The Twilight of the China’s Decade? American Problems with Chinese Trade Policy
Languages of publication
The main goal of this article is to present to the European reader the implications of the crisis of the Chinese banking system, which peaked in August 2015, and triggered a period of high volatility in the U.S. stock market. As a result, trade relations between China and the U.S. have deteriorated, which raises the question of whether the Chinese economic system will implode and contribute to the global crisis, or whether it can be controlled by Beijing? The article assumes two things: that subsidies are at the core of U.S. criticism of Chinese trade priorities; and that to understand recent American-Chinese trade conflicts, we must first review the more general issue of American attitudes towards the subsidizing practices of non-market economies. The article will conclude with the observation that, in discussing the obvious points that China needs more market-oriented reforms and should be more open to U.S. trade priorities, we may overlook some other more important problems, such as differences in the business cultures of both countries. So, rather than forcing uncertain compromises, American and Chinese trade experts must develop better problem solving skills and discuss new fields of collaboration.
- Mulloy, Patrick, “China Leveraged the West to Grow Its Economic and Its Comprehensive National Power” in Leveraging: A Political Economic and Societal Framework, (ed. by DAnderson), Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2014, pp. 67-79.
- Ludwikowski, Rett R., Handel Międzynarodowy, 3rd ed. C.H. Beck, Warszawa 2012, pp. 159-162.
- Bremmer, Ian, “The China’ Decade,” Time, 31 August 2015, pp. 40-42.
- Bremmer, Ian, “State Capitalism Comes of Age,” Foreign Affairs, May-June 2009, pp. 55.
- Edwards, Haley S., “Donald Trump, Tariff-Supporting Free Trade,” 15 January 2016, Time.com, Web. January 2016, http://time.com/4181999/donald-trump-tariff-free-trade.
- Estrada, Rogelio, “China Stock Trading Suspended After 7% Drop,” Investment Underground, 10 January, 2016. Web. January 2016. http://investmentunderground.com/2016/01/china-stock-trading-suspended-after-7-drop/
- Scissors, Derek, “Deng Undone,” Foreign Affairs, May-June 2009, pp.39.
- Shaobin, Zhu, “News Analysis: U.S. double remedies in question after WTO report,” 28.03.2014, Xinhua, english.news.cn, Web. December 2015. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/business/2014-03/28/c_126330325.htm.
- Solís, Mireya, “The Containment Fallacy: China and the TPP,” 24.5.2013, The Brookings Institution, Web. January 2016, http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/up-front/ posts/2013/05/24-china-transpacific-partnership-solis.
- “Enforcement and Compliance,” US Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration, Web. January 2016, http://enforcement.trade.gov/download/section129/full- 129-index.html
- “The Future of China – US Relations,” US Department of State, Web. December 2015, http:// www.state.gov/p/eap/rls/rm/2014/06/228415.htm
- “United States – Countervailing and Anti-dumping Measures on Certain Products from China,” WT/DS449/AB/R, World Trade Organization, Web. December 2015, https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/449abr_e.pdf
Publication order reference