Does Coopetition Strategy Improve Market Performance? An Empirical Study in Mobile Phone Industry
Languages of publication
A central question about coopetition is its impact on performance. Past researches on this question obtained mixed results. No past researches have attempted to evaluate the impact of coopetitive strategies on performance compared with other strategies vis-à-vis competitors: aggressive, cooperative or coexistence strategies. In addition, there have been few studies that attempt to establish a relationship between coopetitive strategy and market performance. In order to fill these gaps, this research studies the impact of coopetitive strategy on market performance, compared to the impact of aggressive, cooperative and coexistence strategies. An empirical study is conducted in the mobile telephony industry. The method is a structured content analysis that identifies the strategic movements of mobile operators from different countries and geographical regions. The results show, first, that only three strategies may be identified in the industry: aggressive, cooperative and coopetitive. The results show, second, that the market performance depends on the strategy adopted toward competitors. A coopetition strategy seems to perform better than either an aggressive or a cooperative strategy. An aggressive strategy is more effective than a cooperative strategy.(original abstract)
- 1.Ahuja G. (2000): The Duality of Collaboration: Introducing and Opportunities in the Formation of Inter-Firm Linkage. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 21, No. 3.
- 2.Baum J.A.C, Dutton J.E. (1996): The Embeddedness of Strategy. In: Eds. J.A.C. Baum, J.E. Dutton: Advances in Strategic Management. Vol. 13, JAI Press, Greenwich.
- 3.Baum J.A.C., Calabrese T., Silverman B.S. (2000): Don't Go it Alone: Alliance Network Composition and Start-ups Performance in Canadian Biotechnology. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 21, No. 3.
- 4.Belderbos R., Caree M., Lokshin B. (2004): Cooperative R&D and Firm Performance. "Research Policy", Vol. 33, No. 10.
- 5.Bengtsson M., Kock S. (1999): Cooperation and Competition in Relationships Between Competitors in Business Networks. "The Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing", Vol. 14, No. 3.
- 6.Bengtsson M., Kock S. (2000): Coopetition in Business Networks: to Cooperate and Compete Simultaneously. "Industrial Marketing Management", Vol. 29, No. 5.
- 7.Bengtsson M., Kock S. (2014): Coopetition - Quo Vadis? Past Accomplishments and Future Challenges. "Industrial Marketing Management", Vol. 43, No. 2.
- 8.Bonacich P., Holdren A.C., Johston M. (2004): Hyper-Edges and Multidimensional Centrality. "Social Networks", Vol. 26.
- 9.Brandenburger A., Nalebuff B. (1996): Co-Opetition. Doubleday, New York.
- 10.Burt R. (1992): Structural Holes: The Social Structure of Competition. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 11.Chen M-J., MacMillan I. (1992): Nonresponse and Delayed Response to Competitive Moves: The Roles of Competitor Dependence and Action Irreversibility. "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 35, No. 3.
- 12.Contractor F.J., Lorange P. (1988): Competition vs. Cooperation: A Benefit/Cost Framework for Choosing Between Fully-Owned Investments and Cooperative Relationships. "Management International Review", Vol. 28, No. 4.
- 13.Czakon W., Fernandez A.S., Mina A. (2014): Editorial - From Paradox to Practice: The Rise of Coopetition Strategies. "International Journal of Business Environment", Vol. 6, No. 1.
- 14.Dyer J.H. (1997): Effective Inter-firm Collaboration: How Firms Mimic Transaction Costs and Minimize Transaction Value. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 18, No. 7.
- 15.Eisenhardt K.M., Schoonhover C.B. (1996): Resource Based View of Strategic Alliance Formation: Strategic and Social Effects of Entrepreneurial Firms. "Organization Science", Vol. 7, No. 2.
- 16.Faust K. (1997): Centrality in Affiliation Networks. "Social Networks", Vol. 19, No. 2.
- 17.Fernandez A-S., Le Roy F., Gnyawali D. (2014): Sources and Management of Tension in Coopetition Case Evidence from Telecommunications Satellites Manufacturing in Europe. "Industrial Marketing Management", Vol. 43, No. 2.
- 18.Ferrier W. (2000): Playing to Win: the Role of Competitive Disruption and Aggressiveness. In: Eds. R.K. Bresser, M.A. Hitt, R.D. Nixon, D. Heuskel: Winning Strategies in a Deconstructing World. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- 19.Ferrier W. (2001): Navigating the Competitive Landscape: The Drivers and Consequences of Competitive Aggressiveness. "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 44, No. 4.
- 20.Ferrier W., Peteraf M.A. (2002): Conversation on the Dynamics Context and Consequences of Strategy: Introduction to the Special Issue. "Managerial and Decision Economics", Vol. 23, No. 5.
