Britain in Transition: Diversity, Therapy Culture and the Legacy of New Labour
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
The core of the article is constituted around three topics: diversity, culture and the legacy of new labour. The author proposes to look at the British sociopolitical arena with particular focus on actions taken by the main actors of the political stage, operating in a multicultural “scenography”. Cultural diversity – for long inscribed in the British context – provides reflection on how to interpret the phenomena present in the collective and individual life (society and the individual). Patterns of interpretation delivered by the media, disclose specific paradigms of social, political and economic phenomena which influence every member of modern society.
- ‘Martin Amis Attacks Royal Family as “Philistines”,’ Daily Telegraph, 18 April 2011, at <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8456652/Martin-Amis-attacks-Royal-familyas-philistines.html>. 18 April 2011.
- G. Robson, ‘Fear, Fragmentation and Vulnerability in Contemporary Britain’ in W. Kalaga (ed.),Civilisation and Fear. Writing and the Subjects of Ideology, Katowice (forthcoming).
- G. Robson, ‘Whatever Happened to the British Stiff Upper Lip? The Cultural Revolution, the “BrokenBritain” Debate and the Evaporation of Respectable Society’ in M. Misztal, M. Trawiński (eds.),Current Issues in English Studies, Kraków 2009
- N. Watt, ‘David Cameron Says That Immigrants Should Learn English,’ The Guardian, 14 April2011, at <http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/apr/14/david-cameron-immigrants-learn-english>,14 April 2011
- ‘“I’m Not a Punchbag,” Says Deputy PM Nick Clegg,’ BBC News, 6 April 2011, at <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12987846>, 6 April 2011.
- K. Ecclestone, D. Hayes, The Dangerous Rise of Therapeutic Education, London-New York 2008.
- R. Sennett, The Corrosion of Character. The Personal Consequences of Work in the New Capitalism,New York 1998, p. 97.
- Z. Bauman, Liquid Times. Living in an Age of Uncertainty, Cambridge 2007, p. 9.
- A. Stratton, ‘David Cameron Aims to Make Happiness the New GDP,’ The Guardian, 14 November2010, at <http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/nov/14/david-cameron-wellbeing-inquiry>,14 November 2010.
- P. Rieff, The Triumph of the Therapeutic. Uses of Faith after Freud, New York 1966; Ch. Lasch, TheCulture of Narcissism. American Life in an Age of Diminishing Expectations, New York 1978.
- R. Sennett, Respect. The Formation of Character in an Age of Inequality, London 2003.
- F. Furedi, Therapy Culture. Cultivating Vulnerability in an Uncertain Age, London-New York2004.
- K. Ecclestone, ‘Resisting Images of the “Diminished Self ” in Education Policy and Practice forEmotional Well-Being’ in R. House, D. Loewenthal (eds.), Childhood, Well-Being and a TherapeuticEthos, London 2009.
- F. Furedi, ‘Cameron’s Happiness Index. Counting Smiley Faces,’ Spiked online, 16 November 2010,at <http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/9895/>, 16 November 2011.
- A. Giddens, Over to You, Mr. Brown. How Labour Can Win Again, Cambridge-Malden 2007; idem,The Third Way. The Renewal of Social Democracy, Cambridge 1998.
- U. Beck, A. Giddens, S. Lash, Reflexive Modernization. Politics, Tradition and Aesthetics in theModern Social Order, Cambridge 1994.
- A. Giddens, The Transformation of Intimacy. Sexuality, Love and Eroticism in Modern Societies,Cambridge 1995, p. 81.
- F. Furedi, ‘What Swine Flu Reveals about the Culture of Fear,’ Spiked online, 5 May 2009, at<http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/6633/>, 5 May 2009.
- K. Ecclestone, ‘Lifelong Learning: Education or Therapy?,’ Spiked online, 28 January 2003, at<http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/6795/>, 5 May 2009.
- M. Marrin, ‘Labour’s Secret Scheme to Build Multicultural Britain,’ The Times, 1 November 2009,at <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/minette_marrin/article6898174.ece>,1 November 2009.
- S. Hall, ‘New Labour Has Picked Up Where Thatcherism Left Off,’ The Guardian, 6 March 2003,at <http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2003/aug/06/society.labour>, 1 November 2009
- G. Menz,‘Employers, Trade Unions and Labor Migration Policies. Examining the Role of Non-State Actors,’paper presented to the European Unions Studies Association Tenth Biennial Conference, Montreal2007.
- M. Castells, The Information Age. Economy, Society and Culture, Vol. 3: End of Millennium,Cambridge (Mass.)-Oxford 1997
- R. Ford, ‘Britain Is a Soft Touch for People Smuggling, SayTraffickers,’ The Times, 14 July 2009, at <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6702471.ece>, 14 July 2009
- S. Moxon, The Great Immigration Scandal, Exeter 2006.
- British Social Attitudes 26th Report, NatCen, London 2010
- ‘YouGov – Public Becoming More Hostile towards Islam,’ UK Polling Report, 25 August 2006, at<http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/302>, 1 December 2010.
- <http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=260>, 30 January 2009.
- <http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/emig1107.pdf>, 30 January 2009.
- ‘Britain Will Be Europe’s Biggest Country by 2060 with 77 Million People,’ Daily Telegraph, 26August 2008, at <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2626859/Britain-will-be-Europesbiggest-country-by-2060-with-77mpeople.html>, 30 January 2009
- 'Muslim Population “Rising 10 Times Faster than the Rest of Society”,’ The Times, 30 January2009, at <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5621482.ece>, 30 January 2009
- R. Putnam, ‘E Pluribus Unum. Diversity and Community in the Twenty-first Century – The 2006Johan Skytte Prize Lecture’, Scandinavian Political Studies, Vol. 30, No. 2 (2007).
- B. Lancee, J. Dronkers, ‘Ethnic Diversity in Neighbourhoods and Individual Trust of Immigrantsand Natives. A Replication of Putnam (2007) in a West-European Country,’ paper presented at theInternational Conference on Theoretical Perspectives on Social Cohesion and Social Capital, RoyalFlemish Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts, Brussels, Palace of the Academy, 15 May2008.
- J. Leo, ‘Bowling With Our Own. Robert Putnam’s Sobering New Diversity Research Scares itsAuthor,’ City Journal, 25 June 2007, at <http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon2007-06-25jl.html>, 25 June 2007
- M. Easton, ‘Map of the Week. Trust and Belonging,’ BBC News, 2009, at <http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2009/01/map_of_the_week_trust_and_belo.html>, 1 December2010.
- ‘Fear of Crime Makes Britain Most Watched Country in Europe,’ The Independent, 26 April 2004,at <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/fear-of-crime-makes-uk-most-watchedcountry-in-europe-561265.html>, 1 December 2010.
- J. Margo, M. Dixon, Freedom’s Orphans. Raising Youth in a Changing World, London 2006.
- ‘Broken Britain?,’ The Times, 9 February 2010, at <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article7019841.ece>, 9 February 2010.
- M. Wardrop, ‘Britons Becoming “Increasingly Miserable,” Warns Action for Happiness Campaign,’Daily Telegraph, 18 April 2011, at <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/8445786/Britonsbecoming-increasingly-miserable-warns-Action-for-Happiness-campaign.html>, 18 April 2011.
Publication order reference