Member States as Strategy–Maker or Strategy–Taker? Analysing Polish Involvement in the Development of the EU Global Strategy
Languages of publication
The drafting process of the EU Global Strategy published in June 2016 has differed distinctively from the formulation of the European Security Strategy in 2003 mainly because of its consultative character. The coordination of the process was ensured by the High Representative who brokered between interests of individual Member States. Looking through the lens of deliberative intergovernmentalism, the paper examines patterns and channels of the cooperation between Poland and the EEAS throughout the strategy–making process. It attempts to shed light on the officially repeated claims on the Member States’ ownership of the document and their active participation in the consultations. The article argues that only with national diplomacies as strategy–makers, the document would have a chance to enhance the EU’s ’will to project power’ in its neighbourhood and beyond. However, the salience of the new strategy among the high political level in the Member States reveals to be crucial for a sustainable contribution to the deliberative policy formulation.
- Andersson, J. J., Brattberg, E., Haggqvist, M., Ojanen H., & Rhinard, M. (2011). The European Security Strategy: Reinvigorate, Revise or Reinvent? Stockholm: The Swedish Institute for International Affairs.
- Becher, K. (2004). Has–Been, Wannabe, or Leader: Europe’s Role in the World After the 2003 European Security Strategy, European Security, 13 (4), 345–359, DOI:10.1080/09662830490500008.
- Bickerton, C. J.; Hodson, C. J., & Puetter, U. (2015). The New Intergovernmentalism: European Integration in the Post–Maastricht Era, Journal of Common Market Studies 53(4), 703–722.
- Bickerton, C. J.; Hodson, D., & Puetter, U.. Eds. (2015a). The New Intergovernmentalism States and Supranational Actors in the Post–Maastricht Era. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Buras, P. (2015). Can Poland remain a leader of EU foreign policy? ECFR Commentary. Retrieved from http://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_can_poland_remain_a_leader_of_eu_foreign_policy418.
- Ciesluk–Grajewski, M. (2015). Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP). At a glance. What Think Tanks are thinking. The European Parliament, 20 March 2015. Retrieved from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2015/550884/EPRS_ATA(2015)550884_EN.pdf.
- Ciesluk–Grajewski, M. (2016). The EU’s global strategy. At a glance. What Think Tanks are thinking. The European Parliament, 27 May 2016. Retrieved from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2016/579317/EPRS_ATA(2016)579317_EN.pdf.
- Ciesluk–Grajewski, M. (2016a). The EU’s global role. At a glance. What Think Tanks are thinking. The European Parliament, 7 October 2016. Retrieved from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2016/589759/EPRS_ATA(2016)589759_EN.pdf.
- Cooper, R. (2015). Evidence Session No. 2. The United Kingdom Parliament, 10 September 2015. Retrieved from: http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/eu–external–affairs–subcommittee/strategic–review–of–the–eus–foreign–and–security–policy/oral/21502.html.
- Council of the European Union (2016). Council conclusions on the Global Strategy on the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy, 17 October 2016, 13202/16, Brussels.
- Edwards, G. (2013). The EU’s foreign policy and the search for effect, International Relations, 27 (3), 276–291.
- Eriksen, E.O. (2000). Deliberative supranationalism. In E.O. Eriksen & J.E. Fossum (Eds.) Democracy in the European Union: Integration through Deliberation? (42–64). London: Routledge.
- EEAS (2015). The European Union in a changing global environment. A more connected, contested and complex world. EU Global Strategy. The European Union, 25 June 2015. Retrieved from: https://europa.eu/globalstrategy/en/strategic–review–european–union–changing–global–environment.
- EUISS (2016). Towards an EU global strategy – Consulting the experts. Institute for Security Studies. Retrieved from: http://www.iss.europa.eu/uploads/media/EUGS_Expert_Opinions.pdf.
- European Council (2016). European Council Conclusions, 27/28 June 2016, EUCO 26/16, Brussels.
- European Council (2013). European Council Conclusions, 19/20 December 2013, EUCO 217/13, Brussels.
- EGS (2013). Towards a European Global Strategy. Securing European influence in a changing world. Polski Instytut Spraw Międzynarodowych. Retrieved from: http://www.pism.pl/files/?id_plik=13792.
- Janning, J. (2016). Poland: Europe’s unlikely influencer, ECFR Note from Berlin. Retrieved from: http://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_poland_europes_unlikely_influencer_7028.
