Several remarks on the circumstances of the construction and architectural form of the Order of St. Clare church in Stary Sącz
Languages of publication
The article presents an attempt at a new look at the architectural form of the Poor Clares church in Stary Sącz. In the current literature, this building was usually regarded as an example of the impact of Austrian architecture on the Lesser Poland region, both at the level of spatial arrangement and style. However, some similarities were pointed to the solutions used in the cathedral in Krakow. There were more doubts about dating, the more so as the written sources are not unambiguous. The construction of the church was mentioned in the 1880s, soon after the foundation of the monastery by Saint. Kinga, however, the consecration took place only in 1332. Many scholars, therefore, believed that the current building was at least partly founded in the 13th century, later it was only enlarged. An accessory later would be the vault of the western part of the corpus, above which there is a religious monastery. The analysis of the forms of the whole church, however, leads to the conclusion that it is, apart from modern transformations, a homogeneous structure and probably created in one construction action before 1332. The most important conclusions can be formulated on the basis of traceries, in which a specific spherical triangle motif with typeface has been abundantly used. sharpened triple, in the first quarter of the fourteenth century outside France commonly found only in the Rhineland, especially in the area around Lake Constance. Similar motifs are also present in the Cracow cathedral; in both buildings very similar brackets and ribs with a pear profile were also used. In considering the church of the Poor Clares in Stary Sącz, one should return to the thesis about the workshop relationship of this building with the cathedral in Krakow, whose creators also originate from Upper Rhineland. Moreover, it seems that a building of this class could not have been created without the support of Władysław Łokietek and queen Jadwiga, who maintained strong ties with the Sącz monastery.
Publication order reference