- 21.Ferrier W., Smith K.G., Grimm C. (1999): The Role of Competitive Action in Market Share Erosion and Industry Dethronement: A study of Industry Leaders and Challengers. "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 42, No. 4.
- 22.Ferrier W.J., Lee H. (2002): Strategic Aggressiveness, Variation, and Surprise: How the Sequential Pattern of Competitive Rivalry Influences Stock Market Returns. "Journal of Managerial Issues", Vol. 14, No. 2.
- 23.Ferrier W.J., Lyon, D.W. (2004): Competitive Repertoire Simplicity and Firm Performance: The moderating Role of TMT Heterogeneity. "Managerial and Decision Economics", Vol. 25, No. 6-7.
- 24.Ferrier W.J., Mac Fhionnlavich C., Smith K.G., Grimm C. (2002): The Impact of Performance Distress on Aggressive Competitive Behaviour: A Reconciliation of Conflicting Views. "Managerial and Decision Economics", Vol. 23, No. 4-5.
- 25.Fjeldstad Ø.D, Becerra M., Narayanan S. (2004): Strategic Action in Network Industries: An Empirical Analysis of the European Mobile Phone Industry. "Scandinavian Journal of Management", Vol. 20.
- 26.Freeman L.C (1979): Centrality in Social Networks: Conceptual Clarification. "Social Networks", Vol. 1.
- 27.Galaskiewicz J., Zaheer A. (1999): Networks of Competitive Advantage. "Research in the Sociology of Organizations", Vol. 16.
- 28.Ginsberg A. (1988): Measuring and Modelling Changes in Strategy: Theoretical Foundations and Empirical Directions. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 9, No. 6.
- 29.Gnyawali D.R., He J., Madhavan R. (2006): Impact of Coopetition on Firm Competitive Behaviour: An Empirical Examination. "Journal of Management", Vol. 32, No. 4.
- 30.Gnyawali D.R., Madhavan R. (2001): Cooperative Networks and Competitive Dynamics: A Structural Embeddedness Perspective. "Academy of Management Review", Vol. 26, No. 3.
- 31.Granovetter M. (1985): Economic Action and Social Structure: The Problem of Embeddedness. "American Journal of Sociology", Vol. 91, No. 3.
- 32.Grimm C.M., Smith K.J. (1997): Strategy as Action: Industry Rivalry and Coordination. OH South-Western College Publishing, Cincinnati.
- 33.Gulati R. (1995): Social Structure and Alliance Formation Patterns: A Longitudinal Analysis. "Administrative Science Quarterly", Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 619-653.
- 34.Gulati R., Nohria N., Zaheer A. (2000): Strategic Networks. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 21, No. 3.
- 35.Hagedoorn J., Schakenraad J. (1994): The Effect of Strategic Technology Alliances on Company Performance. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 15, No. 4.
- 36.Ibarra H., Andrews S.B. (1993): Power, Social Influence, and Sense Making: Effects of Network Centrality and Proximity on Employee Perceptions. "Administrative Science Quarterly", Vol. 38, No. 2.
- 37.Jarillo J.C. (1988): On Strategic Networks. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 9, No. 1.
- 38.Jauch L.R., Osborn N.R., Martin T.N. (1980): Structured Content Analysis of Cases: A Complementary Method for Organizational Research. "Academy of Management Review", Vol. 5, No. 4.
- 39.Kim J., Parkhe A. (2009): Competing and Cooperating Similarity in Global Strategic Alliances: An Exploratory Examination. "British Journal of Management", Vol. 20, No. 3.
- 40.Lado A.A., Boyd N.G., Hanlon S.G. (1997): Competition, Cooperation and the Search for Economic Rents: A Syncretic Model. "Academy of Management Review", Vol. 22, No. 1.
- 41.Le Roy F., Robert M., Lasch F. (forthcoming): Choosing the Best Partner for Product Innovation: Talking to the Enemy or to a Friend? "International Studies of Management Organisation".
- 42.Luo X, Rindfleisch A., Tse D.K. (2007): Working with Rivals: The Impact of Competitor Alliances on Financial Performance. "Journal of Marketing Research", Vol. 44, No. 1
- 43.Luo Y. (2007): A Coopetition Perspective of Global Competition. "Journal of World Business", Vol. 42, No. 2.
- 44.MacCrimmon, K. (1993): Do Firm Strategies Exist? "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 14, Special Iss.
- 45.Marques P.; Robert F., Le Roy F. (2009): Coopetition Between SMEs: An Empirical Study of French Professional Football. "International Journal of Entrepreneurship & Small Business", Vol. 8, No. 1.
