Evaluation of the Macedonian Transformation in the International Reports in the 2000s
Selected contents from this journal
Languages of publication
The author of the article presents the image of the Macedonian transformation dynamics according to the analysis of selected reports published annually by influential international research institutes, organizations and opinion‑forming media, which evaluate the political, economic and social situation in various countries of the world in the 2000s. The paper introduces the preliminary results of a research project involving critical analysis of reports on the situation in Macedonia and particular public policies of the Republic, which are included in publicly available and are cited – by politicians, the media, public opinion – international reports, which use the indicators commonly applied in the world. The main areas of analysis are: the degree of the competitiveness, economic freedom and rule of law on the market and the state; the level of the democracy, political rights and civil liberties; the degree of the equality and welfare of the society and – finally – the status in the security area, i.e. the main indicators of the peace and stabilization of the Republic of Macedonia.
- Charter of the United Nations, ‘Chapter VII: Action with Respect to Threats to the Peace, Breaches of the Peace and Acts of Agression’, UN, at <http://www.un.org/en/documents/charter/chapter7.shtml>.
- Conflict Barometer, The Heidelberg Institute for International Conflict Research (HIIK), at<http://www.hiik.de/en/konfliktbarometer/>.
- Corruption Perceptions Index, Transparency International, 2012, at <http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2012/results/>.
- Democracy Index 2012: Democracy is at a standstill, The Econimist Intelligence Unit, at <http://www.eiu.com/public/topical_report.aspx?campaignid=DemocracyIndex12>.
- Doing Business 2012. Doing Business in a More Transparent World. Comparing regulation
- for domestic firms in 183 economies, The International Bank for Reconstruction and
- Development/The World Bank, 20 October 2011, at <http://www.doingbusiness.org/reports/global‑reports/doing‑business‑2012>.
- Doing Business 2012. Economy Case Studies: FYR Macedonia, at <http://www.doingbusiness.org/reports/global‑reports/~/media/GIAWB/Doing%20Business/Documents/Reforms/Case‑Studies/2011/DB12‑Case‑Studies‑FYR‑Macedonia.pdf>.
- Doing Business 2013. Smarter Regulations for Small and Medium‑Size Enterprises. Comparing business regulations for domestic firms in 185 economies. 10th edition, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank, 23 October 2012, at <http://www.doingbusiness.org/reports/global‑reports/doing‑business‑2013>.
- Doing Business 2014. Understanding Regulations for Small and Medium‑Size Enterprises, The
- International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank, 29 October 2013, at <http://www.doingbusiness.org/reports/global‑reports/doing‑business‑2014>.
- ‘Doing Bussiness in Macedonia, FYR’ (Doing Business 2015: Going Beyond Efficiency), International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank, at <http://www.doingbusiness.org/data/exploreeconomies/macedonia‑fyr>.
- The Econimist Intelligence Unit, at .
- Freedom in the World 2012: Macedonia, Freedom House, at <https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom‑world/2012/macedonia#.VJAEOXs55‑w>.
- Freedom of the Press, Freedom House, 2014, at <http://www.freedomhouse.org/report‑types/freedom‑press>.
- The Global Gender Gap Report 2013, World Economic Forum, at <http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GenderGap_Report_2013.pdf>.
- Global Peace Index 2013. Measuring the state of global peace, Institute for Economics & Peace, at<http://www.visionofhumanity.org/pdf/gpi/2013_Global_Peace_Index_Report.pdf>.
- Gwartney J., Lawson R., Hall J., Economic Freedom of the World: 2012 Annual Report, Fraser Institute, 2012, at <http://www.freetheworld.com/2012/EFW2012‑complete.pdf>.
- Human Development Report 2011. Sustainability and Equity: A Better Future for All, UNDP, at <http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/reports/271/hdr_2011_en_complete.pdf>.
- Human Development Report 2013. The Rise of the South: Human Progress in a Diverse World,
- UNDP, at <http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/reports/14/hdr2013_en_complete.pdf>.
- Invest Macedonia. Agency for Foreign Investments and Export Promotion of the Republic of Macedonia, at <http://www.investinmacedonia.com>.
- ‘Macedonia: Ten Years after the Conflict’, International Crisis Group (Europe Report N°212), 11 August 2011, at <http://www.crisisgroup.org/en/regions/europe/balkans/macedonia/212‑macedonia‑ten‑years‑after‑the‑conflict.aspx>.
- Miller T., Holmes K.R., Feulner E.J., Index of Economic Freedom 2013, The Heritage Foundation and The Wall Street Journal, at <http://www.heritage.org/index/pdf/2013/ book/index_2013.pdf>.
- Ortiz I., Cummins M., When the Global Crisis and Youth Bulge Collide: Double the Jobs Trouble for Youth, UNICEF, February 2012, at <http://www.unicef.org/socialpolicy/files/Global_Crisis_and_Youth_Bulge_‑_FINAL.pdf>.
- Press Freedom Index 2013, Reporters Without Borders, <http://en.rsf.org/press‑freedom‑index‑2013,1054.html>.
- Puddington A., Freedom in the World 2013: Democratic Breakthroughs in the Balance, Freedom House, May 2013, at <http://www.freedomhouse.org/sites/default/files/FIW%202013%20Booklet.pdf>.
- Schwab K., The Global Competitiveness Report 2012‑2013, World Economic Forum, at <http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GlobalCompetitivenessReport_2012‑13.pdf>.
- Vaknin S., Macedonia: A Nation at a Crossroads, ed. by L. Rangelovska, Skopje 2009 (Project Gutenberg, 30151), at <http://www.narcissistic‑abuse.com/macedonia.pdf>.
- Visions of Humanity, Institute for Economics & Peace, at <http://www.visionofhumanity.org/>.
- World Fact Book, CIA, at <https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the‑world‑factbook/fields/2091.html>.
Publication order reference