A Return to Pre-Modern Principles of Economic Science: Editors’ Introduction
Languages of publication
This edition of Studia Gilsoniana inaugurates submission of articles on economic science based upon pre-modern principles of philosophy/science. Today, many journals address the intersection of economics and philosophy. Their contributors include practicing economists, economic historians, economist-philosophers, philosopher-economists, and economic methodologists. Research in this interdisciplinary field began to appear in the 1970s and later took shape in the 1980s with the appearance of its specialized academic journals. Today, the intersection of economics and philosophy is a vibrant area of inquiry and research. Books and journal pages are replete with references to classical philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle and their contributions to economic science. However, stronger connections need to be made related to the application of economic principles from the past to the present based upon enduring pre-modern principles of science. This is precisely what this inaugural issue celebrates.
- Aquinas, St. Thomas. Commentary on the De Trinitate of Boethius. Questions 5 and 6. Translated with introduction and notes by Armand A. Maurer. Toronto: Pontifi-cal Institute of Mediaeval Studies, 4th edition, 1986.
- Aristotle. Politics. In The Basic Works of Aristotle, edited by Richard McKeon. New York: Random House, 1941. Twelfth Printing.
- Gilson, Étienne. The Unity of Philosophical Experience. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1999.
- Mäki, Uskali. “Methodology and Economics: Complaints and Guidelines.” Finnish Ec-onomic Papers 3, no. 1 (Spring 1990): 77–84.
- Redpath, Peter A. A Not-So-Elementary Christian Metaphysics, Vol. 1. St. Louis, Mo.: En Route Books & Media, 2015.
- Redpath, Peter A. A Not-So-Elementary Christian Metaphysics, Vol. 2. St. Louis, Mo.: En Route Books & Media, 2016.
- Redpath, Peter A. The Moral Psychology of St. Thomas Aquinas: An Introduction to Rag-amuffin Ethics. St. Louis, Mo.: En Route Books & Media, 2017.
- Schumpeter, Joseph A. History of Economic Analysis, edited by Elizabeth Boody Schum-peter. Great Britain: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, 2006. First published in 1954. Available online at: http://www.urbanlab.org/articles/economics/Schumpeter%201954%20-%20history%20economic%20analysis.pdf. Accessed Dec. 10, 2019.
- Wallace, William A. From a Realist Point of View: Essays in Philosophy of Science. New York: University Press of America, 2nd edition, 1983.
Publication order reference