Ageing society – a review of strategies for action
Languages of publication
It is expected that during 1980 – 2020 the population of older people worldwide will increase by 240%. The objective of the study was to review strategies undertaken in various countries in association with the ageing of society. This analysis may be used for the selection of actions, which are necessary for the construction and performance of social and health policy in Poland. A method of choice was an analysis of academic literature. The WHO specified health promotion as the most important goal of the policy for seniors. Individual countries adopt many varied strategies of action. In Poland, the introduction of nursing insurance and development of geriatric medicine are primarily proposed. In Japan, the emphasis is placed on enabling the elderly the longest occupational activity possible, and the development of primary health care. For the Swedish, the priority is guaranteed support for family caregivers, while in the United States - an increase in the accessibility of environmental care. There are many strategies developed on an international forum whose purpose is to provide care for the growing number of seniors. The strategies adopted by individual countries are much varied. The basic postulates are a development of geriatric medicine and integration of the systems of health services and social security. The literature lacks reports on the effectiveness of the implemented strategies.
- Czupryna A, Poździoch S, Ryś A, Włodarczyk C. Public health. 2nd ed. Kraków Uniwer-syteckie Wydawnictwo Medyczne Vesalius; 2001. (Polish)
- Zarzeczna-Baran M, Słodkowska D. Social situation of seniors and availability of medical services. Zdr Publ. 2004;114(4):502-7.
- Leowski J. Health policy and public health. Health care in market economy. 2nd ed. Warsaw (Poland): Wydawnictwo CeDeWu: 2009. (Polish)
- Bzdęga H, Gębska-Kuczerowska A. Epidemio-logy in public health. Warsaw Wydawnictwo Lekarskie PZWL: 2010. (Polish)
- Wojtczak A. Public health a challenge for health care systems in the 21st century. 1st ed. Warsaw (Poland): Wydawnictwo Lekarskie PZWL: 2009. p 47-50. (Polish)
- Barcikowska M, Członkowska A, Derejczyk J, Gabryelewicz T, Gębska-Kuczerowska A, Herczyńska G, Sienkiewicz-Jarosz H, Jóźwiak A, Naruszewicz M, Opala G, Parnowski T, Pawińska-Proniewska M, Radzikowska M, Rajska-Neumann A, Rószkiewicz M, Ryglewicz D, Wieczorowska-Tobis K, Witkowska B, Zdrojewski T. Public health problems in the context of ageing of the society. Raport. Post Psychiatr Neurol. 2006;15(3):203-11.
- Derejczyk J, Bień B, Szczerbińska K, Grodzicki T. Health care of the elderly. [Inter-net].Warszawa: Ombudsman; 2012 Oct [updated 2012 Nov 22; cited 2013 Nov 13]. Available from: http://www.brpo.gov.pl /sites/ default/files/13541772380.pdf.
- Davis JC, Bryan S, Marra CA, Sharma D, Chan A, Beattie BL, Graf P, Liu-Ambrose T. An economic evaluation of resistance training and aerobic training versus balance and toning exercises in older adults with mild cognitive impairment. PLoS One. 2013 May 14;8(5): e63031.
- Romero-Ortuno R, O'Shea D. Fitness and frailty: opposite ends of a challenging continuum! Will the end of age discrimination make frailty assessments an imperative? Age Ageing. 2013 May; 42(3):279-80.
- Hosseinpoor AR, Bergen N, Chatterji S. Socio-demographic determinants of caregiving in older adults of low- and middle-income countries. Age Ageing. 2013 May;42(3):330-8.
- Jurczak A, Świątek M, Wieder-Huszla S, Grochans E, Szkup-Jabłońska M, Mroczek B. Opinions of selected social groups about senility. Environ Med. 2012;15(2):72-8.
- Błędowski P. Satisfaction of nursing demands of the aged. In Ombudsman. Strategies for action in the ageing society. [Internet].Warsaw: Ombudsman; 2012 Oct [cited 2013 Nov 13]. Available from: http://www.brpo.gov.pl/sites/ default/files/13541772380.pdf.
