Media Discourses that Normalize Colonial Relations: A Critical Discourse Analysis of (Im)migrants and Refugees
Languages of publication
The im(migration) and refugee crisis that are being exacerbated under the Trump administration, is a manifestation of empire-building and the long history of colonization of the Global South. A Marxist-humanist perspective recognizes these as consistent aspects of a clearly racist global capitalism that functions in the interest of multibillion dollar U.S. –based corporations and increasingly transnational corporations. Trade agreements, international economic policy, political intervention, invasion or the threat of these, often secure corporate interests in specific countries and regions. The authors use critical discourse analysis to examine the discourses around Mexican, Central American, and Syrian im(migrants) and refugees as examples of how U.S. mainstream media discourses normalize relations of domination between the U.S. and the Global South and by extension, between its peoples. The article posits these communities as an important revolutionary class for today.
- BBC News ((2018, Apr.) Syria air strikes: US and allies attack ‘chemical weapon sites, BBC News, April 14, Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43762251
- Chomsky, N. (2017). Optimism over despair: On capitalism, empire, and social change. Chicago, IL: Haymarket Books.
- Chomsky, N. (2002). Manufacturing consent: The political economy of the mass media.Pantheon.
- Cohn, M. (2018). Trump’s military deployment to the U.S.-Mexico border is illegal.Truthdig, Nov. 21. https://www.truthdig.com/articles/trumps-military-deployment-to-the-u-s-mexico-border-is-illegal/
- Dunayevskay, R. (2003). American civilization on trial: Black masses as vanguard. News and Letters Committees.
- Ekman, M. (2012). “Understanding accumulation: The relevance of Marx's theory of primitive accumulation in media and communication studies.” Triplec (Cognition, Communication, Co-Operation): Open Access Journal For A Global Sustainable Information Society, 10(2), 156-170.
- Fairclough, N. (1999) Global Capitalism and Critical Awareness of Language. Language Awareness, 8:2,71-83.
- Fairclough, N. (2001). The dialectics of discourse. Textus, 14(2), 231-242.
- Fairclough, N. & Wodak, R. (1997). “Critical discourse analysis,” in T. van Dijk (ed.), Discourse as Social Interaction. Longdon: Sage, pp. 258-85.
- FBI (2019, May). Terrorism. FBI, May 17, Retrieved from https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/terrorism
- Flores, A. (2019, May 8). Here's Why A Record Number Of Families Are Actually Showing Up At The Border. Retrieved from https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adolfoflores/border-record-families-asylumcentral- america-cbp
- Galeano’s, E. (1973). Open veins of Latin America: Five centuries of the pillage of a continent. New York: Monthly Review Press.
- Gamboa, S. (2019, May). More Mexican immigrants in the U.S. are highly skilled, study finds. NBC News, https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/more-mexican-immigrants-u-s-are-highly-skilled-study-findsn1003756
- Glenn, E.N. (2015). Settler colonialism as structure: A framework for comparative studies of U.S. race and gender formation. Sociology of Race and Ethnicity 1, (1): 54 –74.
- Gonzalez, J. (2000). Harvest of empire: A history of Latinos in America. New York: Penguin Books.
- Gramsci, A. (1971). Selections from the prison notebooks. International Publishers Co.
- Grate, J. (2019, May 15). Americans are sick of 'politics as usual' as immigration crisis reaches 'critical level,' says former NM governor, https://www.foxnews.com/politics/immigration-border-crisis-critical-level-congressmust- act-former-new-mexico-governor-says
- Herman, E. S. (2007). Word tricks and propaganda, in D. Macedo, & S. R. Steinberg (eds): Media Literacy. New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishing, Inc: 27-35.
- Huber, C., Reid, K., & Koenig, D. C. (September 10, 2018): Syrian refugee crisis: Facts, FAQs, and how to help. World Vision. Retrieved from https://www.worldvision.org/refugees-news-stories/syrian-refugee-crisis-facts
- Hudis, P. (2013, Nov.). The dialectic of the spatial determination of capital. Paper Presented to Rosa Luxemburg Conference, Istanbul Turkey, November 22.
- Hudis, P. & Anderson, K.B., eds. (2004). The Rosa Luxemburg Reader. New York: Monthly Review Press.
- Lichtman, R. (1993). Essays in critical social theory: Toward a Marxist critique of liberal ideology. New York: Peter Lang, 1993.
- Luxemburg, R. (2015). Accumulation of capital. Eastford, CT: Martino Fine Books.
- Machin, D. & Mayr, A. (2012). How to do critical discourse analysis. London, England: SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Macías-Rojas, P. (2016). From deportation to prison: The politics of immigration enforcement in post-civil rights America. New York University Press.
- Magdoff, F. (2013). Twenty-first century land grabs: Accumulation by agricultural dispossession. Monthly Review: An Independent Socialist Magazine 65 ( 6). https://monthlyreview.org/2013/11/01/twenty-first-centuryland- grabs/.
- Marcuse, H.(1964). One-dimensional man. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
- Marcuse, H. (1967). The end of utopia. lecture delivered at the Free University of West Berlin. https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/marcuse/works/1967/end-utopia.htm
- Marx, K. (1977). Capital, vol. I. Translated by Ben Fowkes. New York: Vintage Books.
- Marx, K. (1970). Letter to Sigfrid Meyer and August Vogt, April 9, 1870. In Marxists Internet Archive. https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1870/letters/70_04_09.htm.
- Masters, J. (2017, October 23). Syria’s largest oil field captured by US-backed forces. CNN. Retrieved from https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/23/middleeast/syria-oil-field-isis/index.html
- Ngai, M. M. (2004). Impossible Subjects: Illegal aliens and the making of the modern America. Princeton, NJ: University Press.
- OOCCORD. (2019, May). Muslim Latino Collaborative. Retrieved May 15, 2019, https://www.occord.org/muslim_latino_collaborative
- Robinson, W. (2008). Latin America and global capitalism: A critical globalization perspective. Baltimore, Maryland: The John Hopkins University Press.
- Geneva Sands and Priscilla Alvarez. (2019, May). Apprehensions on the US-Mexico border highest since 2009,
- CNN, May 8, https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/08/politics/border-patrol-apprehension-numbers/index.html
- U.S. State Department Refugee Data. (2019). Admissions & Arrivals. Retrieved from http://www.wrapsnet.org/admissions-and-arrivals
- Webb, W. (April 16, 2018). How the US occupied the 30% of Syria containing most of its oil, water and gas. Mint Press News. Retrieved from https://www.mintpressnews.com/how-the-us-occupied-the-30-of-syriacontaining-
Publication order reference