Land-use planning and public participation in Norway and Poland – comparative study
Languages of publication
This report is a comprehensive study of Norwegian and Polish spatial planning systems. It focuses on land-use part of planning and shows basic similarities and differences between those two planning policies. The aim of this report was to study and analyze the planning systems in both countries. During the preparation of this report, authors posed the following questions: – What kind of relations are there between all the planning levels stated in the legislation procedure as well as in practice? – Which planning documents concern land-use management? – What are the main trends of spatial management in urban areas? – How in practice does public participation in spatial planning process look? During the research authors attempted to answer those questions by using different methods. Firstly, professional documentation has been investigated. The main data sources were planning legislation and documents (including maps), as well as professional literature. Secondly, informal interviews were conducted. Fifteen interviews with planning researchers and with local and regional planners were carried out in Norway. Interviews were informal, however, they were based on previously prepared key-words list. Besides the analysis of the planning system in both countries, the report also includes two case-studies. In this report Oslo and Kraków were taken into consideration. In the report an emphasis was put also on environmental issues in spatial policy, public participation and privatization process of planning.
- Falleth E.I., Hovik S., 2006, Local management of protected areas. An evaluation of municipal management in Setesdal Vesthei – Rylylkeheiane, NIBR Report 2006:18.
- Falleth E.I., Johnsen V., 1996, Coordination or rhetoric?, An evaluation of the county plans 1996-99, NIBR Report 1996:20.
- Falleth E:I., Saglie I.L., Strand A., Tennøy, 2005, Forms of governance in urban development: From participation as a plus factor in government to participation as a strategy in governance, NIBR.
- Hansen M.A, 1995, Environmental assesent of certain plans and programs. A contextual evaluation of a direct proposed by the EU Commission in a Norwegian setting NIBR Report 1995:5.
- Harvold K., Hanssen M.A., Strand A., 2004, Rikspoliske retningslinjer for jordvernet? NIBR Rapport 24.
- Miljøverndepartmentet, 1999, Kommuneplanstatus Status i arbeidet med kommuneplanens arealdel i alle kommuner i Norge pr 15.2.1999.
- Miljøverndepartmentet, 2005, Regulation on Environmental Impact Assesments of 1 April 2005.
- Minister Infrastruktury, Raport o stanie zagospodarowania kraju, projekt, 2004, Warszawa.
- Minister Środowiska, 2002, Rozporządzenie Ministra Środowiska z dnia 9 września 2002 w sprawie opracowań ekofizjograficznych.
- Minister Środowiska, 2002, Rozporządzenie Ministra Środowiska z dnia 14 listopada 2002 w sprawie szczegółowych warunków, jakim powinna odpowiadać prognoza oddziaływania na środowisko dotycząca miejscowych planów zagospodarowania przestrzennego.
- Ministerstwo Transportu i Budownictwa, 2006, Planowanie przestrzenne w gminach, informacja o wynikach badania statystycznego.
- Naustdalslid, J., Tombre E (ed.), 1997, Compedium of Spatial Planning Systems and Polices, Norway, NIBR Report 24.
- Niewiadomski Z., 2003, Planowanie przestrzenne. Zarys systemu, Warszawa, Wydawnictwo Prawnicze LexisNexis.
- Nordahl B., 2006, Deciding on Development. Collaboration between markets and local governments, Doctoral thesis, TrondheimNTNU.
- Næss P., Saglie I.L., Głowacki W., Dunin-Woyseth H., 1997, Environmental consideration in physical planning in Norway and Poland,NIBR Report 6.
- Planning and Building Act, Act No. 77 of 14 June 1985 with latter amendments.
- Statistical Yearbook of Norway, 2005, Statistic sentralbyrå.
- Statistical Yearbook of Poland, 2005, Central Statistic Office.
- The Norwegian Ministry of Local Government and Labour Housing and Building Department, 1996, From Reconstruction to Environmental Challenges, Norway’s National Report to the UN Conference on Human Settlements, Habitat II, Oslo.
- Ustawa z dnia 27 kwietnia 2001 Prawo ochrony środowiska, (Environment Protection and Management Act, 27th April 2001 with later ammendments).
- Ustawa z dnia 16 kwietnia 2004 o Ochronie przyrody, (Nature Conservation Act, 16th April 2004).
- Ustawa z dnia 27 marca 2003 o planowaniu i zagospodarowaniu przestrzennym (Spatial Planning and Spatial Managment Act, 27th March 2003).
- Vibeke J., Klausen J.E., Røe P.G., 1996, An evaluation of the use of national policy guidelines for planning, NIBR Repot 1996:9.
- Źróbek S., Zachaś M., 2005, The analysis of conflicts concerning urban area use: a case of Olsztyn (Poland), International Journal of Strategic Property Management, 233-246.
Publication order reference