Company Behavior in the Internationalization Process and Its Performance
Languages of publication
The aim of the paper is to determine the role of different types of company's behavior in the internationalization process, identified from the perspective of a network approach, for corporate performance. In order to describe the company's behaviour in the internationalization process a set of criteria has been proposed. These are: formalization of the internationalization process, openness to cooperation in the internationalization process and activeness in creating network of relations in the internationalization process. Taking into consideration the proposed criteria, the analysis of business practice enabled to identify four possible types of company's behaviour in the internationalization process: type A - Active, type B - Submissive, type C - Independent and type D - Distrustful realist. The assessment of corporate performance of the four types of company's behavior has been performed. Additionally, the dynamic approach to the typology of company's behavior in the internationalization process has been proposed. The conclusions presented in the paper are the outcome of long-term studies of behavioral aspects of company's internationalization process, performed within two research projects carried out in years 2006-2008 and 2010-2012.
- Blankenburg D. (1995): A Network Approach to Foreign Market Entry. In: Business Marketing: an Interaction and Network Perspective. Ed. by K. Möller, D.T. Wilson. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell.
- Fonfara K. (2007): Zachowania przedsiębiorstw w procesie internacjonalizacji - próba poszukiwania teorii marketingu międzynarodowego. "Marketing i Rynek", nr 1.
- Fonfara K. (ed.) (2012): The Development of Business Networks in the Company Internationalization Process. Poznań University of Economics Press, Poznań.
- Hadjikhani A., Johanson M. (2002): The Fifth Dimension - Expectation in the Internationalization Process Model. In: Critical Perspectives on Internationalization. Ed. by M. Fosgren, V. Havila, H. Hakansson. Elsevier Science, Oxford.
- Håkansson H., Snehota I. (1989): No Business Is an Island: The Network Concept of Business Strategy. "Scandinavian Journal of Management", Vol. 5, No. 3.
- Hooley G., Piercy N.F., Nicouland B. (2008): Marketing Strategy and Competitive Positioning. 4th edition, Prentice Hall, Harlow.
- Johanson J., Mattsson L.G. (1988): Interorganizational Relations in Industrial Systems. A Network Approach Compared with the Transaction - Cost Approach. "International Studies of Management and Organization", Vol. 17, No 1.
- Johanson J., Vahlne J.E. (1977): The Internationalization Process of the Firm - A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments. "Journal of International Business Studies", Vol. 8, No. 1.
- Kotler Ph., Keller K.L (2012), Marketing. Dom Wydawniczy Rebis, Poznań.
- Berghe Van den D.A.F. (2003): Working across Borders: Multinational Enterprises and the Internationalization of Employment. Rotterdam Erasmus Research Institute of Management, Rotterdam.
- Whitelock J. (2002): Theories of Internationalization and Their Impact on Market Entry. "International Marketing Review", Vol. 19, No. 4.
Publication order reference