Multi-criteria decision making using fuzzy preference relations
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
When dealing with multi-criteria decision making problems, the concept of Pareto-optimality and Pareto-dominance may be inefficient (e.g. generally multiple solutions exist), especially when there is a large number of criteria. Our paper considers the fuzzy multi-criteria decision making problem based on Zadeh’s linguistic approach to P-optimality and P-dominance. The construction, analysis and application of a model of multi-criteria decision making using a fuzzy preference relation are considered. The paper is dedicated to the problem of modeling preferences in terms of fuzzy binary relations and provides an introduction to the important problem of forming fuzzy preference relations to analyze models of multi-attribute decision making. The key features of the multi-criteria evaluation, comparison, choice and ordering of alternatives in a fuzzy environment using fuzzy preferencerelations have been introduced.
- DE BAETS B., FODOR J.C., Twenty years of fuzzy preference structures, Rivista di Matematica per le Science Economiche e Sociali, 1997, 20 (1), 45–66.
- BAETS B., VAN DE WALLE B., Minimal definitions of classical and fuzzy preference structures, Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society, Syracuse, 1997, 299–304.
- BANERJEE A., Rational choice under fuzzy preferences: the Orlovsky choice function, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 1993, 54 (3), 295–299.
- BERREDO R.C., EKEL P.Y., GALPERIN E.A., SANT’ANNA A.S., Fuzzy preference modeling and its management applications, Proceedings of the International Conference on Industrial Logistics, Montevideo, 2005, 41–50.
- BELLMAN R.E., ZADEH L.A., Decision making in a fuzzy environment, Management of Science, 1970, 17, 141–164.
- BOTTER R.C., EKEL P.Y., Fuzzy preference relation and their naval engineering applications, Proceedings of the 19th Congress of Pan-American Institute of Naval Engineering, Guayaquil, Paper 7–8, 2005.
- BUFARDI A., On a family of connectives for fuzzy sets, Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis, 1998, 7 (3), 169–175.
- BUFARDI A., On the fuzzyfication of the classical definition of preference structure, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 1999, 104 (2), 323–332.
- CANHA L., EKEL P.Y., QUEIROZ J., SCHUFFNER NETO F.H., Models and methods of decision making in fuzzy environment and their applications to power engineering problems, Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications, 2007, 14 (3), 369–390.
- COHRANE J.L., ZELENY M., Multiple Criteria Decision Making, University of South Carolina Press, Columbia, 1973.
- EKEL P.Y., SCHUFFNER NETO F.H., Algorithms of discrete optimization and their application to problems with fuzzy coefficients, Information Science, 2006, 176 (19), 2846–2868.
- EKEL P.Y., MARTINI J.S.C., PALHARES R.M., Multicriteria analysis in decision making under information uncertainty, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 2008, 200 (2), 501–516.
- EKEL P.A., Methods of decision making in fuzzy environment and their applications, Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications, 2001, 47 (5).
- EKEL P.A., Fuzzy sets and models of decision making, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 2002, 44 (7), 863–875.
- FODOR J.C., DE BAETS B., Fuzzy preference modeling: fundamentals and recent advances. Fuzzy Sets and Their Extensions: Representation, Aggregation and Models, Springer, New York, 2008, 207–217.
- FODOR J.C., ROUBENS M., Fuzzy strict preference relation in decision making, Proceedings of the Second IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, San Francisco, 1993, 1145–1149.
- FODOR J.C., ROUBENS M., Fuzzy Preference Modeling and Multicriteria Decision Support, Kluwer, Boston, 1994.
- FODOR J.C, RUDAS I., Two functional equations in fuzzy preference modeling INES ’06, Proceedings of the International Conference on Intelligent Engineering Systems, Cidade, 2006, 17–23.
- FULLER R., CARLSSON C., Fuzzy multiple criteria decision making: Recent developments, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 1996, 78, 139–153.
- HERRERA-VIEDMA E.,, HERRERA F., CHICLANA F., LUQUE M., Some issues on consistency of fuzzy preference relations, European Journal of Operational Research, 2004, 154 (1), 98–109.
- Optimization Models Using Fuzzy Sets and Possibility Theory, J. Kacprzyk, S.A. Orlovsky (Eds.), Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, 1987.
- ORLOVSKY S.A., Decision making with a fuzzy preference relation, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 1978, 1, 155–167.
- ORLOVSKY S.A., Problem of Decision Making with Fuzzy Information, Nauka, Moscow, 1981.
- OVCHINNIKOV S., Structure of fuzzy binary relations, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 1981, 6 (2), 169–195.
- OVCHINNIKOV S., ROUBENS M., On strict preference relations, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 1991, 43 (3), 319–326.
- OVCHINNIKOV S., ROUBENS M., On fuzzy strict preference indifference and incomparability relations, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 1992, 49 (1), 15–20.
- ÖZTURK M., TSOUKIAS A., VINCKE P., Preference modeling, [in:] Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis: State of the Art Surveys, J. Figueira, S. Greco, M. Ehrgott (Eds.), Springer-Verlag, New York, 2005, 265–292.
- ROUBENS M., Some properties of choice functions based on valued binary relations, European Journal of Operational Research, 1989, 40 (3), 309–321.
- SENGUPTA K., Fuzzy preference and Orlovsky choice procedure, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 1998, 93 (2), 231–234.
- TANAKA T., OKUDA T., ASAI K., A Formulation of Decision Problems with Fuzzy Events and Fuzzy Information, Dept. of Industrial Eng., University of Osaka Prefecture, Osaka, 1973.
- VAN DE WALLE B., DE BAETS B., KERRE E.E., Characterizable fuzzy preference structures, Annals of Operations Research, 1998, 80 (0), 105–136.
- ZADEH L.A., Outline of a new approach to the analysis of complex systems and decision process, IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, SMC-3, 1973, 28–44.
- ZADEH L.A., The linguistic approach and its application to decision analysis, [in:] Directions in large-scale systems, Y.C. Ho, S.K. Mitter (Eds.), Plenum Press, New York, 1976.
- ZELENY M., The theory of displaced ideal, [in:] Multiple Criteria Decision Making Kyoto 1975. Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1976, 123, 153–206.
- ZHUKOVIN V.E., The multicriteria decision making with vector fuzzy preference relation [in:] Cybernetics and Systems Research, Elsevier Science Publishers, North–Holland, 1984, 179–181.
- ZIMMERMANN H.J., Optimization in Fuzzy Environments, Institute for Operations Research, Tech. Univ. of Aachen, Aachen, 1974.
Publication order reference