Współczesny pomnik religijny: Kolumna Chrystusa Króla Wszechświata na Ostrowie Tumskim.
Contemporary religious monument: The Column of Christ, King of the Universe on Ostrów Tumski
Languages of publication
The article presents the analysis of the Column of Christ, King of the Universe erected on Ostrów Tumski in 2000 to celebrate the millennium of the diocese in Wrocław. It maintains exceptionally traditional and conservative forms. It has been based on models originating in old art which have been followed in a direct, almost mechanical way. The concept of a column monument derives from the commonly known in Poland King Sigismund’s Column in Warsaw, while the figure of Christ the King is a faithful copy of a wooden sculpture from the turn of the 19th century, located in St. Maurice Church in Wrocław. Despite its not creative, lacking any artistic invention, hanging onto the chosen patterns, the authors of the Wrocław monument have made numerous mistakes and showed awkwardness. What strikes in the column is naiveness and simplification in forming details for example. The material also jars: black and red polished granite, which the cylinder, the base and the beam are made of. As an unquestionable failure comes the usage of stone blocks and slabs of small sizes to raise the column that must have been attached in many spots. Along with the poor level of performance it brought pitiful results. Not adapt- ing the height of the copied figure of Christ to the high level of exposing it is also doubt arousing. It is difficult to regard the Wrocław Millennium Column as a successful work. It is not convincing artistically, nor meaningful; it does not even bear the traces of craftsmen’s well-made job.
- Beata Maciejewska, Naukowcy: skończyć z pomnikowym terrorem, „Gazeta Wyborcza – Wrocław”, nr 125, 30.05.2008
- Kazimierz S. Ożóg, Miedziany Pielgrzym. Pomniki Jana Pawła II w Polsce w latach 1980-2005, Głogów 2007
- ks. Jarosław Superson SAC, Historia uroczystości Jezusa Chrystusa Króla Wszechświata, Kraków 2005
- Barbara Zielińska-Szymanowska, Kolumna Zygmunta III w Warszawie, Warszawa 1952
- Barbara Szymanowska, Kolumna Zygmunta, Warszawa 1972
- Krzysztof Lesiak, Hanna Samsonowicz, Kolumna Zygmunta III Wazy w Warszawie. Twórcy i źródła inspiracji, „Biuletyn Historii Sztuki”, LIX (1997)
- Roman Haczkiewicz, Kościół Mariacki w Żaganiu, Żagań 2003
Publication order reference