Languages of publication
This paper aims to provide principled and focussed discussion on key threads in LAMS (Learner Activity Management System) learning design literature (section 2) and seeks to look at issues pertaining to more advanced LAMS usage (section 3). The paper may be of interest to new and/or existing LAMS users who would like to read more about current issues in LAMS learning design literature and may be of use to the more adventurous computer-savvy LAMS user who aspires to exploit further the potential of certain LAMS tools. The version of LAMS described in this paper is Version 2.1.1 . It is hoped that study of this extended paper and its preceding introductory paper (Alexander 2008a, An overview of LAMS) will be of particular value to those wishing to gain more confidence in the proficient utilisation of LAMS and to those intending to engage in debate on current LAMS issues. The paper’s thematically diverse core sections may also heighten reader awareness of a pressing issue: the need to bring together the treasures of progressively more hard-core and swiftly changing computer technologies with the beliefs of an increasingly discerning education community.
- Alexander, C. (2007a). Using the Internet in TESOL . In S.Walker, M. Ryan & R, Teed. (Eds.), Proceeding of Design for Learning. 2007 (pp 28-34). Greenwich University
- Alexander, C. (2007b). A case study of English language teaching using the Internet in Intercollege's language laboratory. The International Journal of Technology, Knowledge and Society, 3(1), 1-15. http://christopherandrewalexander.cgpublisher.com/
- Alexander, C. (2008a). An overview of LAMS (Learning Activity Management System). Teaching English with Technology Journal, 8(3). http://www.iatefl.org.pl/call/j_web32.htm
- Alexander, C. (2008b, in press). The Internet in TESOL. In P. Pavlou (Ed.), Research on TEFL in Cyprus. Cyprus: English Department, University of Cyprus.
- Argyris, C. (1980). Inner Contradictions of Rigorous Research, New York: Academic Press.
- Asher, J. (1969). The Total Physical Approach to Second Language Learning. Modern Language Journal, 53, 3-17.
- Bamber, M. & Mutter, K. (2008). Do accountants tell it how it is? Do marketers like to solve open ended problems? A comparative reflection on learning. Paper presented at the LAMS Conference, Cadiz, 25 - 27 June 2008. Retrieved October 10, 2008, from http://lams2008.lamsfoundation.org/pdfs/CAD08_016%20Final.pdf
- Beetham, H. (2005). Review: Developing e-Learning Models for the JISC Practitioner Communities. Retrieved October 20, 2008 from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=elp_outcomes .
- Britain, S. (2004). A Review of Learning Design: Concept, Specifications and Tools: A Report for the JISC E-Learning Pedagogy Programme. Retrieved May 20, 2008 from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/ACF1ABB.doc .
- Brumfit, C. & Johnson, K. (1979). The Communicative Approach to Language Testing. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Burns, L. (2007). Using LAMS with ESOL students. This paper was one of a series of 21 from the ALT/QIA Making e-learning work conference. Retrieved May 30, 2008 from http://www.alt.ac.uk/docs/usinglams.pdf
- Burns, L. (2008). The implementation of learning design using LAMS (Learning Activity Management System) in an ESOL adult class. Teaching English with Technology, 8(4). Retrieved October 30, 2008 from
- Chomsky, N. (1964). Aspects of the Theory of Syntax. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Curran, C. (1976). Counseling-Learning in Second Languages. Apple River: Apple River Press.
- Dalziel, B. (2007). Designing LAMS templates for medical education. In L. Cameron & J. Dalziel (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2nd International LAMS Conference 2007:Practical Benefits of Learning Design (pp 43-49). 26th November 2007, Sydney: LAMS Foundation. http://lamsfoundation.org/lams2007sydney/papers.htm
- Dalziel, J. (2003a). Discussion Paper for Learning Activities and Meta-data. Macquarie E-learning Centre of Excellence (MELCOE). Retrieved May 10, 2008, from http://www.lamsinternational.com/documents/LearningActivities.Metadata.Dalziel.pdf .
- Dalziel, J. (2003b). Implementing Learning Design: The Learning Activity Management System (LAMS), Sydney: E-learning Centre of Excellence (MELCOE), Macquarie University. Retrieved May 10, 2008, from www.melcoe.mq.edu.au/documents/ASCILITE2003%20Dalziel%20Final.pdf .
- Dalziel, J. and Ghiglione, E. (2007). Using a Shibboleth Trust Federation to create “Joint Classes” with LAMS. In L. Cameron & J. Dalziel (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2nd International LAMS Conference 2007: Practical Benefits of Learning Design (p 50). 26th November 2007, Sydney: LAMS Foundation. http://lamsfoundation.org/lams2007sydney/papers.htm
- DfES (2005). Study Support website: http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/studysupport/
- Dobozy, E & Pospisil, R. (2008). Engaging the millennial first-year teacher education learner: A preliminary case study. School of Education and Centre for Learning and Teaching Edith Cowan. Paper presented at the LAMS Conference, Cadiz, 25 - 27 June 2008. Retrieved October 10, 2008, from http://lams2008.lamsfoundation.org/pdfs/CAD08_026%20Final.pdf
- Gattegno, C. (1972). Teaching Foreign Languages in School: The Silent Way. New York: Educational Solutions.
