Japonia i Unia Europejska w obliczu nowej fali liberalizacji handlu światowego
Selected contents from this journal
The EU‑ Japan relations and a new wave of international trade liberalization
Languages of publication
The European Union and Japan have clearly been the heavyweights of international trade for decades. They are the first and the fourth largest economies in the world, respectively. Together they account for nearly one third of the global GDP and almost a quarter of all international trade. And yet their bilateral trade has been underperforming in recent years. Trade in goods actually declined since 2000 – both in relative and absolute terms – and trade in services, as well as foreign direct investment, clearly do not reflect the clout of these two advanced economies. However, since 2010 there have been serious attempts from the Japanese government and the European Commission at finding a way to revive and foster the EU‑Japan bilateral trade and economic relationship. In March 2013 they decided to launch negotiations in order to establish a comprehensive free trade area, or FTA. This article describes developments leading up to that point and presents an analysis of problems affecting the EU‑Japan trade. It does so in the context of a recent surge of international activity as regards trade liberalization through FTA negotiations following the effective failure of global trade talks in the World Trade Organization forum.
- Assessment of Barriers to Trade and Investment between the EU and Japan – Final Report by Copenhagen Economics, European Commission DG Trade, 30 XI 2009, [online] http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2010/february/tradoc_145772.pdf.
- Civil Society Meeting: Public Consultation on Future Framework of EU‑Japan Trade and Economic Relations, European Commission, 19 X 2010, [online] http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2010/october/tradoc_146847.pdf.
- Commission Staff Working Document: Impact Assessment Report on EU‑Japan Trade Relations,
- European Commission, 18 VII 2012, [online] http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2012/july/tradoc_149809.pdf.
- De Gucht K., Challenge and Opportunity: Starting the Negotiations for Free Trade Agreement between the EU and Japan, European Commission Press Release SPEECH/13/256, 25 III 2013, [online] http://europa.eu/rapid/press‑release_SPEECH‑13‑256_en.htm.
- De Gucht K., The Implications of the Lisbon Treaty for EU Trade Policy. S&D Seminar on EU Trade Policy in Oporto, 8 X 2010, [online] http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2010/ october/tradoc_146719.pdf.The Doha Round, World Trade Organization, [online] http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dda_e/dda_e.htm.
- EU Bilateral Trade and Trade with the World: Japan, European Commission DG Trade, 5 VII 2013, [online] http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2006/september/tradoc_113403.pdf.
- EU‑Japan Summit (Tokyo – 25 March 2013), European Commission Press Release IP/13/265, 21 III 2013, [online] http://europa.eu/rapid/press‑release_P‑13‑265_en.htm.
- EU‑Japan Summit. EU27 Trade in Goods Deficit with Japan Restricted to 8 bn euro in 2012, Eurostat News Release 47/2013, 22 III 2013, [online] http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_PUBLIC/6‑22032013‑AP/EN/6‑22032013‑AP‑EN.PDF.
- The EU’s Free Trade Agreements – Where Are We?, European Commission Press Release MEMO/13/282, 25 III 2013, [online] http://europa.eu/rapid/press‑release_MEMO‑13‑282_en.htm.
- First Round of EU‑Japan Trade Talks a Success, European Commission Press Release MEMO/13/348, 19 IV 2013, [online] http://europa.eu/rapid/press‑release_MEMO‑13‑348_en.htm.
- Joint Declaration on Relations between the European Community and its Member States and Japan, The Hague, 18 VII 1991, [online] http://eeas.europa.eu/japan/docs/joint_pol_decl_en.pdf.
- Prime Minister in Action: Council on Economic and Fiscal Policy, Prime Minister of Japan and His Cabinet, 24 I 2013, [online] http://www.kantei.go.jp/foreign/96_abe/actions/201301/24zaiseisimon_e.html.
- Remarks by H.E. Ambassador Odano at the Committee on International Trade, The Mission of Japan to the European Union, 13 IV 2011, [online] http://www.eu.emb‑japan.go.jp/Int%20Trade%20Committee.html.
- Shaping Our Common Future. An Action Plan for EU‑Japan Cooperation, Brussels, 2 XII 2001, [online] http://eeas.europa.eu/japan/docs/actionplan2001_en.pdf.
- Statement from United States President Barack Obama, European Council President Herman Van Rompuy and European Commission President José Manuel Barroso, European Commission Press Release MEMO/13/94, 13 II 2013, [online] http://europa.eu/rapid/press‑release_MEMO‑13‑94_en.htm.
- Trade with Japan, European Commission DG Trade, [online] http://ec.europa.eu/trade/ policy/countries‑and‑regions/countries/japan/.
- Trade with the United States, European Commission DG Trade, [online] http://ec.europa.eu/ trade/policy/countries‑and‑regions/countries/united‑states/.
- World Trade Report 2012. Trade and Public Policies: A Closer Look at Non‑tariff Measures in the 21stCentury, World Trade Organization, [online] http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp_e/anrep_e/world_trade_report12_e.pdf.
- Farming in Japan, „The Economist” 2013, 14 III.
- For whom the Bell Tolls, „The Economist” 2013, 27 IV.
- Glassman J. K., Trade Winds, „Foreign Policy” 2013, 26 IV, [online] http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2013/04/26/trade_winds?page=0,0.
- Health Care in Japan, „The Economist” 2013, 23 II.
- Japan Accuses China of Airspace Intrusion over Islands, BBC News, 13 XII 2012, [online] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world‑asia‑20707760.
- Japan and Enlarged Europe. Partners in Global Governance, red. E. Remacle, T. Ueta, Bruxelles 2005, International Insight, 4.
- Japan’s Public Debt, „The Economist” 2013, 4 V.
- Locked On, „The Economist” 2013, 9 II.
- Mazumdar A., Sen. Wyden Introduces Bill to Force USTR Transparency in TPP Negotiations, Bloomberg Law, 7 VI 2012, [online] http://about.bloomberglaw.com/law‑reports/sen‑wyden‑introduces/.
- Monetary Policy in Japan, „The Economist” 2013, 13 IV.
- Obe M., Sekiguchi T., Japan, EU to Start Trade Talks, „The Wall Street Journal” 2013, 25 III, [online] http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323605404578382251025043128.html#articleTabs%3Darticle.
- Once More with Feeling, „The Economist” 2013, 18 V.
- Spin and Substance, „The Economist” 2013, 2 III.
- Wacziarg R., K. Horn‑Welch, Trade Liberalization and Growth: New Evidence, „The World Bank Economic Review” 2008, Vol. 22, nr 2.
Publication order reference