Markers of endothelial dysfunction in young non-overweight women - effect of serum lipids, body measures and nutrition
Languages of publication
Purpose: Since endothelial dysfunction can develop early in the adulthood, the purpose of the study was to determine how serum lipids, body measures and dietary habits affect serum markers of vascular activation in young women. Materials and methods: Twenty five healthy women, aged 19-22 years, were enrolled in the study. Serum lipids profile (total cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol, triglycerides) was assayed with laboratory test kits. Concentrations of sICAM-1, sVCAM-1 and E-selectin were determined with the ELISA technique. Anthropometric measurements were taken including skinfold thickness and waist circumference. Food consumption data were collected using 3 repeats of 24-hour dietary recalls. Dietary habits of the women were assessed with a 9-point alternate Mediterranean Diet score (a-MED). Results: Sixty eight percent of the subjects had their HDL-cholesterol levels below the desirable concentration, 20% had LDL-cholesterol elevated, and 32% demonstrated increased total triacylglycerols (TAG). The levels of serum TAG >199 mg/dL were associated with a significant rise in the VCAM-1 concentration. Dietary wholegrain products seem to reduce the serum E-selectin. Conclusions: The results suggest that young women of normal body mass, but demonstrating increased levels of serum TAG, may be at risk of developing endothelial dysfunction. An implementation of the wholegrain products consumption into their dietary practices would possibly be of health benefit.
- Szmitko PE, Wang CH, Weisel RD, de Almeida JR, Anderson TJ, Verma S. New markers of inflammation and endothelial cell activation. Part I. Circulation. 2003 Oct 21; 108(16):1917-23.
- Witkowska AM. Soluble ICAM-1: A marker of vascular inflammation and lifestyle. Cytokine. 2005 Jul 21; 31(2):127-34.
- Iademarco MF, Barks JL, Dean DC. Regulation of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 expression by IL-4 and TNF-α in cultured endothelial cells. J Clin Invest. 1995 Jan; 95(1):264-71.
- Cook-Mills JM, Marchese ME, Abdala-Valencia H. Vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 expression and signaling during disease: regulation by reactive oxygen species and antioxidants. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011 Sep 15; 15(6):1607-38.
- Rothlein R, Kishimoto TK, Mainolfi E. Cross-linking of ICAM-1 induces co-signaling of an oxidative burst from mononuclear leukocytes. J Immunol. 1994 Mar 1; 152(5):2488-95.
- Pacheco YM, López S, Bermúdez B, Abia R, Villar J, Muriana FJ. A meal rich in oleic acid beneficially modulates postprandial sICAM-1 and sVCAM-1 in normotensive and hypertensive hypertriglyceridemic subjects. J Nutr Biochem. 2008 Mar; 19(3):200-5.
- Oren A, Vos LE, Uiterwaal CS, Grobbee DE, Bots ML. Cardiovascular risk factors and increased carotid intima-media thickness in healthy young adults: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Young Adults (ARYA) Study. Arch Intern Med. 2003 Aug 11-25; 163(15):1787-92.
- Vos LE, Oren A, Uiterwaal C, Gorissen WH, Grobbee DE, Bots ML. Adolescent blood pressure and blood pressure tracking into young adulthood are related to subclinical atherosclerosis: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Young Adults (ARYA) study. Am J Hypertens. 2003 Jul;16(7): 549-55.
- Warnick GR, Knopp RH, Fitzpatrick V, Branson L. Estimating low-density lipoprotein cholesterol by the Friedewald equation is adequate for classifying patients on the basis of nationally recommended cutpoints. Clin Chem. 1990 Jan;36(1):15-9.
- Ketel IJ, Volman MN, Seidell JC, Stehouwer CD, Twisk JW, Lambalk CB. Superiority of skinfold measurements and waist over waist-to-hip ratio for determination of body fat distribution in a population-based cohort of Caucasian Dutch adults. Eur J Endocrinol. 2007 Jun; 156(6): 655-61.
- Fung TT, McCullough ML, Newby PK, Manson JE, Meigs JB, Rifai N, Willett WC, Hu FB. Diet-quality scores and plasma concentrations of markers of inflammation and endothelial dysfunction. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Jul;82(1):163-73.
- Trichopoulou A, Costacou T, Bamia C, Trichopoulos D. Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. N Engl J Med. 2003 Jun 26; 348(26):2599-608.
- World Health Organization: Obesity preventing and managing the global epidemic. In: Report of a WHO consultation on Obesity. WHO Technical Report Series No. 894. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2000. p. 252.
- National Institutes of Health; National Heart Lung, and Blood Institute: National Cholesterol Education Program: Third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III): Final Report. Bethesda: National Institutes of Health; 2001. p. 27.
- Petrowski K, Berth H, Paul S, Grande G, Stöbel-Richter Y, Brähler E. Standard values and relationship-specific validity of the Bielefeld Relationship Expectations Questionnaire (BFPE). BMC Med Res Methodol. 2010 Oct 13;10:92.
- Derosa G, Ferrari I, D'Angelo A, Salvadeo SA, Fogari E, Gravina A, Mereu R, Palumbo I, Maffioli P, Randazzo S, Cicero AF. Oral fat load effects on inflammation and endothelial stress markers in healthy subjects. Heart Vessels. 2009 May; 24(3):204-10.
- Wang YI, Schulze J, Raymond N, Tomita T, Tam K, Simon SI, Passerini AG. Endothelial inflammation correlates with subject triglycerides and waist size after a high-fat meal. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011 Mar; 300(3):H784-91.
- Spolidoro JV, Pitrez Filho ML, Vargas LT, Santana JC, Pitrez E, Hauschild JA, Bruscato NM, Moriguchi EH, Medeiros AK, Piva JP. Waist circumference in children and adolescents correlate with metabolic syndrome and fat deposits in young adults. Clin Nutr. 2013 Feb;32(1):93-7.
- von Eyben FE, Mouritsen E, Holm J, Montvilas P, Dimcevski G, Suciu G, Helleberg I, Kristensen L, von Eyben R. Intra-abdominal obesity and metabolic risk factors: a study of young adults. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003 Aug; 27(8):941-9.
- Fargnoli JL, Fung TT, Olenczuk DM, Chamberland JP, Hu FB, Mantzoros CS. Adherence to healthy eating patterns is associated with higher circulating total and high-molecular-weight adiponectin and lower resistin concentrations in women from the Nurses' Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Nov;88(5):1213-24.
- de Mello VD, Schwab U, Kolehmainen M, Koenig W, Siloaho M, Poutanen K, Mykkänen H, Uusitupa M. A diet high in fatty fish, bilberries and wholegrain products improves markers of endothelial function and inflammation in individuals with impaired glucose metabolism in a randomised controlled trial: the Sysdimet study. Diabetologia. 2011 Nov; 54(11): 2755-67.
- Bellido C, López-Miranda J, Pérez-Martínez P, Paz E, Marín C, Gómez P, Moreno JA, Moreno R, Pérez-Jiménez F. The Mediterranean and CHO diets decrease VCAM-1 and E-selectin expression induced by modified low-density lipoprotein in HUVECs. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2006 Dec; 16(8):524-30.
Publication order reference