- Kaminska, J. (2014). Poland and EU Enlargement Foreign Policy in Transformation. New York: Palgrave Maximilian.
- Keohane D., Lehne S., Speck U., & Techau J. (2014). A New Ambition for Europe: A Memo to the European Union Foreign Policy Chief. Carnegie Europe. Retrieved from: http://carnegieeurope.eu/publications/?fa=57044.
- Kowal, P. (2015). Key Components of the Polish Position in Regard to the Eastern Policy of the European Union, Myśl Ekonomiczna i Polityczna, 3(50), 341–366.
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Poland (MFA 2016). Confronting security challenges in the EU neighbourhood – a comprehensive approach. Input paper from Poland on the EU Global Strategy on Foreign and Security Policy. (Non–paper in the possession of the author).
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Poland (MFA 2016a). EU Global Strategy on Foreign and Security Policy: The joint input by the V4 countries. (Non–paper in the possession of the author).
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Poland (MFA 2016b). EU Global Strategy: The Eastern Partnership. Food for Thought. (Non–paper in the possession of the author).
- Mogherini, F. (2016, April, 22) Speech by HR/VP Mogherini at the EUISS Annual Conference, Towards an EU Global Strategy – The Final Stage Paris. The European Union. Retrieved from: https://europa.eu/globalstrategy/en/speech–hrvp–mogherini–euiss–annual–conference–towards–eu–global–strategy–final–stage.
- Pomorska, K. (2007). The Impact of Enlargement: Europeanization of Polish Foreign Policy? The Hague Journal of Diplomacy, 2, 25–51. DOI: 10.1163/187119007X180467.
- Puetter, U. (2012). Europe’s deliberative intergovernmentalism: the role of the Council and European Council in EU economic governance, Journal of European Public Policy, 19 (2), 161–178, DOI: 10.1080/13501763.2011.609743.
- Solana, J. (2009). Ten Years of European Security and Defence Policy, ESDP Newsletter, 9, Retrieved from: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cmsUpload/.
- Sus, M. (2014). Polish Role in Shaping the EU Foreign and Security Policy during its Council Presidency in 2011, Yearbook of Polish European Studies, 17, 191–208.
- Szczerbiak, A. (2012). Poland within the European Union : the new awkward partner? London: Routledge.
- Techau, J. (2015). The Moral Pitfalls of Foreign Policy Weakness, Carnegie Europe, December. Retrieved from: http://carnegieeurope.eu/strategiceurope/?fa=62131.
- Techau, J. (2016). The EU’s New Global Strategy: Useful or Pointless? Carnegie Europe, July. Retrieved from: http://carnegieeurope.eu/strategiceurope/?fa=63994.
- Thomas, D. C. & Tonra, B. (2012). To What Ends EU Foreign Policy? Contending Approaches to the Union’s Diplomatic Objectives and Representation, The Hague Journal of Diplomacy, 7, 11–29. DOI: 10.1163/187119112X609176.
- Visegrad Group (2015). Bratislava Declaration of the Visegrad Group Heads of Government for a Stronger CSDP. The Visegrad Group. Retrieved from: http://www.visegradgroup.eu/calendar/2015/bratislava–declaration.
- Waszczykowski, W. (2016). Decyzja Brytyjczyków jest dla Polski niedobra. Interview for Gazeta Wyborcza on 24.06. Retrieved from: http://wyborcza.pl/1,75398,20295764,szef–msz–witold–waszczykowski–dla–wyborczej–decyzja–brytyjczykow.html.
- Winneker, C. (2016). Federica Mogherini: World needs EU ’like never before’. EU foreign policy chief offers preview of new ’global strategy’ for the Union. Politico, 6 June. Retrieved from: http://www.politico.eu/article/mogherini–eu–foreign–policy–strategy–security–defense/.
- Interview with Robert Cooper, October 2015
- Interview with an expert from German Institute for International and Security Affairs, November 2015
- Interview with an expert from Centre of Eastern Studies, November 2015
- Interview with an official from Polish MFA, November 2015
- Interview with an official from Polish Bureau for National Security, December 2015
- Interview with an expert from Polish Institute for International Affairs, June 2016
- Interview with an expert from Polish Institute for International Affairs, June 2016
- Interview with an official from Polish MFA, June 2016
The author is very grateful to the referees for their helpful comments and wishes to acknowledge the financial support of the National Research Council for this publication (along the project decision: DEC-2013/09/B/HS5/01356).
Publication order reference