A better Completion Agenda: expanding the range of acceptable outcomes in higher education
Languages of publication
The Completion Agenda is part of a larger transformative shift in education, which is moving from a focus on providing instruction to a focus on producing results. This gradual but profound paradigm shift has been underway for multiple decades, and its impact on higher education cannot be understated; as one well-known description of this phenomenon noted, shifting the focus from teaching to learning „changes everything” about how higher education is conducted1. Grounded in the increasingly close relationship between educational attainment and economic success2, this results-oriented approach is driving many of the major efforts for change in U.S. higher education, including the Completion Agenda, performance-based funding, the revived interest in competency-based education, and standardized assessments such as the Collegiate Learning Assessment.
- Are Too Many Students Going to College?, „The Chronicle of Higher Education” 2009, November 8, http://chronicle.com/article/Are-Too-Many-Students-Going-to/49039.
- Barr R.B., Tagg, J., From Teaching to Learning: A New Paradigm for Undergraduate Education, „Change” 1995, Vol. 27, No. 6, http://www.maine.edu/pdf/BarrandTagg.pdf.
- Campbell D.T., Assessing the Impact of Planned Social Change, The Public Affairs Center, Dartmouth College, 1976, https://www.globalhivmeinfo.org/CapacityBuilding/Occasional Papers/08 Assessing the Impact of Planned Social Change.pdf.
- Carnevale A.P., Smith N., Strohl J., Recovery: Projections of Jobs and Education Requirements Through 2020, Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, 2013, https://cew.georgetown.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Recovery2020.FR_.Web_.pdf.
- Ciciora P., Expert: Pervasive 'credential creep' bad for health care practitioners, consumers. News Bureau, Public Affairs, University of Illinois, 2015 http://news.illinois.edu/news/15/0127credential_creep_DavidHyman.html.
- Coleman J., Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital, „American Journal of Sociology” 1988, Vol. 94 (supplement), p. 95-120, http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/228943
- Creating Pathways to Prosperity: A Blueprint to Action. The Pathways to Prosperity Project and The Achievement Gap Initiative at Harvard University, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 2014, http://www.agi.harvard.edu/pathways/CreatingPathwaystoProsperityReport2014.pdf.
- Current Population Survey, Annual Social and Economic Supplement, United States Census Bureau, 2014, http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/education/data/cps/2014/tables.html.
- Dennis M., Developing a Sustainable Student Retention and Success Program, 2012, http://www4.aacrao.org/semsource/sem/indexb965.html?fa=view&id=5428.
- Dougherty K.J., Reddy V., The Impacts of State Performance Funding Systems on Higher Education Institutions: Research Literature Review and Policy Recommendations, CCRC Working Paper No. 37, Community College Research Center, Teachers College, Columbia University, 2011, http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/media/k2/attachments/impacts-state-funding-higher-education.pdf.
- Education at a Glance 2014 OECD Indicators, Centre for Educational Research and Innovation, 2014, http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/education/education-at-a-glance-2014_eag-2014-en.
- Evenbeck S., Johnson K.E., Students Must Not Become Victims of the Completion Agenda, „Liberal Education” 2012, Vol. 98, No. 1, http://www.aacu.org/publications-research/periodicals/students-must-not-become-victims-completion-agenda.
- Fact Sheet - White House Unveils America's College Promise Proposal: Tuition-Free Community College for Responsible Students, The White House, Office of the Press Secretary, 2015, http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/01/09/fact-sheet-white-house-unveils-america-s-college-promise-proposal-tuitio.
- Formation by Design Progress Report 2014-2015, Georgetown University, 2014, https://futures.georgetown.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Formation_Progress_Report_2014E.compressed.pdf.
- Greenstone M., Looney A., Is Starting College and Not Finishing Really That Bad? The Hamilton Project, 2013, http://www.hamiltonproject.org/papers/what_happens_to_students_who_fail_to_complete_a_college_degree_is_some/.
- Grush M., What Can Competency-Based Assessment and Degree Qualification Mean for the National Degree Completion Agenda? A Q&A with Gary Brown, „Campus Technology” 2012, July 8, http://campustechnology.com/Articles/2012/07/18/Competency-Based-Assessment-and-Degree-Qualification.aspx.
- Hanks T., I Owe It All to Community College: Tom Hanks on His Two Years at Chabot College, „New York Times” 2015, January 14, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/14/opinion/tom-hanks-on-his-two-years-at-chabot-college.html.
- Harnisch T., Performance-based funding: A re-emerging strategy in public higher education financing (Higher Education Policy Brief), American Association of State Colleges and Universities, Washington, DC, 2011, http://www.aascu.org/uploadedFiles/AASCU/Content/Root/PolicyAndAdvocacy/PolicyPublications/Performance_Funding_AASCU_June2011.pdf.
- Higher Education for Democracy: A Report of the President's Commission on Higher Education, Vol. 1, Establishing the Goals, President's Commission on Higher Education, New York 1947, pp. 1-3, 5-8, 25-29, 32-39, 47-49. http://courses.education.illinois.edu/eol474/sp98/truman.html.
- Horn W., Milestones and Momentum Points for Analyzing Student Progress, System Office, California Community Colleges, 2008, http://extranet.cccco.edu/Portals/1/TRIS/Research/Research/Abstracts/StrategicPlanning/milestones.pdf.
- Humphreys D., What's Wrong with the Completion Agenda - And What We Can Do About It, „Liberal Education” 2012, Vol. 98, No. 1, http://www.aacu.org/publications-research/periodicals/whats-wrong-completion-agenda%E2%80%94and-what-we-can-do-about-it.
