Do institutional and political factors matter for the efficiency of banking sectors?
Languages of publication
This paper investigates the relevance of banking- sector- specific and macroeconomic determinants of profitability of 21 banking sectors over the years 1995-2009. In the analysis we apply the Arellano and Bond GMM-estimator to aggregated data collected in a harmonized way by the OECD, to find out whether banking-sector-specific and macroeconomic determinants which significantly affect the efficiency of individual banks, are also of great importance to the profitability (proxied by ROA and ROE ratios) of banking sectors. Our results suggest that banking-sector-specific determinants affect the efficiency of banks in the anticipated way. Macroeconomic variables have a statistically-significant impact on both ROA and ROE. The sensitivity of efficiency to both groups of determinants depends on institutional and political criteria.
- Abreu M., Mendes V. (2002) Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Evidence from E.U. Countries. Working Paper Series, Porto.
- Albertazzi U., Gambacorta L. (2009), Bank profitability and the business cycle. Journal of Financial Stability 5 (2009), pp. 393–409.
- Arellano M., Bond S.R. (1991), Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations, Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 58, No. 2, April.
- Athanasoglou P.P., Brissimis S.N., Delis M.D. (2008) Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money 18 (2008), pp. 121–136.
- Barth J.R., Caprio G. Jr., Levine R. (2006) Rethinking Bank Regulation. Till Angels Govern. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Barth J.R., Caprio G. Jr., Levine R. (2013) Bank Regulation and Supervision in 189 Countries from 1999 to 2011. Available at: http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/ross_levine/Papers/Bank_Regulation_and_Supervision_Around_the_World_15JAN2013.pdf
- Barth J.R., Lin Ch., Ma Y., Seade J., Song F.M. (2013) Do bank regulation, supervision and monitoring enhance or impede bank efficiency? Journal of Banking & Finance 37, pp. 2879–2892, DOI: 10.1108/S1569-3767(2013)0000014009.
- Beck T., Demirgüç-Kunt B., Levine R. (2009) Financial Institutions and Markets across Countries and over Time. Data and Analysis. Policy Research Working Paper 4943, World Bank.
- Beck T., Levine R. (2002) Industry growth and capital allocation: does having a market- or bank-based system matter? Journal of Financial Economics 64, pp. 147–180.
- Berger A.N., Humphrey D.B. (1997) Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research, Federal Reserve System, Board Of Governors, Finance And Economics Discussion Series, No. 11.
- Berger A.N., Mester L.J. (1997) Inside the Black Box: What Explains differences in the Efficiencies of Financial institutions?, Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 21, No. 7, pp. 895–947.
- Berger A., (1995) The profit-structure relationship in banking: tests of market – power and efficient – structure hypotheses. Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 21, No. 7, pp. 895–947.
- Berger A., Bonime S.D., Covitz D.M., Hancock D., (2000) Why are bank profits so persistent? The roles of product market competition, informational opacity, and regional/macroeconomic shocks. Journal of Banking and Finance 24 (7), pp. 1203–1235, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4266(99)00124-7
- Bikker J.A., Hu H. (2002) Cyclical Patterns in Profits, Provisioning and Lending of Banks, DNB Staff Reports, No. 86, Amsterdam.
- Borio C., Furfine C., Lowe P. (2001) Procyclicality of the financial system and financial stability: issues and policy options. BIS Papers No 1, Basel: Bank for International Settlements.
- Bourke P. (1989) Concentration and other determinants of bank profitability in Europe, North America and Australia. Journal of Banking and Finance 13 (1), pp. 65–79.
- Brissimis S.N., Delis M.D., Papanikolaou N.I. (2008) Exploring the nexus between banking sector reform and performance: evidence from newly acceded EU countries. Journal of Banking and Finance 32 (12), pp. 2674–2683, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2008.07.002
- Chen X. (2007) Banking deregulation and credit risk: Evidence from the EU. Journal of Financial Stability 2, pp. 356–390, DOI: 10.1016/j.jfs.2006.11.002
- Claessens S., Kose M.A., Terrones M.E. (2010) The global financial crisis: How similar? How different? How costly? Journal of Asian Economics 21, pp. 247-264, DOI: 10.1016/j.asieco.2010.02.002
- Demirgüç-Kunt A., Detragiache E. (2002) Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability? An empirical investigation. Journal of Monetary Economics 49, pp. 1373–1406, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3932(02)00171-X
- Demirguc-Kunt A., Huizinga H. (2000) Financial structure and bank profitability. Policy Research Working Paper Series 2430. The World Bank, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1596/1813-9450-2430.