- Glenn, M. (2008). Future of Higher Education: How Technology Will Shape Learning (Economist Intelligence Unit white paper, sponsored by the New Media Consortium NMC) Retrieved November 05, 2008, from http://www.nmc.org/publications/future-higher-ed
- Hughes, V. (2007). Improving Cognitive Learning with LAMS. Retrieved April 10, 2008, from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/programmes/elearningpedagogy/kemnal.pdf
- Jacobson, J. W., Mulick, J. A. Schwartz, A. A. (1995). A history of facilitated communication: Science, pseudoscience, and antiscience: Science working group on facilitated communication. American Psychologist, 50, 750-765. http://www.apa.org/journals/jacobson.html
- Jameson, J., Walker, S. & Masterman, L. (2007). eLISA Independent Lifelong Learning Project. JISC eLISA project final report, Retrieved July 10, 2008, from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/programmes/distributedelearning/elisafinalreportjuly07.doc
- Kiely, R. (2001). Classroom evaluation – values, interests and teacher development. Language Teaching Research 5(3), 241–261.
- Krashen, S. & Terrell, T. (1983). The Natural Approach: Language Acquisition in the Classroom. Oxford: Pergamon.
- Laurillard, D. (2002). The implications of the SoURCE project for the role of learning objects. Retrieved November 15, 2008, from http://www.iml.uts.edu.au/autc/pdf/AUTC_laudrillard.pdf
- Laurillard, D. (2006). E-Learning in higher education. In P. Ashwin (Ed.) Changing Higher Education: The development of learning and teaching. London: Routledge. Retrieved June 21, 2008, from http://www.bacs.uq.edu.au/CurriculumReview/DianaLaurillard.pdf.
- Laurillard, D. (2008). Digital technologies and their role in achieving our educational ambitions, Professorial lecture, The Institute of Education, The University of London. Retrieved June 20, 2008, from
- Levy, P., Aiyegbayo, O., Little, S., Loasby, I. & Powell, A. (2008). Designing and Sharing Inquiry-Based Learning Activities: LAMS Evaluation Case Study. (Centre for Inquiry-based Learning in the Arts and Social Sciences, University of Sheffield). Retrieved June 20, 2008, from
- Littlejohn, A. (Ed.) (2003). Reusing Online Learning Resources: A Sustainable Approach to eLearning. London: Kogan Page.
- Lozanov, G. (1978). Suggestology and Outlines of Suggestopedy. New York: Gordon and Breach.
- Lucas, B., Masterman, L., Lee, S. & Gulc,E. (2006). Sharing and Reuse of Learning Designs for English Studies: A UK Higher Education Perspective. In R. Philip., A. Voerman & J. Dalziel (Eds.), Proceedings of the First International LAMS Conference 2006:Designing the Future of Learning (pp 55-64). 6-8 December 2006, Sydney: LAMS Foundation. University. http://lamsfoundation.org/lams2006/papers.htm
- Masterman, E. & Lee, S. (2005a). Evaluation of the practitioner trial of LAMS: Final Report.Learning Technologies Group, Oxford University Computing Services. JISC.Report. Retrieved March 10, 2008, from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/LAMS%20Final%20Report.pdf
- Masterman, L. & Lee, S. (2005b). Reusing Learning Materials in English Literature and Language: Perspectives from Three Universities. Report of an investigation carried out for the English Subject Centre, funded by the HEA and JISC. Retrieved November 15, 2008, from
- McDonald, J. & Star, C. (2006). Designing the future of learning through a community of practice of teachers of first year courses at an Australian university. In R. Philip, A Voerman & J. Dalziel (Eds.), Proceedings of the First International LAMS Conference 2006: Designing the Future of Learning (pp 65-76). 6-8 December 2006, Sydney: LAMS Foundation. http://lamsfoundation.org/lams2006/papers.htm
- Nash, V., Dutton, W.H. & Peltu, M. (2004). Innovative pathways to the next level of e-learning. (OII Forum Discussion Paper No. 2). Retrieved March 10, 2008, from
- Pearce, K. & Cartmill, M. (2007). ALeD Project – Final Report – Version 2. Retrieved October 15, 2008, from http://www.jisc.ac.uk/publications/publications/aledfinal.aspx
- Russell, T., Varga-Atkins, T. & Roberts, D. (2005). Learning Activity Management System Specialist Schools Trust pilot. A Review for Becta and the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust by CRIPSAT, Centre for Lifelong Learning, University of Liverpool. Retrieved March 10, 2008, from http://www.cripsat.org.uk/current/elearn/bectalam.htm
- Smart, C. (2005). Effective Learning Design using LAMS. Retrieved October 10, 2008, from http://www.elearning.ac.uk/features/lamswshop
- Sommaruga, L., Catenazzi, N. & De Angelis, K.(2008). Practical experiences of reusing LAMS pedagogical templates. Paper presented at the LAMS Conference, Cadiz, 25 - 27 June 2008. Retrieved October 10, 2008, from http://lams2008.lamsfoundation.org/pdfs/CAD08_05%20Final.pdf
- Stecyk, A. (2008). Using LAMS to facilitate an effective blended learning project at University of Szczecin (Poland). University of Szczecin, Faculty of Management and Economics of Services. Paper presented at the LAMS Conference, Cadiz, 25 - 27 June 2008. Retrieved October 10, 2008, from http://lams2008.lamsfoundation.org/pdfs/CAD_003%20Full%20paper.pdf
- Walker, S. & Masterman, L. (2006). Learning designs and the development of study skills: Reuse and community perspectives. In R. Philip, A Voerman & J. Dalziel. (Eds.), Proceedings of the First International LAMS Conference 2006: Designing the Future of Learning (pp 89-98). 6-8 December 2006, Sydney: LAMS Foundation. http://lamsfoundation.org/lams2006/papers.htm
- Widdowson, H. (1978). Teaching Language as Communication. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Yalden, J. (1983). The Communicative Syllabus: Evolution, Design and Implementation. Oxford: Pergamon.
Publication order reference