Hispanics in the American political theatre – leading or supporting actors?
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
This article presents the impact of Latinos’ on American politics. Hispanic community living in the United States has become an important part of its society. Numbers describing Latinos are impressive as well as alarming. Data released by the U.S. Census shows a constant growth of Spanish‑speaking population in the USA. Because of these numbers, questions asked about the political power of Hispanics seem legitimate. However, Latinos do not fully use their electoral power. Their voter turnout is, among other issues, the main reason of their limited political influence. On the other hand, Hispanic activists are trying to show members of different Latino subgroups that their future in America depends on their political participation. The following article discusses these issues and shows the long way that Latinos have to go to become a real political power in the United States.
- ‘2011 Directory of Latino Elected Officials’, NALEO Educational Fund, at <http://www.naleo.org/directory.html>.
- Abrajano M., Alvarez M.R., New Faces, New Voices. The Hispanic Electorate in America, Princeton 2010.
- Babington Ch., ‘GOP Rebellion Stops Voting Rights Act’, The Washington Post, 22 June 2006, at <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp‑dyn/content/article/2006/06/21/AR2006062101910.html>.
- Barreto M., Segura G., Latino America. How America’s Most Dynamic Population is Poised to Transform the Politics of the Nation, New York 2014.
- ‘Both Parties Must Act on Immigration, or Pay Price With Latino Voters’. The Huffington Post Blog Latino Voices, 7 January 2015, at <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nclr‑action‑fund/both‑parties‑must‑act‑on_b_6121868.html>.
- Camarillo A.M., Bonilla F., ‘Hispanics in a Multicultural Society: A New American Dilemma?’ in N.J. Smelser W.J. Wilson, F. Mitchell (eds.), America Becoming. Racial Trends and Their Consequences, Vol. 1, Washington 2001.
- Chacón J.M., ‘The Security Myth. Punishing Immigrants in the Name of National Security’ in A. Chebel d’Appollonia, S. Reich (eds.), Immigration, Integration, and Security. America and Europe in Comparative Perspective, Pittsburgh 2008 (Security Continuum).
- Chebel d’Appollonia A., Frontiers of Fear. Immigration and Insecurity in the united States and Europe, Ithaca 2012.
- Cillizza Ch., ‘The Republican Problem with Hispanic Voters’, The Washington Post, 18 March 2013, at <http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the‑fix/wp/2013/03/18/the‑republican‑problem‑with‑hispanic‑voters‑in‑7‑charts/>.
- Cohn N., ‘Hispanic Voters Are Important for Republicans but Not Indispensable’, The New York Times, 20 November 2014, at <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/21/upshot/hispanic‑voters‑are‑important‑for‑republicans‑but‑not‑indispensable.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0>.
- Davenport J., The U.S.‑Mexico Border: The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, Philadelphia 2004 (Arbitrary Borders).
- DeSipio L., ‘Latino Civic and Political Participation’ in M. Tienda, F. Mitchell (eds.), Hispanics and the Future of America, Washington 2006.
- El Nasser H., ‘Census Rethinks Hispanic on Questionnaire’, USA Today, 3 January 2013, at <http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/03/hispanics‑may‑be‑added‑to‑census‑race‑category/1808087/>.
- Ennis S.R., Rios‑Vargas M., Albert N.G., The Hispanic Population: 2010, U.S. Census Bureau, May 2011, at <http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br‑04. pdf>.
- Farnam J., US Immigration Laws under the Threat of Terrorism, New York 2005.
- Gibson C., Jung K., Historical Census Statistics on the Foreign‑Born Population of the United States: 1850 to 2000, U.S. Census Bureau, Washington 2006 (Population Division Working Paper, No. 81), at <http://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0081/twps0081.pdf>.
- Gimpel J.G., Latino Voting in the 2008 Election: Part of a Broader Electoral Movement, Center for Immigration Studies, January 2009, at <http://www.cis.org/sites/cis.org/files/articles/2009/back109.pdf>.
