CHARITY BANKING: UTOPIA OR AN ALTERNATIVE TO GREEDY FINANCE?
Languages of publication
This paper will examine so-called charity banking in terms of the idea, the current impact on the banking market and the social aspects for communities and depositors. The current state-of-art is presented and an attempt to assess whether “charity” & “social” are appropriate words to describe banking. The terms: social/charity banking, social money and social return are defined. Then there are examples of banking institutions engaged in a social/charity approach. In the last part authors triy to evaluate how much truth there is in the social/charity statements of such institutions.
- Andreoni J. (1990) Impure Altruism and Donations to Public Goods: A Theory of Warm-Glow Giving. The Economic Journal, 100(401), 464-477.
- Akerlof G. A. (1984) Gift Exchange and Efficiency – Wage Theory: Four Views. The American Economic Review, 74(2), Papers and Proceedings of the Ninety – Sixth Annual Meeting of the American Economic Association, 79-83.
- Becchetti L., Borzaga D. (eds) (2010) The Economics of Social Responsibility: the World of Social Responsibility. London, Routledge.
- Berg J., Dickhaout J., McCabe K. (1995) Trust, Reciprocity, and Social History. Games and Economic Behaviour, 10, 122-142.
- Cecchetti S. G., Kaharougi E. (2015) Why Does Financial Sector Growth Crowd out Real Economic Growth? BIS Working Papers 490.
- Cecchetti S. G., Kaharougi E. (2012) Reassessing the Impact of Finance on Growth. BIS Working Papers 381.
- Does the Market Understand Rating Shopping? Predicting MBS Losses with Initial Yields. Review of Financial Studies, 29(2), 457-485.
- Easterlin R. A., Angelescu L. (2009) Happiness and Growth the World over: Time Series Evidence in the Happiness Income Paradox. IZA Discussion Paper (4060).
- GABV (2015) Real Economy – Real Returns. The Power of Sustainability – Focused Banking 2015, Global Alliance for Banking on Values (GABV).
- Keys B. J., Mukherjee T., Seru A., Vig V. (2010) Did Securitization Lead to Lax Screening? Evidence from Subprime Loans. Oxford Quarterly Journal of Economics, 125(1),
- Weber O., Remer S. (2011) Social Banks and the Future of Sustainable Finance. London, Routledge.
- Zelizer V. A. (1994) The Social Meaning of Money. Princeton University Press, New Jersey.
Publication order reference