Uzupełenienie ubytków płótna w obrazie dwustronnie malowanym
SUPPLEMENTING OF CANVAS DECREMENTS IN PICTURES PAINTED ON BOTH SIDES
Languages of publication
The author discusses a range of trials carried out with the aim to find a method of supplementing of canvas decrements in picture painted on both sides. A method has been applied initially consisting in glueing-on in decremented places of netting on which both the warp and woof were supplemented. However, this method was found insufficient due to the poor adhesion of netting and it has been decided to supplement the decremented canvas portions by means of the film-producing preparations As the first step trials have been carried out with the polyvinyl alcohol with an addition of glycerine acting as softening agent. Since no satisfactory results have been achieved at first vinyl polyacetals were used for further trials with an addition of the same softening agent, however, no improved results were obtained. Only next series of trials conducted with the use of tricresyl phosphate has led to the result desired. After a series of tests the canvas decrements were supplemented finally by means of 6 per cent “Movital” solution in pure ethanol with 6 per cent addition of tricresyl phosphate as softening agent. The texture of canvas was reconstructed on both sides with the canvas strips used as the backing during the process of film-forming. As the admixtures of organic and mineral pigments showed negative effect on the quality of film a need arose to resign from the reconstruction of canvas colouring in a bulk and the thus prepared films were coated with the oil paints. It deserves to be pointed out that the above-described process is fully reversible.
- A. D r i n b e r g , Technologia substancji blonotworczych, Warszawa 1953.
- M. P u c i a t a , Chorągiew nagrobna Jana Pawia Dzielyszyńskiego, ,.Ochrona Zabytkow”, ЛШ(1954), z. 4, s. 251.
- G. Ba r g , Technologia two r z yw sztucznych, Warszawa 1956.
- R. B i l i ń s k i , Ocena przydatności niektorych tworzyw winylowych do konserwacji zabytkow, „Ochrona Zabytkow”, XIV(1961) z. 3—4, s. 81.
- A. S i em a s z k o i S. P o r e j k o , Kleje naturalne i syntetyczne, Warszawa 1961.
Publication order reference