Studies in Computational Intelligence,740. Ed. Khaled Shaalan, Aboul Ella Hassanien, and Fahmy Tolba. Cham: Springer. 399–415.
- Mhamdi, Chaker. 2016. “Transgressing Media Boundaries: News Creation and Dissemination in a Globalized World.” Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences 7.5: 272–277.
- Mhamdi, Chaker. 2017a. “Interpreting Games: Meaning Creation in the Context of Temporality and Interactivity.” Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences 8.4: 39–46.
- Mhamdi, Chaker. 2017b. “Framing ‘the Other’ in Times of Confl icts: CNN’s Coverage of the 2003 Iraq War.” Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 8.2: 147–153.
- Mhamdi, Chaker. 2017c. “The Use of Political Cartoons during Popular Protests: The Case of the 2011 Tunisia Uprising.” Journal of English Studies 15: 193–220.
- Reah, Danuta. 2002. The Language of Newspapers. London: Routledge.
- Rogers, Rebecca. 2004. “Setting an Agenda for Critical Discourse Analysis in Education.” An Introduction to Critical Discourse Analysis in Education. Ed. Rebecca Rogers. Mahwah: Laurence Erlbaum. 237–254.
- Rogers, Rebecca. 2011. Ed. An Introduction to Critical Discourse Analysis in Education. London: Routledge.
- Rowland, Dominic, and Simon Avery. 2001. “Styles of Journalism.” Writing with Style. Ed. Rebecca Stott, and Simon Avery. London: Longman. 105–126.
- Pan, Li. 2014. “Investigating Institutional Practice in News Translation: An Empirical Study of a Chinese Agency Translating Discourse on China.” Perspectives: Studies in Translatology 22.4: 547–565.
- Salama-Carr, Myriam. 2007. Ed. Translating and Interpreting Confl ict. Amsterdam and New York: Rodopi.
- Salloum, A. Salloum, Chaker Mhamdi, Mostafa Al-Emran, and Khaled Shaalan. 2017. “Analysis and Classifi cation of Arabic Newspapers’ Facebook Pages using Text Mining Techniques.” International Journal of Information Technology 1.2: 8–17.
- Sapir, Edward. 1949. Selected Writings in Language, Culture and Personality. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Sapir, Edward. 1956. Culture, Language and Personality. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Schäffner, Christina. 2004. “Political Discourse Analysis from the Point of View of Translation Studies.” Journal of Language and Politics 3.1: 117–150.
- Sorby, Stella. 2008. “Translating News from English to Chinese: Complimentary and Derogatory Language Usage.” Babel 54.1: 19–35.
- Spiessens, Anneleen, and Piet Van Poucke. 2016. “Translating News Discourse on the Crimean Crisis: Patterns of Reframing on the Russian Website InoSMI.” The Translator 22.3: 319–339.
- Tsai, Claire. 2005. “Inside the Television Newsroom: An Insider’s View of International News Translation in Taiwan.” Language and Intercultural Communication 5.2: 145–53.
- Tymoczko, Maria, and Edwin Gentzler. Ed. 2002. Translation and Power. Boston: University of Massachusetts Press.
- Van Dijk, Teun A. 1985. “Structures of News in the Press.” Discourse and Communication. Ed. Teun A. Van Dijk. Berlin: De Gruyter. 69–93.
- Van Dijk, Teun A. 1988. News as Discourse. Hillsdale: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Van Dijk, Teun A. 1998. Ideology: A Multidisciplinary Approach. London: Sage.
- Van Doorslaer, Luc. 2012. “Translating, Narrating and Constructing Images in Journalism with a Test Case on Representation in Flemish TV News.” Meta: Translators’ Journal 57.4: 1046–1059.
- Verdonk, Peter. 2002. Stylistics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Williams, Anthony. 2004. “‘Insiders’ Views on the Translation of News.” Paper presented at the Translation in Global News Conference, University of Warwick.
Publication order reference