Using the SERVQUAL model to evaluate the quality of services for a farm school store
Languages of publication
The main objective of this paper is to present and analyse the findings of research which aims to measure the services that a locally-based SME (Small-Medium Enterprise) campus store of a farm school provides to its customers. The examined start-up store is operated by the College students in the context of their entrepreneurship, business and marketing classes. After one year of operation students decided to evaluate the quality of the store’s services and measure the customers’ satisfaction by applying the well-known SERVQUAL model. The deployment of the model revealed at first the importance of the store know-how to measure services from the consumers’ perspective so as to better understand their needs. Secondly, the findings of the research highlighted ‘Security’, ‘Reliability’ and ‘Empathy’ as the most significant dimensions. The findings of this research can help small and medium enterprises to improve the services they provide to their customers by focusing on these three important dimensions.
- Centre for Business in Society Coventry University, UK
- Department of Logistics, ATEI Thessaloniki Thessaloniki, Greece
- Perrotis College The American Farm School of Thessaloniki
- Ajam, M., Sadeghifar, J., Anjomshoa, M., Mahmoudi, S., Honarvar, H. and Mousavi, S.M. (2014) ‘Assessing quality of healthcare service by the SERVQUAL
- model: A case study of a field hospital’, Journal of Military Medicine, 15 (4), pp. 273–279.
- Ali, S.S., Kaur, R., Pande, M.J.C. and Ahmad, F. (2014) ‘Service quality gap approach: A case of Indian customer’s satisfaction of private banks’,
- International Journal of Business Excellence, 7 (4), pp. 429–453.
- Anbari, Z., Mohammadi, M. and Taheri, M. (2014) ‘Measurement of quality of hospital services via SERVQUAL model’, Life Science Journal, 11 (6), pp. 51–56.
- Babakus, E. and Boller, G.W. (1992), ‘An empirical assessment of the SERVQUAL scale’, Journal of Business Research, 26 (6), pp. 253–68.
- Brogowicz, A.A., Delene, M.M. and Lyth, D.M. (1990) ‘A Synthesized Service Quality Model with Managerial Implications’, International Journal of Service
- Industry Management, 1 (1), pp. 27–45.
- Brown, T.J., Churchill, G.A. and Peter, J.P. (1993) ‘Research note: improving the measurement of service quality’, Journal of Retailing, 69 (1), pp. 126-
- Choudhury, K. (2014) ‘Service Quality and Customers’ Complaining Behavior: A Study of the Indian Banking Sector’, Services Marketing Quarterly, 35 (2),
- pp. 123–137.
- Cronin, J.J. and Taylor, S.A. 1992, ‘Measuring service quality: A re-examination and extension’, Journal of Marketing, 56 (3), pp. 55–68. Dabholkar, P.,
- Thorpe, D.I. and Rentz, J.O. (1996) ‘A Measure of Service Quality for Retail Stores: Scale Development and Validation’, Journal of the Academy of
- Marketing Science, 24 (1), pp.3–16.
- Evanschitzky, H., Iyer, G.R., Caemmerer, B. (2008) ‘Dimensions of satisfaction in retail settings: A research note’, Journal of Relationship Marketing, 7
- (3), pp. 275–285.
- Finn, D.W. and Lamb, C.W. (1991) ‘An Evaluation of the SERVQUAL Scales in a Retailing Setting’, Advances in Consumer Research, 18, pp. 483–490.
- Grönroos, C. (1984) ‘A Service Quality Model and Its Marketing Implications’, European Journal of Marketing, 18 (4), pp. 36–44.
- Haywood-Farmer, J. (1988) ‘A Conceptual Model of Service Quality’, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 8 (6), pp 19–29.
- Jiang, J.J., Klein, G. and Crampton, S.M. (2000) ‘A Note on SERVQUAL Reliability and Validity in Information Service Quality Assessment’, Decision
- Sciences, Summer, pp. 725–744.
- Johnston R. (1995) ‘The determinants of service quality: satisfiers and dissatisfiers’, International Journal of Service Industry Management, 6 (5), pp.
- Khamis, K. and Njau, B. (2014) ‘Patients’ level of satisfaction on quality of health care at Mwananyamala hospital in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania’, BMC Health
- Services Research, 14 (1), 18 September 2014, Article number 400.