- Givens T., Freeman G.P., Leal D.L. (eds.), Immigration Policy and Security. U.S., European and Commonwealth Perspectives, New York 2008.
- Godfrey B.J., ‘Barrio under Siege. Latino Sense of Place in San Francisco, California’ in D. Arreola (ed.), Hispanic Spaces, Latino Places. Community and Cultural Diversity in Contemporary America, Austin 2004.
- Gold M., ‘With DNC Post, Top Latino Fundraiser Gets “Seat at the Table”’, Los Angeles Times, 25 January 2013, at <http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/25/news/la‑pn‑dnc‑post‑top‑latino‑fundraiser‑20130124>.
- Gonzales M.G., Mexicanos. A History of Mexicans in the United States, Bloomington 2009.
- Gonzalez A., ‘The Good News: “Off Year Cycle” Latino Registration and Voting Surged During 2006‑10’, The William C. Velásquez Institute, 7 March 2012, at <http://wcvi.org/press_room/press_releases/2012/120308_release.pdf>.
- Green D.P., Gerber A.S., Get Out the Vote! How to Increase Voter Turnout, Washington 2008.
- Grieco E.M. et al., The Foreign‑Born Population in the United States: 2010. American Community Survey Reports, U.S. Census Bureau, May 2012, at <http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/acs‑19.pdf>.
- Inda J.X., Targeting Immigrants. Government, Technology and Ethics, Oxford 2008.
- Joy M.S., American Expansionism, 1783‑1860. A Manifest Destiny?, London 2014 (Seminar Studies in History).
- Laney G.P., The Voting Rights Act of 1965. Historical Background and Current Issues, New York 2003.
- LeMay M.C., ‘An Overview of Immigration to the United States, 1945‑2010’in idem (ed.), Transforming America. Perspectives on U.S. Immigration, Vol. 3, Santa Barbara 2012.
- Lilley S., ‘“Latino America’s” Matt Baretto: Politicos are Missing the Boat’, NBC News, 27 September2014, at <http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/latino‑americas‑matt‑barreto‑politicos‑are‑missing‑boat‑n212476>.
- Lopez M.H., Gonzalez‑Barrera A., Motel S., As Deportations Rise to Record Levels, Most Latinos Oppose Obama’s Policy, The Pew Hispanic Center, 28 December 2011, at <http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/2011/12/Deportations‑and‑Latinos.pdf>.
- Lopez M.H., Motel S., Patten E., A Record 24 Million Latinos Are Eligible to Vote, but Turnout Rate Has Lagged That of Whites, Blacks, The Pew Hispanic Center, 1 October 2012,at <http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/10/01/a‑record‑24‑million‑latinos‑are‑eligible‑to‑vote/>.
- Lopez M.H., Taylor P., Latino Voters in the 2012 Election, The Pew Hispanic Center, 7 November 2012, at <http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/2012/11/2012_Latino_vote_exit_poll_analysis_final_11‑09.pdf>.
- Lopez Torregrosa L., ‘It’s Decision Time for Puerto Rico’, Los Angeles Times, 20 June 2011,at <http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/20/opinion/la‑oe‑lopeztorregrosa‑puerto‑rico‑20110620>.
- Marquez B., LULAC. The Evolution of a Mexican American Political Organization, Austin 1993.
- Martínez D., Who Speaks for Hispanics. Hispanic Interest Groups in Washington, Albany 2009.
- Maxwell W.E., Crain E., Santos A., Texas Politics Today, 2009‑2010, Boston 2009.
- Menchaca M., Recovering History, Constructing Race. The Indian, Black, and White Roots of Mexican Americans, Austin 2001 (Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long Series in Latin American and Latino Art and Culture).
- Merrill D., Paterson T. (eds.), Major Problems in American Foreign Relations. Documents and Essays, Vol. 1: To 1920, Boston 2009 (Major Problems in American History).
- Minushkin S., Lopez M.H., The Hispanic Vote in the 2008 Democratic Presidential Primaries, The Pew Hispanic Center, 7 March 2008, at <http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/reports/ 86.pdf>.
