Operational Excellence in Manufacturing, Service and the Oil & Gas: the Sectorial Definitional Constructs and Risk Management Implication
Languages of publication
The current global business climate has not been favorable to most firms irrespective of industry affiliation. That condition necessitated companies to adopt operational excellence as a strategy for optimising output with little resources, reducing lead time with the efficient use of assets and employees and avoiding safety and health issues to people and the environment. As a result of the need for operational excellence, many kinds of literature defined the concept based on the context of industry or sector. Industries such as manufacturing, services, oil and gas, mining and so many industries to mention a few, have their unique construct in the definition and therefore causing dilemma on which dimension to hold on to. It is against this backdrop that this paper synthesizes and integrate all the varying dimensions and fuses out similarities, differences and the antecedence of research directions taken on the few mentioned sectors. The paper thus concludes that the unique construct among all the definitions is continuous improvement, cost reduction, quality, time utilization, operational efficiency, staff involvement and output optimisation. However, they varied on risk management, staff health, safety and the concern for the environment, which is unique to oil and gas industry and that can affect the choice of research variables.
- 360 Factors (n. d.). An Integrated Approach to Managing Enterprise Risk through a Single Platform. Retrieved from http://www.360factors.com/pdf/Oil-Gas-Operational-Excellence-Risk-and-Compliance-for-Oil-Gas-Companies.pdf
- Allen-Bradley & Rockwell Software. (2015). Operational Excellence in the Oil and Gas Industry. Retrieved from http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/oag-ap027_-en-e.pdf
- Chetiya, A., R., & Sharma, S. (2014, January 7–9). An Analysis of Predictor Variables for Operational Excellence through Six Sigma. In Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Bali, Indonesia (pp. 7150–1757). Retrieved from http://ieomsociety.org/ieom2014/pdfs/389.pdf
- Chevron Corporation. (2010). Operational Excellence Management System: an Overview of the OEMS. Retrieved from https://www.chevron.com/-/media/shared-media/documents/OEMS_Overview.pdf
- Deflorin, P., & Scherrer-Rathje, M. (2011). Challenges in the transformation to lean production from different manufacturing-process choices: a path-dependent perspective. International Journal of Production Research, 50(14), 3956–3973. doi: 10.1080/00207543.2011.613862
- Deloitte. (2015). Making an Impact that Matters. 2015 Global Report. Retrieved from https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/About-Deloitte/gx-gr15-main-final.pdf
- Duggan, K. J. (2012). Design for Operational Excellence: A Breakthrough Strategy for Business Growth. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Edgeman, R. (2014). Modeling & Analytics of Sustainable, Resilient and Robust Enterprises. Business System Review, 3(2), 75–99.
- Edgeman, R., & Eskildsen, J. (2014). Modeling and Assessing Sustainable Enterprise Excellence. Business Strategy and the Environment, 23(3), 173–187. doi: 10.1002/bse.1779
- EY. (2015). Driving Operational Performance in the Oil and Gas. Retrieved from http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/ey-driving-operational-performance-in-oil-and-gas/$FILE/ey-driving-operational-performance-in-oil-and-gas.pdf
- Feblowitz, J. (2015, July). Downstream Oil and Gas; Achieving Excellence by Integrating Operations. Retrieved from http://www.wipro.com/documents/downstream-oil-and-gas-achieving-excellence-by-integrating-operations.pdf
- Fork-Yew, O., & Ahmad, H. (2014). The Effect of Change Management on Operational Excellence in Electrical and Electronics Industry: Evidence from Malaysia. British Journal of Economics, Management & Trade, 4(8), 1285–1305. doi: 10.9734/BJEMT/2014/9201
- Franke, A., & Weber, V. (2017). National oil companies need to up their game. To compete with the majors, NOCs must improve their enterprise risk management. Energy Journal, 3, 1–4. Retrieved from http://www.oliverwyman.com/content/dam/oliver-wyman/v2/publications/2017/may/National_Oil_Companies_Need_To_Up_Their_Game.pdf
- Gulati, R., Nohria, N., Wohlgezogen, F. (2010, March). Roaring Out of Recession. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2010/03/roaring-out-of-recession
- Heath, B., Peterson, R., Marcontell, D., & Scott, S. (2017). What Oil and Gas can Learn from Aviation. A New Cyclical Reality Makes Energy Companies Rethink Operation. Energy Journal, 3, 2–4. Retrieved from http://www.oliverwyman.com/content/dam/oliver-wyman/v2/publications/2017/may/What_Oil_And_Gas_Can_Learn_From_Aviation.pdf
- Hines, P., Holweg, M., & Rich, N. (2004). Learning to evolve: A review of contemporary lean thinking. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 24(10), 994–1011. doi: 10.1108/01443570410558049
- Jaeger, A., Matyas, K., & Sihn, W. (2014). Development of an assessment framework for Operations Excellence (OsE), based on the paradigm change in Operational Excellence (OE). Procedia CIRP, 17, 487–492. doi: 10.1016/j.procir.2014.01.062
- Kandasamy, S. (2016). Enhancing Customer Value: The Principles of Value Addition. The International Journal of Business & Management, 4(1), 198–203.
