Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome in a patient with Hashimoto disease
Languages of publication
Introduction: Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome (MRS) is a rare neurologic disease of unknown etiology. It is characterized by a triad of symptoms: relapsing peripheral facial paralysis; orofacial edema and fissured tongue. The pathological findings are varied but often characterized by the presence of noncaseating granuloma. There are few cases of MRS coexistent with Hashimoto disease in the literature. Purpose: To present a case of MRS coexistent with Hashimoto disease. Case presentation: We report a case of a 32-year-old woman with coexisting MRS and autoimmune thyroiditis, Hashimoto disease. Fissured tongue and recurrent cheilitis of the upper lip were observed. In her medical history, she had facial nerve palsy. Histopathological examination of the upper lips mucose membrane revealed the presence of granulomas confirming the diagnosis. Conclusions: Cooperation between clinicians and histopathologists is vital in diagnosing MRS. The presence of the anti-TPO antibodies in the case reported here could suggest a correlation between immunological alteration characteristics of autoimmune thyroiditis and MRS.
- Liu R, Yu S: Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome: a review of seven patients. J Clin Neurosci. 2013 Jul;20(7):993-5.
- Răchişan AL, Hruşcă A, Gheban D, Căinap S, Pop TL, Băican A, Fodor L, Miu N, Andreica M.: Granulomatous cheilitis of Miescher: the diagnostic proof for a Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2012; 53(3 Suppl):851-3.
- González-García C, Aguayo-Leiva I, Pian H, Fernández-Guarino M, Jaén-Olasolo P. Intralymphatic granulomas as a pathogenic factor in cheilitis granulomatosa/Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome: report of a case with immunohistochemical and molecular studies. Am J Dermatopathol. 2011 Aug; 33(6):594-8.
- Zgliczyński W. Endokrynologia część 1, Medical Tribune Polska, Warszawa 2011; p. 280-4.(Polish)
- Scagliusi P, Sisto M, Lisi S, Lazzari A, D’Amore M Hashimoto’s thyroiditis in Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome patient: casual association or related diseases?, Panminerva Med. 2008 Sep;50(3):255-7.
- Gaudio A, Corrado A, Santoro N, Maruotti N, Cantatore FP. Melkersson-Rosenthal in a patient with psoriatic arthritis receiving etanercept. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2013 Jan-Mar; 26(1):229-33.
- Braun-Falco O. Plewig G, Wolff H.H. Burgdorf W.H.C. Dermatologia. Lublin: Wydawnictwo Czelej 2010; p.1107-8. (Polish)
Publication order reference