Geoarchaeological studies in Paphos – first results
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
The geoarchaeological research conducted consisted of a geomorphological prospecting of the Paphos region and a geophysical examination of the ancient town of Nea Paphos and its agora. In addition, the morphogenetic processes that shaped the coastal plains of the Cypriot area were also determined and a research hypothesis that could explain the shrinking of the bay and the decline of the harbour north of the cape of Paphos was formulated. The Mala GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) ProEx System, which is compatible with shielded antenna of 500MHz, was used for the geophysical survey of the area. 95 profiles were completed in a northsouth direction (1m apart) and 51 in an eastwest direction (2m apart). One of the main difficulties was to distinguish the stone structures, as the bottoms of their walls were formed at the natural level of the rock and there were pebble layers located above them. Using versatile geophysical techniques, we have attempted to answer a couple of questions: Was the agora area a fully built-up one and what does the continuation of the walls into undiscovered sections of the agora signify?
- Czeppe Z., Flis J. and Mochnacki R. 1966. Geografia fizyczna świata. Warsaw.
- Dominik A., Królikowski K. and Szaflarski J. 1977. Słownik geografii świata, vol. 1. Warsaw.
- Karczewski J. 2007. Zarys metody radarowej. Krakow.
- Kathijotes N. and Azina P. 2014. Development of water management technologies in ancient Cyprus. In Programme and Abstracts from the Third Geoarchaeological Conference in Warsaw Impact of the Holocene Rapid Climate Events (8.2, 5.9, 4.2 ka and Others) on Past Cultures and Civilizations, 28th–29th November 2014, 9–10. Warsaw.
- Makowski J. 2006. Geografia fizyczna świata. Warsaw.
- Moffat I., Papadopoulos N., Donati J., Sarris A., Kalayci T., Cuenca-García C., Cantoro G., Argyriou N., Armstrong K., Kalogiropoulou E.,Manataki M., Simon F. X., Karapanagiotou A. V. and Hadji-Spiliopoulou G. 2015. Multi-component geophysical survey at the Classical Greek cities of Mantinea and Elis. Antiquity Journal (Projects Gallery) 89/345.
- Mydel R. and Groch J. (eds.) 2000. Przeglądowy Atlas Świata. Part 2: Azja. Krakow.
- Neubauer W. 2004. GIS in archaeology – the interface between prospection and excavation. Archaeological Prospection 11/3, 159–166.
- Neubauer W., Gugl C., Scholz M., Verhoeven G., Trinks I., Löcker K., Doneus M., Saey T. and Meirvenne M. 2014. The discovery of the school of gladiators at Carnuntum, Austria. Antiquity 88/339,173–190.
- Puskarz J. (ed.) 2008. Geografia świata. Encyklopedia PWN. Środowisko przyrodnicze. Warsaw.
- Zomeni Z. 2012. Quaternary Marine Terraces on Cyprus: Constraints on Uplift and Pedogenesis and the Geoarchaeology of Palaipafos. (Unpublished doctoral thesis, Oregon State University). Corvallis, Oregon.
Publication order reference