- Motel S., Patten E., Statistical Portrait of the Hispanic Population in the United States, 2011, ‘Table 14. Change in the Hispanic Population, by State. 2000‑2011’, p. 16, The Pew Hispanic Center, 15 March 2013, at <http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/2013/02/Statistical‑Portrait‑of‑Hispanics‑in‑the‑United‑States‑2011_FINAL.pdf>.
- Nevarez G., ‘Latinos Recommended for Obama Cabinet, as Administration Criticized for Lack of Diversity’, The Huffington Post, 22 January 2013, at <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/latinos‑recommended‑for‑obama‑cabinet_n_2525462.html>.
- ‘Obama’s Only Hispanic Cabinet Appointee Expected to be Confirmed as Labor Secretary’, Fox News Latino, 18 July 2013, at <http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2013/07/18/obama‑only‑hispanic‑cabinet‑member‑to‑be‑confirmed‑as‑labor‑secretary/>.
- ‘Recent Trends and Challenges for the Latino Vote’, The William C. Velásquez Institute Memorandum, 7 March 2012, at <http://www.wcvi.org/press_room/press_releases/2012/120308_release.pdf>.
- Reyes C., ‘Awakening the Sleeping Giant: 21st Century Latino Political Mobilization’. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association, 12 April 2007, at<http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p196303_index.html>.
- Saad L., ‘Hispanic Voters Put Other Issues Before Immigration’, Gallup, 25 June 2012, at <http://www.gallup.com/poll/155327/Hispanic‑Voters‑Put‑Issues‑Immigration.aspx>.
- Shea D.M., Burton, Michael J., Campaign Craft. The Strategies, Tactics, and Art of Political Campaign Management, Westport 2006 (Praeger Series in Political Communication).
- Spiller L.D., Bergner J., Branding the Candidate. Marketing Strategies to Win Your Vote, Santa Barbara 2011 (Praeger Series in Political Communication).
- Stolberg S.G., ‘Latinos Gain Political Muscle, and Fund‑Raisers Show How’, The New York Times,7 March 2013, at <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/08/us/politics/3‑fund‑raisers‑show‑latinos‑rising‑clout.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0>.
- Suh M., ‘2011 National Survey of Latinos’, The Pew Hispanic Center, 25 September 2013, at <http://www.pewhispanic.org/2013/09/25/2011‑national‑survey‑of‑latinos/>.
- Suro R., ‘The Hispanic Family in Flux’, Center on Children & Families Working Paper, November 2007, at <http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/papers/2007/11/hispanicfamily%20suro/11_hispanicfamily_suro.pdf>.
- Terkel A., ‘Voting Rights Act: Congress Rejected Major Changes to Section 5 in 2006 – But Not Without a Fight’, The Huffington Post, 11 March 2013, at <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/11/voting‑rights‑act‑congress_n_2829246.html>.
- Terrero N., ‘Record Number of Latinos in Congress’, NBC Latino, 7 November 2012, at <http://nbclatino.com/2012/11/07/race‑recap‑2012‑latino‑congressional‑winners‑and‑losers/>.
- Tumulty K., ‘Hispanic Campaign Donors Look for New Ways to Flex Their Political Muscle’, The Washington Times, 5 December 2012, at <http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/hispanic‑campaign‑donors‑look‑for‑new‑ways‑to‑flex‑their‑political‑muscle/ 2012/12/05/0e0d63ea‑3e2e‑11e2‑a2d9‑822f58ac9fd5_story.html>.
- Uradnik K., Johnson L.A., Hower S.B. (eds.), Battleground. Government and Politics, Vol. 1, Santa Barbara 2011 (Battleground Series).
- Wattenberg M.P., Where Have All the Voters Gone?, Cambridge (Mass.) 2002.
- Zieger R.H., Gall G.J., American Workers, American Unions. The Twentieth Century, Baltimore 2002 (American Moment).
Publication order reference