- Lam, T., Wong, A. and Yeung, S. (1997) ‘Measuring Service Quality in Clubs: An Application of the SERVQUAL’, Australian Journal of Hospitality Management,
- 4, pp. 1–8.
- Mansori, S., Vaz, A. and Ismail, Z.M.M. (2014) ‘Service quality, satisfaction and student loyalty in Malaysian private education’, Asian Social Science,
- 10 (7), pp. 57–66.
- May, C. and Viljoen, P. (2014) ‘Service quality at a South African university: An exploratory study’, Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 5 (20),
- pp. 882–887.
- Newman, K. (2001) ‘Interrogating SERVQUAL: A Critical Assessment of Service Quality Measurement in a High Street Retail Bank’, International Journal of
- Bank Marketing, 19 (3), pp. 126–139.
- Panda, R.K. and Kondasani, R.K.R. (2014) ‘Assessing customers’ perceived service quality in private sector banks in India’, Serbian Journal of Management,
- 9, pp. 91–103.
- Papanikolaou, V. and Zygiaris, S. (2014) ‘Service quality perceptions in primary health care centres in Greece’, Health Expectations, 17 (2), pp. 197–207.
- Parasuraman, A., Berry, L.L. and Zeithaml, V.A. (1985) ‘A Conceptual Model of Service Quality and Its Implications for Future Research’, Journal of
- Marketing, 49 (4), pp. 41–50.
- Robinson, S. (1999) ‘Measuring Service Quality: Current Thinking and Future Requirements’, Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 17, pp. 21–32.
- Rust, R.T. and Oliver, R.L. (1994) ‘Service Quality: Insights and Managerial Implications from the Frontier’, in R.T. Rust and R.L. Oliver (eds.), Service
- Quality: New Directions in Theory and Practice, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Ryglová, K., Vajčnerová, I. and Šácha, J. (2013) ‘Approaches to quality management in hotel industry’, Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae
- Mendelianae Brunensis, 61 (7), pp. 2693–2699.
- Spreng, R.A. and Mackoy, R.D. (1996) ‘An Empirical Examination of a Model of Perceived Service Quality and Satisfaction’, Journal of Retailing, 72 (2),
- pp. 201–214.
- Tey, Y.S., Brindal, M., Fatimah, M.A., Kusairi, M.N., Ahmad Hanis, I.A. and Suryani, D. (2014) ‘The impact of service quality on business commitment in
- B2B segment of agribusiness: An exploratory study of HORECA sector in Malaysia’, International Food Research Journal, 21 (3), pp. 883–889.
- Tey, Y.S., Brindal, M., Fatimah, M.A., Kusairi, M.N., Ahmad Hanis, I.A. and Suryani, D. (2014) The impact of service quality on business commitment in B2B
- segment of agribusiness: An exploratory study of HORECA sector in Malaysia, International Food Research Journal, 21 (3), pp. 883–889.
- van Schalkwyk, R.D. and Steenkamp, R.J. (2014) ‘Service quality – Cases of private higher education institutions explored’, Corporate Ownership and
- Control, 11 (2), pp. 402–414.
- von Freymann, J. and Cuffe, B. (2010) ‘Consumer service quality assessments and future revenues in small businesses: A case study’, Services Marketing
- Quarterly, 31 (4), pp. 381–419.
- Wilson, N., Hall, T. and Fields, D. (2011) ‘Source of the Document International’ Food and Agribusiness Management Review, 14 (1), pp. 1–22.
- Wongrukmit, P. and Thawesaengskulthai, N. (2014) ‘Hospital service quality preferences among culture diversity’, Total Quality Management and Business
- Excellence, 25 (7–8), pp. 908–922.
- Zareinejad, M., Kaviani, M.A., Esfahani, M.J. and Masoule, F.T. (2014) ‘Performance evaluation of services quality in higher education institutions using
- modified SERVQUAL approach with grey analytic hierarchy process (G-AHP) and multilevel grey evaluation’, Decision Science Letters, 3 (2), pp. 143–156.
- Zeithaml, V., Parasuraman, A. and Berry, L.L. (1990) Delivering Quality S
Publication order reference