- Bojanowska E. The elderly in a family and society. [Internet]. Warsaw: Government Population Council; 2012 [updated 2012 Mar 20; cited 2013 Nov 13]. Available from: http://bip.stat.gov.pl/gfx/bip/userfiles/_public/bip/organizacja/poz_sytuacji_ludzi_starszych_2012.pdf
- Klisowska I. Legal protection of health demands of the elderly. [Internet]. Warsaw: Lex; 2012 Feb [updated 2012 Jan 9; cited 2013 Jan 17]. Available from: www.samorzad.lex.pl/czytaj/-/artykul/potrzeby-zdrowotne-osob-starszych-nie-sa-zabezpieczone-w-oddzielny-sposob.
- Lisowska K. It is better to be healthy than ill, however we cannot change demography. geriatric care requires actual actions. [Internet]. Katowice: Rynek Zdrowia; 2012 Nov [updated 2012 Nov 14; cited 2013 Jan 17]. Available from: http://www.rynekzdrowia.pl/ Geriatria/ Lepiej-byc-zdrowym-niz-chorym-ale-demo-grafii-nie-zmienimy-Opieka-geriatryczna-wy-maga-korekt,125266,33.html.
- Kurpas D, Mroczek B, Bielska D. The correlation between quality of life, acceptance of illness and health behaviors of advanced age patients. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2013;56 (3):448-56.
- Wilmowska-Pietruszyńska A, Putz J. Nursing insurance as a proposal of systemic solution of needs of people incapable for independent existence. Post Nauk Med. 2009;22(4):264-7.
- Bień B. Geriatric care in perspective of ageing of the Polish population. [Internet]. Warsaw: Government Population Council; 2012 [updated 2012 Mar 20; cited 2013 Nov 13]. Available from: http://bip.stat.gov.pl/gfx/bip/userfiles/ _public/bip/organizacja/poz_sytuacji_ludzi_starszych_2012.pdf.
- Mroczek B, Kurpas D, Gronowska M, Kotwas A, Karakiewicz B. Psychosexual needs and sexual behaviors of nursing care home residents. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2013;57(1):32-8.
- Arai H, Ouchi Y, Yokode M, Ito H, Uematsu H, Eto F, Oshima S, Ota K, Saito Y, Sasaki H, Tsubota K, Fukuyama H, Honda Y, Iguchi A, Toba K, Hosoi T, Kita T. Toward the realization of a better aged society: messages from gerontology and geriatrics. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2012 Jan; 12(1):16-22.
- Kiyoshi M. Japanese Healthcare-Characteristics, Challenges and Future Prospects. [Internet]. Okayama: Okayama University; 2011 [cited 2013 Nov 12]. Available from: http://www. dajf.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/London_ Final1.pdf.
- Stevenson DG. Planning for the future-long-term care and the 2008 election. N Engl J Med. 2008 May 8;358(19):1985-7.
- Rice JB, Kasper JD, Pezzin LE. A comparative analysis of Medicaid long-term care policies and their effects on elderly dual enrollees. Health Econ. 2009 Mar; 18(3): 275-90.
- Resnick B. Health care reform: what does it mean for older adults? Geriatr Nurs. 2010 Jul-Aug; 31(4):243-5.
- Szczerbińska K. PACE what programme of integrated care of people at advanced age. Zdr Zarz. 2004:6(6):20-7.
- Johansson L, Long H, Parker MG. Informal caregiving for elders in Sweden: an analysis of current policy developments. J Aging Soc Policy. 2011 Oct;23(4):335-53.
- Kruse A. Old age policy and health. Bunde-sgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesun-dheitsschutz. 2006 Jun;49(6):513-22.
- Chalcarz W, Spochacz E. Care and social welfare for the elderly in Germany. Now Lek. 2001:70(9):1037-42.
- Nita M. Nursing insurance in the Federal Republic of Germany. [Internet]. Warsaw: Government Population Council; 2012 [cited 2013 Nov 13]. Available from: http://bip. stat.gov.pl/gfx/bip/userfiles/ _public/bip/ organizacja/ poz_ sytuacji_ludzi_starszych_ 2012.pdf
- Yeh SC, Liu YY. Influence of social support on cognitive function in the elderly. BMC Health Serv Res. 2003 May 30;3(1):9.
Publication order reference