- Idriss M.H., Too crowded to train: the dire state of medical schools in Ethiopia, 2014, http://www.ethiomedia.com/11notes/medical_schools.html.
- Jenkins D., et al., Washington State Student Achievement Initiative Policy Study: Final Report, Community College Research Center and Institute for Higher Education Leadership and Policy, 2012, http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/media/k2/attachments/student-achievement-initiative-final-report.pdf.
- Jongbloed B., Performance-based Funding in Higher Education: an international survey, Center for the Economics of Education and Training, Monash University, Working Paper No. 35, 2001, http://arrow.monash.edu.au/vital/access/manager/Repository/monash:130977.
- Kelly A.P., Schneider M. (eds.), Getting to Graduation: The Completion Agenda in Higher Education, 2012, http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Graduation-Completion-Agenda-Education/dp/1421406225.
- Lederman D., Performance Funding 2.0, Inside Higher Ed, 2008, https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/12/17/perform.
- Leinbach D.T., Jenkins D., Using Longitudinal Data to Increase Community College Student Success: A Guide to Measuring Milestone and Momentum Point Attainment, „CCRC Research Tools” 2008, No. 2, http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/media/k2/attachments/longitudinal-data-momentum-point-research-tool.pdf.
- Lumina Foundation Strategic Plan, 2013 to 2016, Lumina Foundation, 2013, http://www.luminafoundation.org/files/file/2013-lumina-strategic-plan.pdf.
- McPhail C.J., The Completion Agenda: A Call to Action, American Association of Community Colleges, 2011, http://www.aacc.nche.edu/Publications/Reports/Documents/CompletionAgenda_report.pdf.
- Mendenhall R., What Is Competency-Based Education?, „Huffington Post” 2012, September 5, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-robert-mendenhall/competency-based-learning-_b_1855374.html.
- Obama B., Remarks of President Barack Obama - As Prepared for Delivery, Address to Joint Session of Congress, 2009, http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-of-President-Barack-Obama-Address-to-Joint-Session-of-Congress/.
- Owen S., Sawhill I.V., Should Everyone Go To College?, CCF Briefs, Brookings Institution, 2013, http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2013/05/08-should-everyone-go-to-college-owen-sawhill.
- Pearl D.C., Mentoring Social Capital between First-Generation College Students and Student Affairs Practitioners, 2013, http://www.academia.edu/3630753/Mentoring_Social_Capital_between_First-Generation_College_Students_and_Student_Affairs_Practitioners.
- Performance-Based Funding for Higher Education, National Conference for State Legislators, 2015, http://www.ncsl.org/research/education/performance-funding.aspx.
- Petrilli M.J., Kid, I'm Sorry, but You're Just Not College Material, 2014, http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2014/03/college_isn_t_for_everyone_let_s_stop_pretending_it_is.single.html.
- Porter E., The Promise and Failure of Community Colleges, „New York Times” 2015, February 17, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/18/business/economy/the-promise-and-failure-of-community-colleges.html?ref=business&_r=1.
- Postsecondary Success, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, 2009, https://docs.gatesfoundation.org/Documents/postsecondary-education-success-plan-brochure.pdf.
- Russell A., A Guide to Major U.S. College Completion Initiatives, American Association of Colleges and Universities, 2011, http://www.aascu.org/policy/publications/policymatters/2011/collegecompletion.pdf.
- Ruud C., Performance-Based Funding in Higher Education: An Emerging State-Based Approach. Office of Community College Research and Leadership, College of Education at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013, http://occrl.illinois.edu/performance-based-funding-in-higher-education-an-emerging-state-based-approach/.
- Sener J., The Seven Futures of American Education: Improving Learning & Teaching in a Screen-Captured World, CreateSpace, 2012, pp. 165-166.
- Should College Be for Everyone? Room for Debate, „New York Times” 2012, March 1, http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/03/01/should-college-be-for-everyone.
- Student Success and Completion Agenda, 2012-2016, Muskegon Community College, 2013, http://www.muskegoncc.edu/PDFFiles/Student%20Services/Student%20Success%20and%20Completion%20Agenda%20Plan%2010_Jan_2013.pdf.
- Texas Two-year Colleges Briefing for State Policymakers, Texas Association of Community Colleges, 2011, http://www.tacc.org/documents/030711_WhitePaper.pdf.
- The Case for Competency-Based Education: A New Age of Teaching and Learning?, New England Board of Higher Education, 2014, http://www.nebhe.org/events/cbe/.
- The College Completion Agenda State Policy Guide, College Board, 2010, http://www.ncsl.org/documents/educ/policyguide_062810sm.pdf.
- The Completion Agenda - Webinar, Inside Higher Education, 2014. https://www.insidehighered.com/audio/2014/04/09/completion-agenda.
- The Degree Qualifications Profile, Lumina Foundation, 2014, http://www.luminafoundation.org/files/resources/dqp.pdf.
- Werman M., Kelto, A., Ethiopia's Crowded Medical Schools, PRI's The World, 2012, http://www.pri.org/stories/2012-12-20/ethiopias-crowded-medical-schools.
- Will M., Who's Tying Money to College Performance, and How? A Report Breaks It Down, „Chronicle of Higher Education” 2015, February 12, http://chronicle.com/article/Whos-Tying-Money-to-College/189975?cid=megamenu.
- World Development Indicators Database, World Bank, 2014, http://databank.worldbank.org/data/download/GDP.pdf.
- Youth unemployment in Europe: Guaranteed to fail, „The Economist” 2013, July 20, http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21582006-german-led-plans-tackling-youth-unemployment-europe-are-far-too-timid-guaranteed-fail.
Publication order reference