SAME TIME SAME PLACE: DO MALL CLASSROOMS EXIST?
Languages of publication
This paper seeks to help clarify whether Mobile-Assisted Language Learning (MALL) is primarily an independent self-study activity or whether MALL classrooms exist. The research hypothesised that a large number of users frequently using specific MALL apps, at the same time and in the same city location, may indicate the existence of MALL classrooms. The research makes use of big data, in the form of Google Analytics data, collected from two EFL learning mobile apps. The data was gathered over a five month period, in 2015, from more than 6,000 cities worldwide. The research, in doing so, opens a sociological window into the world of MALL, providing a sample of actual user behaviour. The results strongly suggest that independent study is almost certainly the main form of MALL activity. However, the research also concludes that MALL classroom-driven activity may exist in some cities.
- Ahmad, A., & Farrukh, F. (2015). Significance of social applications on a mobile phone for English task-based language learning. Teaching English with Technology, 15(2), 94-105.
- Analytics Help, (n.d.). Retrieved December 29, 2015 from Google: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6083676?hl=en
- Crutzen, R., Roosjen, J. L., & Poelman, J. (2012). Using Google Analytics as a process evaluation method for Internet- delivered interventions: An example on sexual health. Health Promotion International, 28(1), 36-42.
- Fang, W. (2007). Using Google Analytics for improving library website content and design: A case study. Library Philosophy and Practice, 9(2), 1-17.
- Franklin, T. (2011). Mobile learning: At the tipping point. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 10(4), 261-275.
- Google Analytics, (n.d.). Retrieved December 29, 2015 from Google: https://www.google.com/analytics
- Hasan, L., Morris, A., & Probets, S. (2009). Using Google Analytics to evaluate the usability of e-commerce sites. In M. Kurosu (Ed.), Human Centered Design (pp. 697-706). Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.
- Hess, K. (2012). Discovering digital library user behavior with Google Analytics. Code4Lib Journal, 17.
- Kim, H., & Kwon, Y. (2012). Exploring smartphone applications for effective mobile-assisted language learning. Multimedia-Assisted Language Learning, 15(1), 31-57.
- List of towns and cities with 100,000 or more inhabitants (2015). Retrieved January 1, 2016 from Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_with_100,000_or_more_inhabitants
- Moreno, A. I., & Vermeulen, A. (2015). Profiling a MALL app for English oral practice a case study. Journal of Universal Computer Science, 21(10), 1339-1361.
- Nazarov, U. R. (2015). Course work: Management of self-access facilities at secondary school. Retrieved from http://library.ziyonet.uz/ru/book/download/24233
- United Nations statistics division - demographic and social statistics. (2014). Demographic Yearbook 2014. New York: The United Nations. Retrieved January 1, 2016, from http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/products/dyb/dyb2.htm
Publication order reference