Will the European Union Europeanise the Balkans to Avoid the Balkanisation of Europe?
Languages of publication
The purpose of this paper is to examine and analyse the appropriate modalities for the process of the Europeanisation of the countries from the Balkans, interalia, for the need to avoid the Balkanisation of Europe, bearing in mind all the aspects. The effects of these processes can be disseminated into two directions, EU-Balkans and vice versa, so the main point is to explore the common spots and to use them in the EU’s accession path of the Balkan countries. Due to the character of the paper, the most frequently used methods will be the descriptive method, the content analysis method and the comparative method.
- Adu-Gyamfi S. et al., The Balkans and the European Union, “Epiphany: Journal of Transdisciplinary Studies”, Vol. 9, No. 2/2016, p. 95, DOI:https://doi.org/10.21533/epiphany.v9i2.242.
- Anastasakis O., The Europeanisation of the Balkans, “The Brown Journal of World Affairs”, No. XII (1)/2005, p. 80.
- Bieber F., Kmezić M., EU enlargement in the Western Balkans in a time of uncertainty, „Policy brief, BiEPAG”, September 2016, pp. 1–16.
- Demetropoulou L., Europe and the Balkans: Membership Aspiration, EU Involvement and Europeanisation Capacity in South Eastern Europe, “Southeast European Politics”, Vol. 3, No. 2–3/2002, pp. 89–90.
- Demetropoulou L., European Integration and the Balkans, Conference Proceedings, 17th Annual Graduate Student Conference ‘E2K: A New Vision for Europe’, Institute on Western Europe, Columbia University, 2000, pp. 197–214.
- Gallagher T., Outcast Europe, The Balkans, 1789–1989: From the Ottomans to Milošević, Routledge, London and New York 2001, p. 2.
- Gligorov V. et al., Balkan Reconstruction and European Integration, The Wiiw Balkan Observatory, “Working Paper” 1999, pp. 27–28.
- Gozubenli A.S., Tekeshanoska N., Europeanisation of the Balkans vs Balkanisation of Europe: A Vision Limited by Realities, UBT International Conference, 2018, p. 6, DOI: https://doi.org/10.33107/ubt-ic.2018.390.
- Horvat K.V., Delanty K., Mitteleuropa and the European Heritage, „European Journal of Social Theory”, Vol. 11, No. 2/2008, pp. 203–218, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1368431007087474.
- Horvat K.V., Mandelic D., Some conceptual problems in tracking the influence of Europeanisation in South Eastern Europe: the case of the ex-Yugoslav Balkan region, in: Changing Identities in South Eastern Europe, ed. H. Scheck, ASO, Ljubljana, 2012, pp. 16–17.
- Ioakimides P. C., European Union and the Greek State, Themelio, Athens 1998.
- Jansen S., Cosmopolitan openings and closures in post-Yugoslav antinationalism, in: M. Novicka, M. Rovisco, Cosmopolitanism in practice, Ashgate, Aldershot 2008, p. 86.
- Petrovic T., The Long Journey to Home: Representation of Western Balkans in the political and media discourse, Mirovni inštitut, Ljubljana 2009.
- Radaelli C., Wither Europeanisation? Concept Stretching and Substantive Change, Political Studies Association Annual Conference, London 2000.
- Radovanovik T., From Balkanisation to Europeanisation of the Balkan Countries, “American International Journal on Contemporary Research”, Vol. 2, No. 4/2012, p. 208.
- Schmitter P., The influence of the international context upon the choice of national institutions and policies in neo-democracies, in: The International Dimensions of Democratization – Europe and the Americas, ed. L. Whitehead, Oxford University Press, Oxford 1996, pp. 26–54, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/0199243751.003.0002.
- Simic P., Balkans and Balkanisation: Western Perceptions of the Balkans in the Carnegie Commission’s Reports on the Balkan Wars from 1914 to 1996, “PERCEPTIONS”, Vol. XVIII, No. 2/2013, pp. 113–114.
- Velikonja M., Eurosis – Critics of the new Eurocentrism, Mirovni inštitut, Ljubljana 2005.
- Yalinkilicli E., From Neo-Balkanisation to Europeanisation: Institutional Change and Regional Cooperation in The Western Balkans, “Balkan Araştırma Enstitüsü Dergisi”, Vol. 3, No. 2/2014.
- Zizek S., Caught in Another’s Dream in Bosnia, in: Why Bosnia: Writings on the Balkan War, eds. R. Ali, W. Lifschulz, Pamphleteer’s Press, Stony Creek 1993, pp. 233–240.
Publication order reference