Before the First World War problems related to geographical sciences were practiced in Physiographical Commission of the Cracow Scientific Society and the Academy of Arts and Sciences, namely in Meteorological Section and Orographic-Geological Section. During the interwar period the Geographical Commission was established by the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1924 and was active until 1938. In this year the Board of the Academy decided to dissolve the Commission. Simultaneously, the proposal to appoint a new Geographical Commission was introduced but till the outbreak of the Second World War it could not be carried out. After the suspension of the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences extorted in 1952 by Communist authorities, the Commission of Geographical Sciences was formed in 1966 by the Cracow Branch of the Polish Academy of Sciences. It worked till 2011 and then was newly constituted or correctly reactivated as the Geographical Commission of the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences.