Constitutional conflicts in the European Union: Court packing in Poland versus the United States.
Languages of publication
Court packing greatly threatens democracy. This paper examines, compares and draws conclusions from two attempts: The PiS government is near to packing Polish courts; President Roosevelt tried but failed to pack the U.S. Supreme Court in 1937. In most democracies a head of government with a legislative majority and strong party control can pack courts, giving complete control. The United States escaped; Roosevelt lacked complete party control. Poland is unlucky; PiS is strongly controlled. Peaceful domestic protest is necessary, but Poland’s hope is from EU-level institutional pressure, supported by major democracies, to reverse packing and prevent further seizure of power.
- Accession criteria (Copenhagen criteria). EUR-LEX. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/summary/glossary/accession_criteria_copenhague.html
- Bell, D., (2013, June 11). George Wallace Stood in a Doorway at the University of Alabama 50 Years Ago Today. USA Today. Retrieved from https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/press-past/2013/06/11/george-wallace-stood-in-a-doorway-at-the-university-of-alabama-50-years-ago-today
- Blackman, J., (2017, November 27). Republicans Should Not Pack the Courts. National Review, Retrieved from https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/11/republicans-court-nominations-congress-shouldnt-pack-courts/
- Calabresi, G., (2017, November 24). It Wouldn’t Be ‘Court-Packing’ for Republicans to Expand the Federal Courts. National Review. Retrieved from https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/it-wouldnt-be-court-packing-republicans-expand-federal-courts/
- Calabresi, G., &Hirji, S. (2017, November 27). Judicial Appointments After Judge Robert H. Bork. Balkinization. Retrieved from https://balkin.blogspot.com/2017/11/judicial-appointments-after-judge.html
- Calabresi, G., & Hirji, S. (2018, July 20) working paper, taken down from SSRN and not re-posted as of July 20, 2018.
- Carter, Z. (2018, June 27). Hey, Democrats: Pack The Court. HuffPost. Retrieved from https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hey-democrats-pack-the-court_us_5b33f7a8e4b0b5e692f3f3d4
- Constitution of the Republic of Poland (April 2, 1997). Retrieved from http://www.sejm.gov.pl/prawo/konst/angielski/kon1.htm
- Davies, C. (2018a, May). Hostile Takeover: How Law and Justice Captured Poland’s Courts. Nations in Transition Analytical Brief. Freedom House. Retrived from: https://freedomhouse.org/report/special-reports/hostile-takeover-how-law-and-justice-captured-poland-s-courts
- Davies, C., (2018b, July 2). Poland's supreme court constitutional crisis approaches a standoff. Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/02/polands-supreme-court-constitutional-crisis-comes-to-a-head
- Dickens, C., (1850), David Copperfield.
- E.U. Commission (2018, August 14). Press Release. Brussels.
- Fehrenbacher, D. (1978). The Dred Scott Case. Its Significance in American Law and Politics. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Gavel to Gavel. Over a dozen efforts to alter number of state supreme court justices, almost all related to “packing” the courts, in last several years. Retrieved from http://gaveltogavel.us/2013/02/05/over-a-dozen-efforts-to-alter-number-of-state-supreme-court-justices-almost-all-related-to-packing-the-courts-in-last-several-years/
- Gavel to Gavel. Plans to add 2 justices to the Arizona and Georgia supreme courts pass committee hurdles; critics call them court packing plans. Retrieved from http://gaveltogavel.us/2016/03/17/plans-add-2-justices-arizona-georgia-supreme-courts-pass-committee-hurdles-final-floor-votes-happen-soon/
- Goodman, R., (2018, July 04). Hey Democrats, Fighting Fair Is for Suckers. Court-packing! Puerto Rican statehood! Votes for felons! Why—and how—the next Democratic majority should play dirty. Politico. Retrieved from https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/07/04/democrats-majority-rules-norms-trump-2020-218947.
- GRECO. (2018,19-23 March)/ Ad hoc Report on POLAND (Rule 34). Adopted by GRECO at its 79th Plenary Meeting.
- Harrison, J., (2017). The Political Question Doctrines. American University Law Review, 67, 457-528.
- Heagney, M. (2013, May 15). Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Offers Critique of Roe v. Wade During Law School Visit. University of Chicago Law School. Retrieved from https://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-offers-critique-roe-v-wade-during-law-school-visit
- Krock, A., (1938, November 9). Win back 10 states; Republicans take Ohio, Wisconsin, Kansas and Massachusetts. New York Times, pp. ……
- Kumm, M., & Comella, Ferreres V. (2005). The primacy clause of the constitutional treaty and the future of constitutional conflict in the European Union. International Journal of Constitutional Law, 3, pp. 473–492. doi: 10.1093/icon/moi029
- Letowska, E. (2018, February 20). Position of the Helsinki Committee in Poland. An open letter. Public Seminar. Retrieved from http://www.publicseminar.org/2018/02/position-of-the-helsinki-committee-in-poland/
- Leuchtenburg, W.E. (1995). The Supreme Court Reborn: The Constitutional Revolution in the Age of Roosevelt. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Lewis, A., (1957, September 24). President Sends Troops to Little Rock, Federalizes Arkansas National Guard; Tells Nation He Acted to Avoid An Anarchy. New York Times. Retrieved fromhttps://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0925.html#article
- Lisbon Treaty. (2017). In Wikisource. Consolidated protocols, annexes and declarations attached to the treaties of the European Union/Declarations. Retrieved from https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Consolidated_protocols,_annexes_and_declarations_attached_to_the_treaties_of_the_European_Union/Declarations#17._Declaration_concerning_primacy
- Lithwick, D.(2017, November 22). Judges Over Principles. The never-Trump legal movement has morphed into a push to pack the courts with Trump-selected judges. Slate. Retrieved from http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/11/the_never_trump_legal_movement_has_morphed_into_a_plan_to_pack_the_courts.html
- Matczak, M. (2018a, March 8). Poland: From Paradigm to Pariah? Polish Constitutional crisis – facts and interpretations. Lecture, Oxford.