- Demirgüç-Kunt A., Huizinga H. (1999) „Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence”, The World Bank Economic Review, Vol. 13, pp. 430–455.
- DeYoung R., Rice T. (2004) Noninterest income and financial performance at US Commercial Banks”, Financial Review, Vol. 39, pp. 101–127, DOI: 10.1111/j.0732-8516.2004.00069.x
- Dietrich A., Wanzenried G. (2011) Determinants of bank profitability before and during the crisis: Evidence from Switzerland. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money 21(2011), pp. 307–327, DOI: 10.1016/j.intfin.2010.11.002
- Djankov S., La Porta R., Lopez-de-Silanes F., Shleifer A. (2008) The law and economics of self-dealing. Journal of Financial Economics No 88, pp. 430-465, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2007.02.007
- Djankov S., McLiesh C., Shleifer A. (2007) Private credit in 129 countries. Journal of Financial Economics No 84, pp. 299–329.
- Fiordelisi F., Marques-Ibanez D., Molyneux P. (2011) Efficiency and risk in European banking. Journal of Banking & Finance 35, pp. 1315–1326.
- Fonseca A.R., González F. (2008) Cross-country determinants of bank income smoothing by managing loan-loss provisions, Journal of Banking & Finance 32, pp. 217–228.
- Foos D., Norden L., Weber M., 2010, Loan growth and riskiness of banks, Journal of Banking & Finance 34, pp. 2929–2940, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2010.06.007
- García-Herrero A., Gavilá S., Santabárbara D. (2009) What explains the low profitability of Chinese banks? Journal of Banking and Finance 33, pp. 2080–2092, DOI: 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2009.05.005
- Goddard J., Molyneux P., Wilson J. (2004) The profitability of European Banks: a cross-sectional and dynamic panel analysis. Manchester School 72 (3), pp. 363–381, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9957.2004.00397.x
- Goddard J., Liu H., Molyneux P., Wilson J.O.S. (2011) The persistence of bank profit. Journal of Banking & Finance 35, pp. 2881–2890, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2011.03.015
- Golin J. (2001) The Bank Credit Analysis Handbook: A Guide for Analysts, Bankers and Investors. John Wiley & Sons, Asia.
- Hume M., Sentance A. (2009) The Global Credit Boom: Challenges for Macroeconomics and Policy, Journal of International Money and Finance 28 (2009), pp. 1426–1461, DOI: 10.1016/j.jimonfin.2009.08.009
- Jiménez G., Saurina J. (2006) Credit cycles, credit risk, and prudential regulation. International Journal of Central Banking (2), pp. 65–98.
- Laeven L., Majnoni G. (2003) Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns: too much, too late?, Journal of Financial Intermediation 12(2003), pp. 178–197.
- Leuz Ch., Nanda D., Wysocki P. (2003) Earnings management and investor protection, Journal of Financial Economics 69, pp. 505–527.
- Liu Ch.-Ch., Ryan G.S. (2006) Income Smoothing over the Business Cycle: Changes in Banks’ Coordinated Management of Provisions for Loan Losses and Loan Charge-Offs from the Pre-1990 bust to the 1990s Boom. The Accounting Review, Vol. 81, No. 2, pp. 421–441.
- Lozano-Vivas A., Pasiouras F. (2010) The impact of non-traditional activities on the estimation of bank efficiency: international evidence. Journal of Banking & Finance 34, pp. 1436–1440.
- Micco A., Panizza U., Yanez M. (2007) Bank ownership and performance. Does politics matter? Journal of Banking and Finance 31 (1), pp. 219–241, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2006.02.007
- Mirzaei A., Moore T., Liu G. (2013) Does market structure matter on banks’ profitability and stability? Emerging vs. advanced economies. Journal of Banking & Finance 37, pp. 2920–2937, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2013.04.031
- Molyneux P., Thornton J. (1992) Determinants of European Bank Profitability: A Note. Journal of Banking and Finance 16 (6), pp. 1173–1178.
- Pasiouras F., Kosmidou K. (2007) Factors influencing the profitability of domestic and foreign commercial banks in the European Union. Research in International Business and Finance 21 (2), pp. 222–237, DOI: 10.1016/j.ribaf.2006.03.007
- Short B. (1979) The relation between commercial bank profit rates and banking concentration in Canada, Western Europe and Japan. Journal of Banking and Finance 3 (3), pp. 209–219.
- Smirlock M. (1985) Evidence of the non-relationship between concentration and profitability in banking. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 17(1), pp. 69-83.
- Staikouras C., Wood G. (2003) The determinants of bank profitability in Europe. In: European Applied Business Research Conference Proceedings, Venice.
Publication order reference