Odkrycie i konserwacja nieznanego sgraffita w Legnicy
UNCOVERING AND RESTORATION OF SGRAFFFITO IN LEGNICA
Languages of publication
In the second half of the 16th and at the beginning of the 17th century the biggest growth of sgraffito occured, aparat from Italy, in Silesia, Moravia and in Czechoslovakia. Adornments found in the Scholz House, 35 Rosenbergs Street in Legnica, make a good example of sgraffito. On the basis of investigations carried out it was stated that the adornments were preserved in a good state under plasters. It muJst be stressed that the rebuilding of the tenement house was not being carried out in accordance with restoration rules (e.g. the façade of the house was destroyed when the shop was being arranged at the ground floor). After completing the job of rebuilding, the restorers started the works associated with the uncovering of sgraffito. Plaster was being removed with hammers and scalpels while the sgraffito was protected with special bands of lime-sand mortar with addition of asbestos. Cracks and bubbles were eliminated with lime-casein injections. Places in which sgraffito mortar crushed were hardened with casein milk with addition of lime and phenol. Wlhen the adornments were uncovered, reconstruction of engobe and eompleitly destroyed drawings began. The author of this report is of the opinion that in spite of all the modern methods applied a number of mistakes were made. For instance some figurai representations underwent deformation. The Music Allegory, originally in a trailing dress, is now wearing tight-fitting trousers. The restorers must have missed the fold at the bottom of the dress and exposed the outline of legs. The author proves that the restorers did not get fully acquainted with the findings of laboratory experiments, which caused the removal of the fold at the bottom of the dress and exposed the Moreover, their knowledge of plaster tinting technology as applied to Silesian sgraffito was scanty. As no measures were undertaken in order to streighten the 17th century plasters, the author is of the opinion that the adornments will need restoration again in 10 or 15 years.
- Konferencja w sprawie konserwacji malowideł ściennych woj. wrocławskiego, „Ochrona Zabytkow”, XVIII (1965), nr 3, s. 56.
- T. R u d k o w s k i , Legnickie sgraffita renesansowe, „Szkice Legnickie”, IV (1967), s. 91
- M. L e j s k o v a-M a t y a ś o v a, Figuralni sgraffito ve Slavonicich a jeho restaurovani, „Pamatkova Реcе”, 1970, s. 152.
- H. N o w a k - N o w a c k a , Badania laboratoryjne probek pobranych z dekoracji sgraffitowej na fasadzie kamienicy przy ulicy Rosenbergow nr 35 w Legnicy, Krakow 1972, s. 1 (maszynopis w archiwum Oddziału PKZ w Krakowie).
- W. Gl a i s e , Zum Problem der Putz- und Steinkonservierung in der Denkmalpflege, „Jahrbuch der rheinischen Denkmalpflege”, XXVI (1966), s. 51—62.
Publication order reference