- Krajewski, L. J., Malhotra, M. K., & Ritzman, L. P. (2013). Operations Management: Process and Supply Chains (10th ed.). Boston: Pearson.
- Li, S., Nadeem, M. (2010). Risk Management and Internal Control. A Case Study Of China Aviation Oil Corporation Ltd. (Master’s thesis). Retrieved from http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:323261/fulltext01
- LNS Research. (2016, April). Why APM Is Critical to Operational Excellence in the Oil & Gas Industries. Retrieved from https://www.ge.com/digital/sites/default/files/Why-APM-Is-Critical-to-OpEx-in-Oil-Gas-Industries.pdf
- Lukianchuk, G. (2015). The Impact of Enterprise Risk Management on Firm Performance of Small and Medium Enterprises. European Scientific Journal, 11(13), 408–427.
- McCreery, J., Phillips, E., & Cigala, F. (2013, February 25). Operational Excellence: The Imperative for Oil and Gas Companies. Retrieved from http://www.bain.com/publications/articles/operational-excellence-the-imperative-for-oil-and-gas-companies.aspx
- McKinsey&Company. (2011). Lean Management. New Frontiers for Financial Institutions. Retrieved from http://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/mckinsey/dotcom/client_service/financial%20services/latest%20thinking/reports/lean_management_new_frontiers_for_financial_institutions.ashx
- Operations Excellence Services. (2016). What is operations excellence? Retrieved September 2, 2017, from http://opexsvs.com/about/what-is-operations-excellence
- Quality and Environmental Health and Safety. (2017). The QEHS Guide to Operational Excellence. Retrieved from http://www.oncallcopywriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/QEHS_Guide-final-1.pdf
- Russell, R., H., & Koch, J. I. (2009). Operational Excellence. The New Lever for Profitability and Competitive Advantage. Retrieved from http://www.plantservices.com/assets/wp_downloads/pdf/100131_SAP.pdf
- Sharma S., & Chetiya A. R. (2010). Six Sigma Project Selection: an analysis of Responsible Factors. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma, 1(4), 280–292. doi: 10.1108/20401461011096069
- Shehadeh, R. M., Maqableh, M., Al-Zoubi, M. O., Akhorshaideh, A. O., & Al-Shami, M. K. (2016). Review the Operational Excellence Factors of Service Firms: A Literature Review. European Journal of Business and Management, 8(3), 1–11.
- Shehadeh, R., Al-Zu’bi, Z. M. F., Abdallah, A. B. & Maqableh, M. (2016). Investigating Critical Factors Affecting the Operational Excellence of Service Firms in Jordan. Journal of Management Research, 8(1), 18–49. doi: 10.5296/jmr.v8i1.8680
- Stanton, T. H. (2012). Why Some Firms Thrive While Others Fail: Governance and Management Lessons from the Crisis. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Sutton, D. (2012). Back to basics: A practitioner's guide to operations excellence. Cincinnati: Operations Excellence Services.
- Tanco, M., Santos, J., Rodríguez, J., L. and Reich, J. (2013, December 4). Lean toolbox for seasonal process industries: A nougat fabrication case study. Annals of Industrial Engineering 2012, 263–272. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4471-5349-8_31
- Tasmin, R., Woods, P. (2007). Relationship between corporate knowledge management and the firm’s innovation capability. International Journal of Services Technology and Management, 8(1), 62–79. doi: 10.1504/IJSTM.2007.012219
- The Economist. (2008, May). Operational Excellence: Enabling sustained growth. Spotlight on the Americas. Retrieved from http://www.plantservices.com/assets/wp_downloads/pdf/090804_SAP.pdf
- Van Assen, M. F. (2011). Operational Excellence. Retrieved August 10, 2017, from http://www.vanassen.info/opx/
- Van Assen, M. F. (2012). Lean leiderschap is uit? Retrieved 25 August, 2017, from http://www.vanassen.info/lean-leiderschap-is-uit/
Publication order reference