- 46.Miles R.E, Snow C.C. (1992): Causes of Failure in Network Organizations. "California Management Review", Vol. 34, No. 4.
- 47.Miller D., Chen, M-J. (1996): The Simplicity of Competitive Repertoires: An Empirical Analysis. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 17, No. 6.
- 48.Morris M.H., Koçak A., Alper Ö. (2007): Coopetition as a Small Business Strategy: Implications for Performance. "Journal of Small Business Strategy", Vol. 19, No. 1.
- 49.Nalebuff B.J., Brandenburger A.M. (1997): Co-opetition: Competitive and Cooperative Business Strategies for the Digital Economy. "Strategy & Leadership", Vol. 25, No. 6.
- 50.Nayyar P.R., Bantel K. (1994): Competitive Agility: A Source of Competition Advantage based on Speed and Variety. "Advances in Strategic Management", Vol. 10, No. 4.
- 51.Neyens I., Faems D., Sels L. (2010): The Impact of Continuous and Discontinuous Alliance Strategies on Start-up Innovation Performance. "International Journal of Technology Management", Vol. 52, No. 3-4.
- 52.Nieto M. J., Santamarıa L. (2007): The Importance of Diverse Collaborative Networks for the Novelty of Product Innovation. "Technovation", Vol. 27, No. 6-7.
- 53.Nohria N. (1992): Is a Network Perspective a Useful way of Studying Organization? In: Eds. N. Nohria and R. Eccles: Networks and Organizations: Structure, Form and Action. Harvard University Press Boston, MA.
- 54.Offstein E.H., Gnyawalli D.R. (2005): Firm Competitive Behaviour as a determinant of CEO pay: Empirical Evidence from the US pharmaceutical Industry. "Journal of Managerial Psychology", Vol. 20, No. 5.
- 55.Oum T. H., Park J.-H., Kim K., Yu C. (2004): The Effect of Horizontal Alliances on Firm Productivity and Profitability: Evidence from the Global Airline Industry. "Journal of Business Research", Vol. 57, No. 8.
- 56.Peng T-J.A., Pike S., Yang J. C-H., Roos G. (2011): Is Cooperation with Competitors a Good Idea? An Example in Practice. "British Journal of Management", Vol. 23, No. 4.
- 57.Powell W.W. (1990): Neither Market, nor Hierarch: Network Forms. "Annual Series of Analytical Essays and Critical Reviews, Research in Organizational Behaviour", Vol. 12.
- 58.Quintana-Carcias C., Benavieds-Velasco C.A. (2004): Cooperation, Competition and Iinnovative Capability: A Panel Data of European Dedicated Biotechnology Firms. "Technovation", Vol. 24, No. 12.
- 59.Ritala P. (2012): Coopetition Strategy - When is it Successful? Empirical Evidence on Innovation and Market Performance. "British Journal of Management", Vol. 23, No. 3.
- 60.Ritala P., Hallikas J., Sissonen, H. (2008): The Effect of Strategic Alliances between Key Competitors on Firm Performance. "Management Research: The Journal of the Iberoamerican Academy of Management", Vol. 6, No. 3.
- 61.Singh K., Mitchell W. (1996): Precarious Collaboration: Business Survival after Partners Shut Down or Form New Partnerships. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 17, Special Iss.
- 62.Smith K.G., Grimm C.M., Gannon M.J. (1992): Dynamics of Competitive Strategy. Sage, Newsbury Park,
- 63.Smith K.G., Grimm C.M., Gannon M.J., Chen, M-J. (1991): Organizational Information Processing: Competitive Responses and Performance in the U.S. Domestic Airline Industry. "Academy of Management Journal", Vol. 34, No. 1.
- 64.Thorelli H. B. (1986): Networks: Between Markets and Hierarchies. "Strategic Management Journal", Vol. 7, No.1.
- 65.Tomlinson P.R. (2010): Co-Operative Ties and Innovation: Some New Evidence for UK Manufacturing. "Research Policy", Vol. 39, No. 6.
- 66.Yami S., Castaldo S., Dagnino G.B., Le Roy F. (2010): Coopetition: Winning Strategies for the 21st Century. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- 67.Young G., Smith K.G, Grimm C.M. (1996): Austrian and Industrial Organization Perspectives on Firm-Level Competitive Activity and Performance. "Organization Science", Vol. 7, No. 3.
- 68.Zaheer A., Zaheer S. (1997): Catching the Wave: Alterness, Responsiveness, and Market Influence in Global Electronic. "Networks, Management Science", Vol. 43, No. 11
Publication order reference