Failed Attempt: the Foreign Country of Adolescence in The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley
Languages of publication
Numbered in the compulsory reading lists, L.P. Hartley’s famous The Go-Between (1953) seems a novel predestined to become a subject of a discussion on relational teaching. The wide acclaim of both the novel and the film may be a proof of its timeless topicality. The present article offers an analysis of the literary rendering of the process of maturation and the meaning of interpersonal relations in adolescence. Next to school environment, private sphere and peer group are scrutinized in terms of the exposure of failed communication processes.
- Abbey, N. (2016). GSE Reading List. Retrieved from: http://www.kes.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/GCSEreadinglist.pdf
- Barnard, A. (2012). The Genesis of Symbolic Thought. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Elkind, D. (1995). Ties that Stress. The New Family Imbalance. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Erikson, E. H.(1963). Childhood and Society. New York: Norton.
- Esteban Bara, F. (2014). Without you none of this would have happened: a consideration of university teaching. Teaching in Higher Education, 19, 747–757.
- Fowler, J., Keen, S. (1978). Life Maps. Conversations on the Journey of Faith. Waco, TX: Word Books.
- Hartley, L.P. (2000). The Go-Between. London: Penguin Books.
- Hillis Miller, J. (2013). Reading for Our Time. Adam Bede and Middlemarch Revisited. Edinburgh: University Press.
- James, W. (1902). The Varieties of Religious Experience: A Study in Human Nature. New York: Longmans. Retrieved from: https://csrs.nd.edu/assets/59930/williams_1902.pdf.
- Kopaliński, W. (2006). Słownik Symboli. Warszawa: Oficyna Wydawniczna Rytm.
- Laurence, T. (1997). Morality and Psychological Development. In P. Singer (ed.), A Companion to Ethics. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Lerner, R. M., Roeser, R. W., Phelps, E. (Eds.), (2008). Positive Youth Development & Spirituality. From Theory to Research. West Coshohocken: Templeton Foundation Press.
- Natov, R. (2017). The Courage To Imagine. The Child Hero in Children‘s Literature. London: Bloomsbury.
- Woolf, V. (2000). The Waves. Ware: Wordsworth Classics.
- Jetta, M. K., Segalowitz, S. J. (2012), Adolescent Brain Development: Implications for Behavior, Oxford: Academic Press.
- Moshman, D. (2005). Adolescent Psychological Development. Rationality, Morality, and Identity. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.
- Putnam, F. W. (1997). Dissociation in Children and Adolescents: A Developmental Perspective. New York: The Guilford Press.
- Roeser, R. W., Isaac, S. S., Abo-Zena, M., Brittian, A., Peck, S. C. (2008). Self and Identity Processes in Spirituality and Positive Youth Development. In: Lerner, R. M., Roeser, R. W., Phelps, E. (Eds.). Positive Youth Development & Spirituality. From Theory to Research. (pp. 74 – 108). West Coshohocken: Templeton Foundation Press.
- Shelton, C. M. (1991). Morality and the Adolescent. A Pastoral Psychology Approach. New York: Crossroad.
- Singer, P. (Ed.) (1997). A Companion to Ethics. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Smith, A. (2011, June 17). Rereading: the Go-Between by L. P. Hartley. The Guardian. Retrieved from: https://www. theguardian.com/books/2011/jun/17/lp-hartley-go-between-ali-smith
- Spitzer, C., Barnow, S., Freyberger, H. J., Grabe, H.J. (2006). Recent Developments in the Theory of Dissociation. World Psychiatry, 5(2), 82–86. Retrieved from: https://www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525127/
- Squires, M. (1974). The Pastoral Novel. Studies in George Eliot, Thomas Hardy, and D.H. Lawrence. Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia.
- Weinbrot, H. D. (1990). Northrop Frye and the Literature of Process Reconsidered. Eighteenth-Century Studies, 24/2, 173–195.
- Weingartner, H. J., Putnam, F., George, D. T., Ragan P. (1995). Drug-state Dependent Autobiographical Knowledge. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 3, 304–307.
- Wright, A. (2001). Foreign Country. The Life of L. P. Hartley. London: Tauris Parker Paperbacks.
Publication order reference