- Matczak, M. (2018b, July 6). Poland’s Constitutional Crisis: Facts and interpretations. The Foundation for Law, Justice and Society.
- Matthews, D. (2018, July 10). Court-packing, Democrats’ nuclear option for the Supreme Court, explained, Vox. Retrieved from https://www.vox.com/2018/7/2/17513520/court-packing-explained-fdr-roosevelt-new-deal-democrats-supreme-court
- Mazur, D. &Żurek, W.(2017). The Judiciary in Poland at the Threshold of 2017: Challenges and Threats. Ruch Prawniczy, Ekonomiczny i Socjologiczny.
- McKenna, M.C. (2002). Franklin Roosevelt and the Great Constitutional War: The Court-packing Crisis of 1937. New York, NY: Fordham University Press.
- Millhiser, I.(2015 February 23). In Defense of Court-Packing. Slate. Retrieved from http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2015/02/fdr_court_packing_plan_obama_and_roosevelt_s_supreme_court_standoffs.html
- Murray, C. (2012). Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010. Crown Forum.
- Primus, R.(2017, November 24). Rulebooks, Playgrounds, and Endgames: A Constitutional Analysis of the Calabresi-Hirji Judgeship Proposal, Harvard Law School Blog. Retrieved from https://bTYlog.harvardlawreview.org/rulebooks-playgrounds-and-endgames-a-constitutional-analysis-of-the-calabresi-hirji-judgeship-proposal/
- Saad, L. (2016, February 26), Gallup Vault: A Supreme Court Power Play. Retrieved from https://news.gallup.com/vault/189617/supreme-court-power-play.aspx
- Santora, M. (2018). Amid Growing Uproar, Poland to Remove 27 Supreme Court Justices. New York Times, pp.
- Schlesinger, Arthur, Jr. (2003a). The Coming of the New Deal, 1933-1935 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol. 2). Mariner Books.
- Schlesinger, Arthur, Jr. (2003b). The Politics of Upheaval: 1935-1936, (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 3). Mariner Books.
- Somin, I.(2017, November 27). The case against court-packing. The Volokh Conspiracy. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/11/27/the-case-against-court-packing/?utm_term=.59e6854f2696
- Somin, I. (2018, July 3). The Case Against Court-Packing Revisited. Volokh Conspiracy. Retrieved from https://reason.com/volokh/2018/07/03/the-case-against-court-packing-revisited?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email
- Sweeney, Richard J. (2018). Constitution Making in the Great Federations: The E.U. Constitution in Light of U.S. Constitutional Crises. Mimeo.
- Szczerbiak, A. (2017, January 19). Is Poland’s constitutional tribunal crisis over?. University College London, The Constitution Unit. Retrieved from https://constitution-unit.com/2017/01/19/is-polands-constitutional-tribunal-crisis-over/
- Szczerbiak, A. (2018, January 20). Analysis: Impact of Article 7 on Polish Politics. Delano. Retrieved from http://delano.lu/d/detail/news/analysis-impact-article-7-polish-politics/167195
- The Constitution of the Republic of Poland, chapter VIII, art. 175,178,179,183,187-190,194,195 & 197.
- Tushnet, M.(2017, November 25). Expanding the Judiciary, the Senate Rules, and the Small-c constitution. Balkinization. Retrieved from https://balkin.blogspot.com/2017/11/expanding-judiciary-senate-rules-and.html
- U.S. Const. In Balletopedia. Impeachment of federal judges. Retrieved from https://ballotpedia.org/Impeachment_of_federal_judges
- U.S. Const. The Bill of Rights & All Amendments. Note 10. Retrieved from http://constitutionus.com/#n10
- United States Senate Committee on Governmental Affairs & House of Representatives Committee on Government Reform, (published after each Presidential election). Plum book
- Wheeler, Burton K. (1937, March 10). First Member of the Senate to Back the President in '32. Chicago Forum. Retrieved from http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/history/johnson/wheeler.htm
- White, Edward G. (2000). The Constitution and the New Deal. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Yoo, J.& Delahunty, R. (2018, July 19). The Foolish Court-Packing Craze. National Review. Retrieved from https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/court-packing-ideas-threaten-judicial independence/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=NR%20Daily%20Monday%20through%20Friday%202018-07-19&utm_term=NR5PM%20Actives
Publication order reference