Znaczne wystawy gospodarcze w Grudziądzu w okresie pruskim
Die bedeutende Wirtschaftsausstellungen in Graudenz während der preussischen Zeiten
Major economic exhibitions in Grudziądz during the Prussian period
Languages of publication
In the second half of the 19th c., Grudziądz was substantially transformed in terms of trade and industry; as a result, the city developed at a very fast pace. The emerging industrial plants quickly caused an increase in the activity of the municipality and entrepreneurs regarding the organisation of economic exhibitions, very popular at that time. The first such an exhibition in Grudziądz was organized in 1872 at the territory of Schulz’s sawmill and brickyard at modern Chełmińska Street. The second one (1885) and the third – and last – one (1896) were organized in Tivoli restaurant and the adjoining territory at modern Legionów Street. The exhibitors from West Prussia and from all over Germany attended the exhibitions to present their products, as the events were a great opportunity to present industrial and craft products as well as technological innovations, awarded by the juries with medals and diploms. The last of the organized exhibitions in 1896 brought a large deficit, which caused the withdrawal of the municipality and local entrepreneurs from the organization of further major exhibitions. The evidence of the splendor of Grudziądz at that time is the tram line existing to this day, specially built for the needs of the industrial exhibition in 1896.
Publication order reference